2012 couldnt have went much better.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2012 couldnt have went much better.

Post  indiana boy on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:51 pm

After last years nightmare season as far as full time filming went I was ready to put 2011 behind me. I was finally able to get my best friend sold on the idea of filming together. We have hunted together our entire lives and I was really missing that last year. So we started running cams as usual and were getting some great bucks through early summer then I got an email I knew would eventually come but was hoping not any time soon. We were notified the property we were going to primarily hunt should be turned over to the state and we wouldnt be able to hunt it anymore once that happened. We came to the conclusion to just pull everything and start over somewhere else in fear we would get the email saying we couldnt hunt anymore right before or during season then we wouldnt have anywhere at all. So we went on the property hunt. We secured some good property owned by Brent's family and were getting some nice young deer but the age just wasnt there. We hunted the property hard for the first 3 weeks of October and were constantly seeing the same good but young deer. Since we hadnt gotten any news on the property changing hands we put some cams back out and to our surprise we were getting awesome bucks all over the farm. We knew we had to get some sets hung and hung quick before the rut got to rocking.
The first night in the stand we had an encounter with one of our hit list deer but he wouldnt close the distance. We continued seeing decent bucks that week and on the 28th of October we were set up on the edge of a CRP field. Clear across the field we watched another one of our hit list deer tending a doe. We knew we had to get a set over there. We hung the set the next day.
Our first sit in it was on Halloween. We hadnt been there probably 20 minutes when a 2 yr old 8 pt came cruising through. After that it was a constant flow of deer. We called in small buck after small buck and we were wondering where the older deer were. After a short break in the action I hear a grunt behind us. I turn around and all I could see was a doe. She walked through with nothing behind here. I knew he was going to show soon though. About that time I catch movement on the levy and see a rack coming. Took me a second to figure out that it was the buck we had seen a couple days before in almost the same spot. He was making his way to the scapes that were 20 yards from our stands. I asked Brent about 30 times if he was still on him and when he stepped into the 20 yard shooting lane I took the shoot. He took off and piled up about 60 yards away. It was my first archery buck and film and probably the best all around hunt I have had in years. I grossed him out at 145 6/8

Trail cam pic about 100 yards from our stands.

So November 8th rolls around. We hadnt hunted much since I shot my buck do to work. We decided it was time to slip back into the same stand I shot mine out of. The evening started off almost identical as the evening of my hunt. As we sat there were heard some chasing in the CRP. Over the levy comes a big ol doe and a spike behind her running her hard. As we sat there kind of confused as to why a little dink deer was chasing that doe so hard with all the bigger bucks in the area that we had already seen. As Brent is doing a short interview describing what had taken place we hear some more running coming from the same spot. I look on the levy and there he is. Our number 1 hit list deer we call Trip because of his triple main beam on his left side. He is searching hard for the track of the doe and when he finally cuts it he takes off at a dead run. At this point Im just trying to get him to slow down and hoping to just get a little footage of him before he ran off. To our surprise my mouth grunts actually turn him towards us and he runs straight to us and stops broadside at 10 yards. Brent puts a shot on him that we thought was perfect. After he runs off about 80 yards he lays down. We expect him to expire right there to our surprise he gets up and beds down 2 more times before he musters up enough strenght to walk off down into a creek bed and we loose sight of him. We wait about an hour until its pitch black and sneak out. We watched the footage time and time again and were certain the shot was double lung but couldnt figure out how in the world this deer did what he did. We decided on 6 hours would be a safe bet before we went back in to look for him. We picked up the blood trail and follow it to the area we last saw him. Look up 10 yards away and he is laying stone dead. He was more than likely dead before we even climbed out of the tree but there was no way we would risk pushing him. He had a 152" frame and 28" in the extra beams for a final gross score of 180". Both of these amazing hunts will air next year on Open Season Tv on the Pursuit Channel

Trail cam from summer

indiana boy
12 Point
12 Point

Back to top Go down

Re: 2012 couldnt have went much better.

Post  Godfather on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:06 am

Congrats on a great season Kyle!!! I'm looking forward to watching both of the hunts once they are out!
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:31 am

Wow! Amazing bucks, great story and wicked field pics. Nice work, congrats!

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:49 am

Great season! Congrats.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  booner40 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:56 am

Congrats to both of u! Those are some awesome deer.
booner40
Pope & Young
Pope & Young

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueID_LDS on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:04 am

WOW those are nice deer. CONGRATS! Thanks for the great story, too. I look forward to seeing the show.
BlueID_LDS
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:31 pm

Congrat's to both you and Brent,
Outstanding photo's , and buck's, Kyle
Great job you two!!
And thanks for sharing your success with us.

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  impactarcher on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Beautiful buck man, congratulations!

impactarcher
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  30pointbuck on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:10 pm

Congrats those are some great bucks.

B&B Archery Pro Staff
Bucknasty Custom Bow Strings Pro Staff
808 Bow Slings Field Staff

Mathews Switchback XT 67#@29"
Carbon Impact Hunter XLT-6000
SPOTT-HOGG HUNTER HOGG IT 5 .019
SCHAFFER DROP AWAY RESTS
30pointbuck
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  OH Arrow Flinger on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:53 am

Those are some bruisers Kyle!!! Congrats on one heck of a season; I cant wait to see the Open Season episodes!
OH Arrow Flinger
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

http://www.tidecoys.com

Back to top Go down

Post  buckeyehunter on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:52 pm

Congrats on a great season.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down