2012 Season

Go down

2012 Season

Post  Willy on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:48 am

Been going back through a ton of pictures from the season that has just closed. It was a very strange year for sure. It turned out to be a really good season for everyone, we went 100% this year. Everyone tagged. 3 during the early Muzzleloader, 2 during archery and 2 during the rifle season. We only took 2 bucks off the main farm this year, neither bucks were oness we had any history with the rest all came off small farms we lease within a few miles of the main place. Having knowlege of what was taken around us I am a firm believer now in the late winter spring summer protein feeding program we started 3 years ago. Not only is it helping the resident bucks but its pulling bucks and does from a farther distance to our places. We are going into the 3rd straight year of a terrible drought, I know some of you had a bad summer last year when it got dry, it had ill effects on alot of food plots and row crops for alot of folks, but I dont think you can really comprehend what a sustained 3 year drought does to a place unless you live it. The wheat that is normally 6 to 10 inches tall and lush green now is barley noticable in most fields, in some you can see it, but the dirt between the rows in visable. There has been zero snow fall, and no rain this winter. It needs to start raining soon or this spring will be worse than last year.
Despite all that, we went 100% . 7 bucks , over 1000 INCHES OF ANTLER !!! not bad for the conditions we have had and the ridiculous increase in hunters in the area.

early Muzzleloader

early Muzzleloader

early Muzzleloader

Archery

Archery

Rifle

rifle
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: 2012 Season

Post  G3 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:21 pm

I would say you guys did real well Willy. A great group of bucks you have there.

out of curiosity, how deep are the wells you guys have out there? Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a 5 inch well drilled and create a good water source? Seems to me that a good consistent water source would be the best deer draw you could get in an area that struggles for water so often.
G3
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:15 pm

G3 wrote:I would say you guys did real well Willy. A great group of bucks you have there.

out of curiosity, how deep are the wells you guys have out there? Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a 5 inch well drilled and create a good water source? Seems to me that a good consistent water source would be the best deer draw you could get in an area that struggles for water so often.

We have great water for the deer. We have a spring creek that flows year round through the middle of the main farm and most of the leases have at least a portion of them that have spring creeks on them. Drinking water isnt the problem. Its over all moisture for the vegetation. The soil is a very porous soil, its loaded with gypsum and sand. the surface moisture evaportates so quickly with the blazing sun and extream low humidity levels we have. We dont need alot but there has to be some rain fall to get the native forages to grow. We all love to think that we are taking care of the deer on our places when we have lush green food plots, but the truth is I dont care where your at or how many acres of food plots you have, a deers diet is made up of 90% weeds in the spring and summer. That is a fact. The same things that make a food plot attactive, rain and fertilizer, make the plants that they instinctivly seek out grow. The things we do on a good year are nothing more than desert. You could never grow a clover plot on my place. It just wouldnt happen. The soil is wrong, the moisture isnt right. The same reason they dont try to grow beans or corn, well some try but they do it to claim the insurance when it fails. No, on a normal year the deer do just fine without any help from hunters or well meaning land owners. They get all they need from the soil. As long as it rains and allows the plants to grow and uptake the goody that mother nature has already put there.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:38 am

Congrat's to All of you , on an incredible season,
and some mighty fine Kansas whitetail's
Willy have you, deceided on what kind of mount your doing ?
Tell that first buddy of your's I would love to see that mount when he get's it back, I took a fancy to the buck when you first posted his picture

Last edited by bowGal on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  BBinPA on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:50 am

Looks like you guys had a great season.
BBinPA
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:39 am

awesome season for sure!

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  BuckRubIL on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:46 am

You guys always have a good season Willy, and the fact you can keep it going even in the toughest of conditions is proof that you guys are doing it right. Smile

Congrats on another great year and looking forward to what 2013 has in store for you guys.
BuckRubIL
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  nyhunter20 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:03 am

Even with tough conditions you guys killed some studs. Congrats on a successful season.
nyhunter20
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:54 am

Congrats on a great season! Every one of those bucks is a trophy

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:27 pm

You guys dropped some nice bucks for sure, congrats. The last couple times I drove through the Northern rockies I seen a big increase in irrigation systems, the wheeled rotating kind. Are there many in your area and possibly on one of your farms?
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:06 pm

ridgerunner wrote:You guys dropped some nice bucks for sure, congrats. The last couple times I drove through the Northern rockies I seen a big increase in irrigation systems, the wheeled rotating kind. Are there many in your area and possibly on one of your farms?

They are but they are heavily regulated new wells right now are basically shut off, not allowed to pump enough to help. The closer you are to a river the harder they are on you about controlling the water. You have to keep a log, your pumps have to have a sealed meter. Last summer they were flying planes at night with infrared to pic up the heat coming off the pumps running, it has been crazy. A basic 80 acre system , not including the well, just the pump and the arms, is around 30K.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Godfather on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:28 pm

Congrats to you and your crew on a great season once again Willy!!
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:23 pm

My first look at your bucks Willy, great ones!  Really interesting to hear about what its like out there, nothing like what i have ever experienced.  must have been wicked earlier this summer, has it gotten any better?  I'd also like to see the mount pics.
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum