Yesterdays bird

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Yesterdays bird

Post  AlexHastings on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:50 pm

Well I knew this years hunt was going to be alot of work as I couldnt hunt my normal spot that I normally do so I had to settle for public river bottom land. I scouted the birds last sunday and thought I had them pretty well figured out but i was way wrong. Opening day set was a bust with nothing but 2 hens close to us and no gobbling, we ended up 2 miles from the truck before we finally found birds while glassing from the top of the river levee. Only problem was they were in the private fields that border the levee and no way to hunt them plus they were with hens and would not break away from them. I was able to see this spot from the road so I watched the birds saturday after noon go to roost and having hunted this piece of public before I knew traditionally the birds fly off roost first thing in the morning and like to strut in the sand on top of the levee. We we got to the spot extra early and got set up and heard the 1st gobble at 5:20, was actually napping and it woke us up because he was alot closer than I expected. As it started breaking day we heard a second bird and I also was able to spot the close bird in the tree, they flew down on the top of the levee about a 100 yards from us and started strutting and then here came the hens. They would not answer any of my calls at all, then I look to the left of them and spot a 3rd bird strutting his way towards them. They all bunched up and the hens started to take them away so I told my buddy to hang tight and i was going to use the levee to my advantage and try and put a stalk on them, well I got to where the birds were and slowly crawled up the side and looked and the hens had went to the private and took 2 of the toms with them, then I look towards where my decoys and buddy are at and see the 3rd bird has started to work his way towards my set up. I slip back down the levee thinking how did I get past this bird without him seeing me! Im hurrying back trying to get to my decoys when I look up and spot his tail fan on the top of the levee strutting away from me, I drop to a my knees and start crawling and end up at a tree and was trying to figure out how to get around it quitely. Then i look up and the bird came out of strut and was on alert, i thought he had me but i think he got nervous of our set up becuase of the lack of cover we had, he starts walking the top of the levee towards me! He gets almost straight up for me and then starts taking a few steps down towards me and i let him have it! It was a ton of work to get a bird on this public land and to have a successful stalk made it even better, i was just lucky that he decided to come down on the public side and didnt head for the private ground. He was a very pretty looking bird, 20lbs, 7/8ths spurs and a 10 1/4 inch nice and thick beard. It was a very fun but frustrating hunt with my opening day plans not even close to what i expected but it all came together in the end.

AlexHastings
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Re: Yesterdays bird

Post  bowGal on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:56 pm

Bravo  bud!

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bow_dad on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Congrats on the bird Alex, those public land animals always seem a little more satisfying in my book.
bow_dad
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:44 pm

nice job Alex!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:43 pm

Nice bird Alex. Way to get it done.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Young on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:16 am

Atah boy Alex!  Way to make it happen!
Young
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  OH Arrow Flinger on Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:42 am

Way to go Alex!!!!
OH Arrow Flinger
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

http://www.tidecoys.com

Back to top Go down

Post  impactarcher on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:49 pm

Nice bird  cheers

impactarcher
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Godfather on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:36 am

Great bird Alex!! It looks like you shot him at the beach!
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum