The GF got one!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The GF got one!

Post  MEhunter on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:07 am

Well this has been without a doubt the toughest deer season I have had in years, just flat out not seeing the amount of deer I normally do. Figured I would have made this post a couple weeks ago about her getting her first deer, but it does make it that much sweeter when you have to wait a little longer I guess! Other than one other night she a had a nice buck dogging does in front of her without giving her a shot, I haven't been able to put even a small buck in front of her this year. I was getting VERY disapointed and frustrated with myself, but a great weight was lifted off my shoulders last Thursday night. I have 10 stands out that are fairly easy to get into, but she has her "favorite" one, an easy in easy out ladder stand about 20 yards off the back edge of a field. Also the stand she had the chasing and grunting going on at (something I have never seen or heard and I've been in the deer woods for 17 years now, wow I'm getting old). About 4 days after the chase occured she decided to sleep in and sure enough a nice 9 pt walked by the stand at 6:45 in the morning. When we went and looked at the pics a few days later she started to cry when she saw the pic. The next week she was up home one day and again we had another small 8 pt cruise by just after legal shooting time. I was pretty confident this was the stand for her to get the job done at if it was going to happen. Fast forward to last Wednesday I hung two more stands on my family property where we had been seeing a lot of doe activity. Figured the bucks would be getting close so I hung her an AM stand and a PM stand about 200 yards apart. She sat one of the new stands Wednesday night and I sat the ladder stand behind the field she had been sitting in. Nothing for her and I could hear deer moving off in the distance at last light. I was praying they stayed off in the distance and didn't come in before I was able to sneak out. Which in fact I was able to without spooking them. The next morning we went to a completely different area about a half hour away that I wanted to get in to sit and do a camera check. The place is full of does so I was hoping a buck had moved in, but no such luck. I've had cameras out in this spot for almost 2 months now and only have two spikes for bucks, plenty of does, but just 0 buck activity this year. Mid morning we covered some ground walking and rattling as we went along working the edge of a spruce thicket and hardwoods. Plenty of tracks and scrapes, but no luck. We did have one doe cross right at the truck as we were coming out. By now it was 2 so we headed back for where we were the previous night. I decided to have her drop me off and I was going to still hunt along the edge of an area that has been cut off multiple times over the last 10 years and she headed back for her ladder stand. After hunting my way along for about an hour I finally jumped one doe. I watched her bound off hoping for a buck to get up with her, no such luck, but just as I put my gun down I feel my phone vibrating. I look down and it says Victoria is calling. I thought to myself well I didn't hear her shoot, I hope nothing bad has happened. So I answer and I'm greated by a hysterical voice on the other end. I litterly couldn't understand  a word she was saying, I told her to calm down and say it again and finally I make out a very excited while crying "I GOT HIM, I GOT MY BUCK!!!" I still have no idea how I didn't hear the shot, I must have just been so locked on that doe, but man was she shook up. I asked her if he was down or ran off and she said "NO NO he dropped right there, I see his white belly right there." Her next words were you need to get here now, and I said well babe you have the truck remember ha. So then she said ok, but asked if she could go see him first. I started heading back to the road where she could pick me up and in no time I can hear a pickup coming bouncing down the dirt road like they are out running the cops. Sure enough around he corner she comes and as soon as she gets close to me she slams the truck in park before it even comes to a stop, not the best sound out of my truck, but who cares Laughing . I asked her how big he was and if we had seen him before and she said nope never seen him on camera and he has kind of a funky rack. We got over to the stand and sure enough that white belly was glowing white out across one of her shoooting lanes (very thick close shot stand type of stand). Made my way over to it to find a very nice 7 pointer. One side had a perfect 4 points (other than a busted brow) and the other side kind of went straight out and crab clawed. I couldn't get over the amount of blood that came out of his mouth and was all over his face and in his ear. I asked her if she shot him in the head, but she had just exploded his lungs. I am more than impressed with what that 243 did to his lungs and shoulder. I cleaned him up a little bit and snapped some photos of her with him. Neither one of us could have been happier. I headed north the next morning around 4 am. No luck for me up there, did have a buddy miss a good one tracking yesterday and another buddy waited to long and missed out on an oppurtunity on another big one that was dogging a doe. Nothing for me, I'm getting beyond frustrated, but looking at these photos again will ease my pain some Very Happy .
As he lay when we got up to him (after a little blood cleanup)...

The happy hunter...sorry for the bloody tongue, I didn't want to clean him up too much, I'm all for authenticity

And her proudest moment was when she got to bring him to the barn. As we were pulling in she looked at me with a big smile and said "Ahhhh this is my moment I have been waiting for." She was proud to have all the guys crowded around looking at her buck.
Her first "swinger" at the barn

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Re: The GF got one!

Post  Boss Gobbler on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:43 am

Awesome story! And congrats to your GF. That's what its all about, there's nothing like seeing the excitement after someone takes thier first buck. As for you ,hang in there. It only take 5 mins. To be the best day of your hunting life. I don't know how things are progressing up there but here I think the rut is just getting going. It was like a switch was flipped, and its at least 2-3 weeks later than normal.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Just awesome!  A big congrats to your hunting partner!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:54 pm

That is so  awesome Dave, Congrat's to  Victoria
lol!  I told you  , YOu better marry  that  Girl, She out  fished you earlier this year and now she is out hunting you☀ ( had to rub that in;) )
 Again  Big congrat's to your  lady,  !!

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bow_dad on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:47 pm

That's awesome!, glad you didn't lose a transmission but I think it would have still been worth it!
bow_dad
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Awesome story and great looking buck!  Congrats to you guys

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  OH Arrow Flinger on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Fricking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
OH Arrow Flinger
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

http://www.tidecoys.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BuckRubIL on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:27 am

Awesome story Dave, saw the pics on FB but the story tops the pics! cheers

I had one of those frantic phone calls when Ash took her first deer by herself a year or two ago... I couldn't understand anything she said.  Once you figure out nothing is wrong, it just makes you smile ear to ear. Smile  Congrats again! cheers
BuckRubIL
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Godfather on Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:37 pm

Awesome story and great pics!!! Congrats to the both of you!!
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Great story Dave. Congrats to your girlfriend.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  wihunter24 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:42 pm

Congrats to your girlfriend- that smile says it all!
wihunter24
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum