Okie late bow Buck

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Okie late bow Buck

Post  Willy on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:21 pm

Kansas Rifle opened last week on the 4th. The guys all got in the day before. I got everyone situated and ready to go. The house was kinda crowded with a couple guys not usually there staying with us so I decided to shoot over and down to a friends place on the Oklahoma side of the Cimarron about an hour from us. Oklahoma Rifle was in its final few days and the friend that has this place had said they were all tagged out and that no one was there. He was actually happy to have me come hunt, trespassers are so much less likely when they know someone is on the place. I left out the afternoon of the 4th with plans to be back at the house with the guys the last couple days of their trip.
Didn't hunt the first morning, I sat out with my binos just trying to catch any early morning movement to pin point a place to start. I saw a few does and small bucks working along the bluffs just above the river. They weren't moving down into the river bottom like they normally do, they seemed to be bedding in the cuts and plum thickets on the hillsides that are just above the flat thick tamarack areas in the sandy river bottom. This was probably because that is where everyone hunts during the rifle.  I found the only tree I could find in the area that I could get a stand in, it was in the area I saw the deer that morning. Hung it and put out a couple trail cameras on a trail that had the most fresh sign and climbed up for the afternoon sit.  I had a great hunt that afternoon. Way better than I had hoped for. Honestly had little or no hope of shooting anything more than a couple does. That first afternoon I didn't see a doe until it was to dark to shoot. I did see 4 or 5 bucks. I had a really nice looking 8 point come right in on me. He came down the trail shortly behind a pair of younger bucks. I thought hard about shooting the 8. I haven't tagged in my home state in a couple years and this was a respectable deer for the area. I had the bow in my hand when he cleared the plums , as he came closer I could tell he was just a 3 maybe 4 year old so I put the bow down and grabbed my camera instead. He posed for a few minutes, directly in front of the Camera I had set up earlier. That was cool to watch. As he approached the tree he was going to cross directly in front of the camera, he got just about to where the camera should trigger and he locked up, looking directly at the camera. He backed up cautiously and circled the tree coming in from the other side, he finally relaxed but there was a definite alarm bell that went off with him even though he could see the other two small bucks had just walked past it down the same trail. 

after those three moved on towards the wheat fields that are about 3/4ths of a mile away it got quiet until just before last light. I then had two more bucks move past, one a nice buck that had broken off half his rack right at the brow. The moved past on the opposite side of my away from the trail the deer had used earlier but where headed in the same direction towards the wheat. 

As I was packing up to get down I had a group of does move past down the trail the early bucks had used, it was just a little to dark to try and get a shot with the bow or with my camera. I was watching them through my binos when I noticed they were real nervous and looking back over their shoulder. That's when I saw the shape of a much larger bodied deer, I could make out his basic frame and could tell he was mature , from what I could tell he was a nice big 8.  They moved off pretty fast, the buck was pushing the does. My hopes went from a freezer full of doe meat back to , time to get serious mode just that fast. 

Stayed out the next morning, just wasn't sure about the where abouts of that buck and didn't want to blow him out if he was staying close. I went in early that afternoon.  I was slow. Unlike the first day the next two afternoons I didn't see a single deer from 1 thru 4.45. I was loosing light that third afternoon when I caught movement to my right, does and they were in a fast trot. The last one in the group stopped at 30 yards raised her tail about half way up and squatted, looking over her shoulder at the same time. I heard the grunt before I saw him. She bolted off directly past me and he came in at a slow steady walk. I bleated him to a stop at 15 yards and sent an axis thru him. he bolted and ran about 50 yards and nose dived into a plum thicket. No tracking job or sleepless night with this guy.
When I got back to the house and had a chance I was looking through the cards that were on the cameras and I found a pic of the buck the first evening I saw him, the big round tree to his left is where I was sitting, I am on the back side of the tree the deer was over my right shoulder in the picture you can see he was on a trail that took him farther from my tree as he moved past. The last picture of him you can see he is on an angle that brought him to within 15 yards.

He ended up being a 9 and not the 8 I thought he was. Actually had a scoreable kicker off the backside of one of his beams. He was a beast of a deer, and best I could tell was 5 or 6 years old. Talking to the guys who hunt here regulary, they have zero pictures and zero sightings of him.

Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Okie late bow Buck

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:36 pm

Dang Willy, You are a deer kill'n machine. Congrats on an awesome buck. Now you need to go get our team a doe.  Wink

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:59 pm

When do I get to come and hunt?? Very Happy  Congrats!
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Post  Bakerman on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:21 pm

Nice work Willy!

Bakerman
12 Point
12 Point

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:06 pm

You Da Man Willy! Congrats on another awesome buck. cheers
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:42 pm

congratulations Willy!  pretty pictures too
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:11 pm

Very Nice , Willy, love  that bladed  G2 
 Congrat's but good grieve is there anywhere you go that you don't kill a  nice buck??
 That is pretty wild your buddies had never seen him before

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:52 pm

Congrats on that big old bruiser!  You know when they get those big neck rolls that they are real mature deer.  Beauty

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:36 am

Beautiful buck! Congrats

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  OH Arrow Flinger on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:47 am

Way to go Willie!!!! He is a beaut!
OH Arrow Flinger
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

http://www.tidecoys.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:07 am

Awesome buck Willy !!! Nice story to go with it also !!! Congrats , as usual !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  impactarcher on Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:05 pm

Great buck!  Really like that dark forehead.   Congrats

impactarcher
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bow_dad on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:34 pm

Congrats on another great buck!
bow_dad
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  BuckRubIL on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:21 pm

Awesome buck Willy, you da man! cheers  Now it's time for a 3 peat in Iowa...
BuckRubIL
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Godfather on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:25 pm

Congrats on yet another great buck Willy!!
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  nyhunter20 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:20 pm

Congrats Willy on another great buck
nyhunter20
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:11 am

What a beauty!!
...and after that 8 I was saying I would have shot that one!  You sure know what you're doing!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum