Great Weekend

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Great Weekend

Post  Willy on Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:00 pm

just a couple pictures from this past weekend. Good friend that comes over every season and I had a blast. We ended up filling 3 of our 4 tags. Dave got both his birds, I am still carrying 1 kansas tag. Bird numbers in our area are as low as I have ever seen them. Traditional areas held a few but nothing like usual. The lack of ground cover for the poults the last 3 years in a row has took its toll. Despite the low numbers we were able to get on a couple. We both got to camp late Thursday so no time to do any roosting. We went to the spot I had the two Toms on me the weekend before for our first set up. We arrived just as the woods were waking up and the birds were gobbling in the same area I had seen them roost the week before. The dawn made it to risky to carry the blind and all the gear in close so we had to set up about 600 yards away. Just as last week the birds seemed to be fired up, they were hammering to every crow and every hen yelp we heard. But when they hit the ground they compleatly shut up. The 10th and 11th there was a terrible ice storm, I wasnt sure how it had effected the birds or their patterns, this morning it was still and cold, around 30 but the sun was bright and there were no clouds so as soon as the sun got up it began to warm pretty quick. We contemplated trying to make a move around 9 when we hadnt heard a bird in over an hour but decided instead to leave the spot and the blind and come back in the afternoon, before leaving I wanted to check a camera I had set out the previous weekend. We walked from the blind to the camera spot about 200 yards away. the area showed signs of the birds being there since the rains and ice which was in couraging. We walked back to the blind and were about to pull the decoys and put them in the blind for later when I looked down the field to the spot we just left, were the camera was and I saw a string of hens entering the field. We both dove in the blind just in time to see the two strutters come on the field. We had flipped a coin earlier to see who would shoot first and who would video and I was up first. Dave turns the camera on and starts filming as I start calling. The birds answer and look our way, just in time for Dave to tell me that the memory card on the camera is full ! We suck at trying to film! I take the camera and try to erase some stuff to free up room, Dave say the birds are coming, I look up and they are in a dead run. No time to mess with the camera. I turn on the go pro thats on my bow and get ready. One of the toms heads into challenge my decoy and I 12 ring him. He was stone dead at impact. He jumped and landed on his head and never flopped a bit. The other tom was leaving with the hens when a gust of wind blew and the tail fan on my dead bird kicked up and waved like a flag in the wind, the other Tom turned and ran towards mine . Dave gets his bow and comes to full draw, I am trying to film him with the go pro on my bow, I pan to Dave and then towards the bird. Dave has never shot a bird with his bow before. He delivers a perfect shot with a muzzy tipped arrow and his bird takes off like a rocket. The bird makes it a hundred yards and falls over dead. It was all over really quickly once it started.
The rest of the weekend was slow with very little gobbling. I think the ice storm had the birds all jacked up. We decided yesterday to try some coyote hunting, but the winds were crazy and that didnt work out. At the last coyote stand instead of a yote responding I hear a faint gooble in the distance. We didnt have any weapons with us except our yote rifles and all the turkey calls and decoys were in the truck. Dave had an 8 hour drive home and it was already 10 am. I told him if he wanted I thought we could get back to my truck and grab his shot gun and we could come in a different way and that I felt pretty confident that I could get us close to that bird but it was up to him. He was in so we slipped back a bit and then started a slow jog back to the truck, stopping to pick up a couple sheds we saw along the way. We get Daves gun and I grab the video camera, I am not taking any weapon. If we get lucky on this bird by god we will get it on video! We make it back to the area we heard the bird, its been about an hour since we heard the gobble, fingers crossed I take out the slate and let a yelp rip in the wind. Boom! he answers and he sounds close. We get set up quickly, in the rush we forgot to grab a decoy. So its just the calls. It worked like a written script, the bird coming in to us with the sun in his face , we were tucked under a big cedar tree in dark shadows so we were hid great. The bird wasnt nervous but he wasnt in any hurry either. I was able to get a bunch of great video on him. I played with the slte to make him gooble so I could get it on the video, this was going to be perfect. And it was, right up till Dave pulled the trigger just after I turned the camera off! The bird goes behind a big locust tree and is heading away. I tell Dave to hold on and that I would turn him and get him coming back our way, I turned off the camera because we couldnt see the bird and I wanted to get a diapram call out of my vest to use with the slate to pull him back. I get the calls out and start a fighting purr deut with the slate and my mouth call, the bird spins around and starts back towards us. Just as I am reach for the record botton to start the camera , KA BOOM! The turkey is flopping Dave is jumping up running and I am left there chin on my chest because we have screwed up another Kill shot. Oh well. Glad we dont do it for a living! We suck at filming, but we rock at KILLING !
just a couple pictures from the weekend. Cant wait to 2014

Daves from yesterday

bonus attractions while Turkey hunting, you know your deer are relaxed when they come out in the open to bed down

this last one is for the guys on team 2, who are saying to themselves about now, damn I wish I hadnt run my mouth so much

Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Great Weekend

Post  OH Arrow Flinger on Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:16 pm

a huge congrats to you both!!! Having a camera sure can add some difficulty to the hunt. Great looking birds Willy! cheers cheers
OH Arrow Flinger
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

http://www.tidecoys.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:32 pm

Looks like an awesome day in the field Willy. Congrats to both of you.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Willy wrote:this last one is for the guys on team 2, who are saying to themselves about now, damn I wish I hadnt run my mouth so much

scratch Willy, You only killed one bird, and I know that a few others got a guide to call a few in but this is so far from even getting started. And when our fearless bald leader kills, even if it is only a jake, you know Barb will look like this. pale

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:39 pm

Excellant read Willy!!
Ya I have to agree with you"".
You and Dave seem to totally suck at the camera thing lol!
But yes indeed you two are some true Red Neck Turkey Killing Machine's,
Beautiful photo's,
Well done Guy's!!!!!!!!!!!

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  impactarcher on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:59 pm

Great job Willy! Those birds sure are purdy.

impactarcher
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:27 am

Awesome pics! Congrats.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down