What a Blessed Day!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What a Blessed Day!

Post  OH Arrow Flinger on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:13 pm

To say we were blessed on opening day of Indiana’s firearm season is an understatement. Although it was going to be windy and warm I had my dad and many friends that were going to hit the timber in hopes of putting some antlers on the wall and filling the freezers. In all there were 7 deer being butchered up in my buddy’s barn Saturday night but to not write a novel I will focus this on just a couple of lucky hunters. (if you do not want to hear my rambling and all you want to see are pics scroll down Laughing)

The morning started off pretty quiet and after 30min of shooting light only heard one shot to the north. I was getting my phone from my pack to send a text to my dad to tell him good luck. He had surgery on his shoulder which kept him from pulling his bow back this season. He tried to make it out twice and both times he had a doe in range but could not get the bow back. Right when I pulled out my phone I heard a shot in the direction of my dad which is about 5 miles away. While typing out good luck I had a text come in from him. “Buck Down” He has been an avid hunter for his entire life but for whatever reason he has not been fortunate enough to kill a big buck. Up to this day I would say maybe a 100” deer would be his best to date. (we will get back to this)

I was watching a doe here and a doe there for most of the morning. As I am getting ready to take one I received a buck in the field pic followed by “I am going to need some help” I was floored as I had no idea what he had shot to this point and as much as I wanted to just get down and go help then, Dad told me to stay in tree as he was headed back up to try for a doe. One of the does I was watching headed closer and at 70 yards I let the bullet roar and dropped in 15 yards. 30 minutes later I had an awesome buck show up but he was about 250 out and on a neighboring property. No matter what I through his way he just hung out across the creek and would not make it my way.

10:15 rolled around and finally I said heck with it I want to get over to help the old man. As I am driving up the gravel road I am pulling up on him and boy oh boy he had this shit eating grin on his face. To that point all I had was an ok pic of what I thought to be a 140in buck. As we began driving through the field to his deer I could just see rack over the harvested corn stocks. Getting out of the truck I knew that dad had no clue what he just shot. He said it came in at 20 yards he pulled up and shot him and he dropped after about a 30 yard run piling into the field. Neither of us could stop from smiling and it was such a joy hearing the story. A celebration beer and just gazing at his beautiful behemoth of a buck was just the ticket.

We have a good friend Mark that just had a massive heart attack and had a pacemaker put in back in October. He did not know if he were going to be able to make it out at all. He ended up coming out and was in a small patch across the road from where my dad was hunting. He decided he was not going to leave his blind until he had a deer on the ground so we went back to where I hunt to get my doe out. As we pulled her out and went to hang them both. We got a text from Mark. 11:45 buck down. We hopped back into the truck and headed his way. Not the biggest buck out there but for this guy to even make it out with all he had been going through was just awesome. We were very blessed that day and to be able to spend it with my father and great friends was amazing. The good lord was shining down on us! 

Ok ok FINALLY the pics!

OH Arrow Flinger
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

http://www.tidecoys.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What a Blessed Day!

Post  soil on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:10 pm

I'll admit it!  I skipped the story to look at the pics.  What a stud of a buck!!!  Ok, now I'll go back and read the story. Very Happy
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:14 pm

Great read.  It's nice to see a hunter who has logged countless hours in the timber be rewarded with his "deer of a lifetime".
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Congratulations to all you guy's Adam,  great reading ,  That buck of your dad's if a  freaking  monster, affraid 
 Big congrat's to your  friend   Mark, also, that is just awesome that he is able to  be back out hunting  so soon after that  massive heart attack,Bravo 
  I love that photo of him and your dad,  you know  I hunt with  some good michigan buddies and they are going to love  that  photo) lol    I have seen that expression on  Mark's face many many times by those michigan boy's:lol!:

Last edited by bowGal on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bow_dad on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:53 pm

Congrats to your dad on the buck of a lifetime and to all of you on a great hunt.  Great reading right there!
bow_dad
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:56 pm

That's an incredible buck....I'd say a once in a lifetime buck for most of us!  Congrats to your dad!  Just cheered me up...another long day in the tree and nothing!  A story with a happy ending is good to hear...
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:02 pm

I would suggest to anyone who skipped the story to make sure you read it!!
Awesome read! 
Some wonderful pics and oh boy your Dad's buck is truly a once in a lifetime!!
I love the pic with your Dad and your friend!!  That's one that'll be a lifelong deer camp photo!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:18 pm

Congrats to all of you Adam. I bet your dad is glad he didn't have the bow when that hog showed and then not be able to get it back. Heck, I'm sure there would be a few healthy hunters struggle with getting their bow back on that thing.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Great read and heck of a buck! Congrats to you all.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:07 pm

Congrats!
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Maniac Outdoors on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Awesome read there Adam, one hell of a day you 3 had. Did you rough score your dad's buck yet ?
Maniac Outdoors
Admin
Admin

http://usahuntingpros.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OH Arrow Flinger on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks everyone! My dad is still on cloud 9. Harry he had never scored a deer before but looked up how to do it online and I ran him through it a bit. He roughed scored him at 164 and change (gross of course). His G2s were 12" and 11 3/4 and he had 6 inch bases. He is going to have the taxi score him as well. No matter what the buck scores it is truly a buck of a lifetime for a very deserving hunter. I am so pumped for him cheers
OH Arrow Flinger
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

http://www.tidecoys.com

Back to top Go down

Post  impactarcher on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:04 pm

Fantastic buck your dad killed!  That third pic down is funny as heck!  Congrats to you guys!

impactarcher
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  BuckRubIL on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:26 pm

Great read and pictures Adam, memories that will last a lifetime! cheers
BuckRubIL
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  BBinPA on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:04 pm

that's a hogg! Congrats to your dad.
BBinPA
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  wihunter24 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:20 pm

Now that's what I call an awesome day!  Congrats to you guys!cheers
wihunter24
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Godfather on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Congrats to everyone, but especially your Dad with that slammer!!! What a beauty of a whitetail!!!
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:04 am

Huge congrats to your dad on a giant, and good on your friend Mark for getting out there. Awesome story and pics, that's what its all about!

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:12 pm

That is what it is all about man. Good times, good company, and good hunting. Congrats to all of you guys on your harvest. Great story and pics. Give old dad a pat on the back from me, that is a monster for sure.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoosiernavy on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:48 am

Congrats to you and your Dad Adam, great hunt and good memories made. Hope you are able to connect on a hoosier bruiser.
Hoosiernavy
Pope & Young
Pope & Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum