Iowa Hunt video

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Iowa Hunt video

Post  Willy on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:25 pm

Had a great time in Iowa. Was able to get it done before the crazy weather moved in.  Saw a ton of birds.  Dave ended up busting one with the shotgun the last day we were there. He lost pateints with the bow. Actually I think it was just hearing so many different gobblers sounding off in the timber drove him crazy, he had to get in there with them instead of trying to draw them out to the blind.

You guys cut me some slack on the quality of the video. Like I said, I was solo.  This was one of several birds I had working, They were cutting my calls off with double gobbles. It was a great morning.

this is a slow motion clip of the shot, try to stop it at the 7 second mark, you will see the exact point of impact.
This is a brand new rage 2 blade. Not my usual broad head for turkeys, but hey, they are twice the cost and someone left a full set on the table at the house in Kansas so I grabbed a couple.  You tell me, was the hit a bad one ?  5 yards, 70# bow, 29 inch 460 grain shaft broad head combo, less than 3 inch penetration.  I had to blood trail the bird. It took me a couple hours to find him. Best I could tell the head didn't open, the hole in the bird when I cleaned him was about 3/4 of an inch. 

what I followed for several hundred yards

found this while trailing the turkey
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Iowa Hunt video

Post  Boss Gobbler on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:51 pm

Shot looks good to me man. Just one of those things that will eventually happen when chasing turkeys. Maybe you where just meant to find that massive skull to give it a good home.  Laughing
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Godfather on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:32 am

The shot looked good to me as well. At least you were able to find the bird! Congrats Willy! You are my hero!  Bow
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:02 pm

Not knowing the woods that well on this farm I just had to start searching in the general area and direction. I went into the woods the direction the bird ran about 100 yards and found a bit of blood going in a steady direction,  I ran into an old hogwire fence, I knew the bird couldn't fly so I figured he had to either go up or down the fenceline.  Down led down into a deep ravine.  That is where I found him. He was up under the trunk of a tree that had fallen last year, there was a space of about 10 inches between the trunk and the ground. I saw his tail feathers just by chance. I had lost all blood about 50 yards from where I found the bird.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:28 pm

No doubt the shot looks spot on. Not the first time I've heard of that problem with the Rage heads. I'm sure they're great most of the time but I want a head that's better than most of the time. 

Willy was the bird dead when you found him?

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:32 pm

Mountainman Vic wrote:No doubt the shot looks spot on. Not the first time I've heard of that problem with the Rage heads. I'm sure they're great most of the time but I want a head that's better than most of the time. 

Willy was the bird dead when you found him?

yes. Looked like he crawled under that tree to hide and expired where he laid down.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bow_dad on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:13 pm

I thought it was a pretty darn good video for going solo.  Heck I can't get under control to run the camera when they start coming in for the kids.  Nice job sticking with it till you found him.
bow_dad
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:51 pm

Willy were they the rages that have the hard plastic retainer collar?  I shot at that turkey in Kansas and missed low. I was surprised to find that neither blade deployed though the arrow buried deep in the leaves and the ground and I was shooting those type rages.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:04 pm

soil wrote:Willy were they the rages that have the hard plastic retainer collar?  I shot at that turkey in Kansas and missed low. I was surprised to find that neither blade deployed though the arrow buried deep in the leaves and the ground and I was shooting those type rages.

They didn't have a rubber band or O ring on them. Not sure about the hard plastic collar. But now that you say that they did have a black ring around the bottom
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Fri May 09, 2014 6:14 am

Congrats Willy!!
Now you know why they were left on the table...
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  buckeyehunter on Fri May 09, 2014 4:13 pm

Willy wrote:
soil wrote:Willy were they the rages that have the hard plastic retainer collar?  I shot at that turkey in Kansas and missed low. I was surprised to find that neither blade deployed though the arrow buried deep in the leaves and the ground and I was shooting those type rages.

They didn't have a rubber band or O ring on them. Not sure about the hard plastic collar. But now that you say that they did have a black ring around the bottom

On those style the black locking collar at the bottom has arrows that point towards the blade and if its not in line with the blades they open extremely hard. Not sure if that was the case with your experience but I bought the hypodermics and they had that collar too.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum