Holly's first day deer hunting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Holly's first day deer hunting

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Well just over a year ago when I first met her, Holly, who is a complete country girl at heart and bakes the best apple dumpling I've ever had, told me that she like to eat venison but would never be able to hunt. It all just seemed so far outside of her comfort zone. So I just would take her along on my scouting trips and she would take her camera and was loving taking pictures of the God's creation. As I was hanging a stand, she would be taking pictures of all the little things that so many of us would just walk past, like the different little mosses, flowers and the little insects that I never paid any attention to. So then came the youth day this past August, where I was helping with introducing kids to archery and Holly was with me putting up the balloons for the kids to shoot at. While we were setting up, Holly asked if she could give it a try with one of the compounds that was there. So we set her up and she did pretty good. At the end of the day, she said that was a lot of fun. I think I'd like to get a bow, just to shoot with you. I don't think I would want to hunt. So on our next trip down state we stopped in at Cabela's and took a look at the bows. She picked up a Diamond and was pounding arrows together. We had it set to 40# and got her a half dozen pink arrows and a pink release. The more she shot, the more she was thinking she might want to give hunting a try. So she went and took a hunters safety course and bought a license and I put a stand up in the back yard for her to practice shooting from.  We then made plans that I would take her the first evening. I knew where I wanted to take her but didn't put up the stand yet. It took me until just after 5 to get the stand hung and I climbed above her and set up in my tree saddle. About 6 o'clock she tapped my boot and said she saw a deer. I looked to see a doe heading our way. She had no fawns and looked old. When she got close she saw the ladder stick that was now only a foot off the trail and she didn't like it. She then circled down wind and gave Holly a perfect shot. The only thing is Holly didn't have a doe tag because of getting her license so late in the year. When she got our wind she followed her nose to see us in the tree and wheeled around and bounded to about 50 yards then slowly walked away. Within a few minutes of her going out of sight I see Holly grab her bow again. I look up and see a 6pnt out at about 50 yards but circling down wind. I gave a grunt but he kept going. When he got down wind he was behind a laurel bush and we couldn't see him. He was stuck and there and I'm guessing he was smelling up and looking for us. Then I saw Holly's focus turn to her right and I look to see a 2yr old 8pnt quickly working into range. Holly drew early. I was glad to see that the buck didn't stop and walked straight into a shooting lane. When he hit the shooting lane I gave a little grunt and stopped him. Holly took her time and then I heard the twang of the string. The arrow hit perfect, in the crease behind the shoulder and into the far side leg. The buck bolted with the pink stick flinging erratically and blood instantly and visibly spraying out of his chest. I lost it going into fist pumping and telling her, "You just smoked him!" His back end was sliding from side to side as he ran and I could see him coming to a stop just as he went out of site. Then I saw the bush make a wave to the side of where I last saw him and I knew he was down. I looked sown to see a giant smile on Holly's face. What an awesome moment. She was pumped all night. We returned home for the deer cart and the kids who went along to help get the deer back home.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Holly's first day deer hunting

Post  shedder on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:31 pm

Awesome job and beautiful story You two!!!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:20 pm

Way to get her involved Vic !! And Holly, I bet your a happy lady now !!! Next time I'm in town I will have to stop by , just to hear the story !!!! Congrats again !!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:33 am

that's awesome! Congrats to both of you.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  OH Arrow Flinger on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:48 am

Good deal!!!!!! Congrats to both of you! cheers cheers
OH Arrow Flinger
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

http://www.tidecoys.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Godfather on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:00 am

Congrats to Holly!!! Great job on arrowing your first buck!!
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:22 am

Awesome, awesome awesome!  That is great stuff right there, that's what it is all about.  Huge congrats to her, what a great buck to start off.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mex. Bowhunter on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:38 am

Great story and congrats on a awesome first buck
Mex. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:54 am

Great story  Vic, and again  Congratulations to  your lovely bride

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:50 pm

That's an awesome first day deer hunting, congrats to both of you!
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Maniac Outdoors on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:08 pm

Congrats to you better half on a sweet looking buck cheers
Maniac Outdoors
Admin
Admin

http://usahuntingpros.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down