2013 buck OO"11"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2013 buck OO"11"

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:12 pm

Well this is a buck I know pretty well I had several names for him, double brow 11, 0011. He first came on my radar at 3 1/2 in 2011. I use to have a ton of pics of him that year but they are MIA right now. That year he was nice 11 with a split brow on the left. I had him at 20 yards one evening and gave him the pass, soon after he disappeared.

The next year 2012 he was one of the first buck I got on camera, but he had become extremely camera shy and his pics almost made him seem nervous in front of the cam. All his pics were blurry and hard to tell much, but he was on the hit list for sure. I managed to get a really nice photo of him in daylight during the rut. I dont know if I misplaced it or if it got deleted changing cards around.

This year I couldnt find any of my older bucks anywhere. I have ran 2 cameras since May and even pushed the limits and put them where I said I never would, looking for a few deer. Now for today. I woke up once again like last year with a raw throat, wondering if I should even go out. I was starring at a thermometer reading 10 with a 11 mph straight north wind.  Tired, depressed, aggravated, and just plain worn out, I went anyway. I got to the farm way earlier than I should have and I was in the stand by 5:15am and I payed for it. Finally at 6:45 it started cracking daylight. I found myself with burning fingers, may hands in my pockets, face mask and hood on. I had buried my face in my coat and was exhaling inside my jacket to help warm up. All of a sudden an owl (just like last year) let out a loud AHHHHOOOWWWW. It scared the crap out of me because he was close. I dont know why but these owl are like big buck tattletales. I just happened to look up in the direction it came and saw a huge white rack against the black cedar back ground. He then followed a doe out into the cut over and I could see him well against the frozen ground. I looked him over really well to make sure my eyes werent playing last day tricks on me. Then I placed the crosshairs on his lungs and squeezed the trigger. At the shot a flame shot out of the barrel and then smoke hung in the air blocking my view. I am sure it was mostly steam from my big exhale in to the frigid air. I heard what sounded like a cough, then a deer collapse, then take one last deep breath. Then deer were scampering everywhere. One pesky doe stood on the ridge top and blew 100 times. I then waited and hour and my mind started working against me. I got down to track and found pin sized frozen blood specks. Fearing the worst I just backed out and called for help. At about 10 am we set back out to track and the deer had not went 50 yards and died right where I first though. I feel so so very fortunate to have taken this buck. I was seriously doubting it was going to happen this year and was ready to eat a tag. I said a lot of hunters prayers here lately. A wise old man told me when I was young " When God decides it is your time to take a buck there is nothing that you can do to mess it up. when it not your time, there is nothing you can do to make it happen" Im starting to believe that some. So here is 00-11 which is now a 13 this was the first year he had the double splits. I have not put the tape on him but my processor who is also a taxidermist friend of mine put the tape on him just cause he was curious and came up with 168. He is not real wide but has a ton of mass. He was also beat up, gouged, and busted up a bit. So the other buck may still be around also.cheers  

Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Re: 2013 buck OO"11"

Post  buckeyehunter on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:47 pm

Great story and congrats again on an awesome buck especially a last day buck at that!!! Its definitely been a tough year but in a blink of an eye that all can change.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:30 pm

Boss, That is one heck of a deer bud. Congrats to you. I think that wise old man knew what he was talking about. You gotta remember to give thanks to the good Lord when he blesses you with a stud like that.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:40 am

Another interesting thing I forgot to add was at some point in the years past he survived being gut shot. Had major scar tissue and one of his intestines had came out through the whole had was growing between his hide and skin. On the inside, part of his intestine was as big as round as a pop can.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  OH Arrow Flinger on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:47 am

that was a great read and a flat out awesome buck!!!!! Congrats man!!!! cheers
OH Arrow Flinger
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

http://www.tidecoys.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:51 am

Beautiful buck!! Congrats.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  impactarcher on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:43 am

Boss, awesome buck.  I'm happy for you!  Love the look of that him, he's got a lot of character.   Be sure to post a pic when he's mounted.

impactarcher
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:31 pm

Congrats again Boss!!  He is such a pretty deer to look at!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Hubbie said to tell you congrat's as well,  He love's  the looks of that buck,    Beautiful  buck and glad it all worked out for you!

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  DMW97 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:05 pm

Congrats on that giant!!
DMW97
Pope & Young
Pope & Young

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Post  bow_dad on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:59 pm

Great write up and pictures.  Congrats on hanging in there and taking a stud of a buck!
bow_dad
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:28 pm

Great story and absolutely beautiful deer! Congrats on a giant, awesome that you have so much history with him.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  BuckRubIL on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:16 am

Congrats Boss, glad it finally happened for ya... you've been hunting hard and you deserve that one for sure! cheers
BuckRubIL
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Godfather on Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:38 pm

Congrats Boss!!! He is a dandy!!!
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  wihunter24 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:50 pm

Great write up and pics!  I love the look of that buck- congrats!cheers
wihunter24
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:27 pm

Congrats on a dandy buck!  That's one heavy joker. He is going to look great on the wall.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexHastings on Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:59 am

Congrats boss, love those brows and the way he carries his mass all the way to the tips of his beams, what an awesome buck and great story with him.
AlexHastings
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum