My First Bird with a Bow!!

Go down

My First Bird with a Bow!!

Post  Godfather on Sat May 03, 2014 2:02 pm

I hadn't really been too excited for this years turkey season as I didn't really have very much time to get any scouting in. Fortunately I was able to get out on Thursday and Friday morning to try and find some birds to set up on for PA's opener today. Thursday morning was a bust with no gobbles heard or birds seen. Friday was nearly the same but I stumbled into a big tom following a hen around just as I was leaving. So I decided to set up where I had seen this bird with hopes he would repeat his performance two days in a row. 

So Blake and I headed out this morning with high hopes. This all soon changed as I did not have a good morning getting set up. We had quite a hike in to where we were going to hunt and I just had too many things to try and carry(bow, blind, chair, gear bag, snacks, and a bb gun for back up), and a six year old can only carry so much stuff to help out. After what seemed like hours we finally arrived at our location with plenty of time to get set up. Little did I know that my blind decided to turn into some type of monster and it took me nearly a half hour to get it set up. I was finally able to get it sorted out and we did get set up, but it was well after legal shooting light.

Now onto the good parts! The whole time while I was fighting with my blind a bunch of birds started sounding off on the roost from just about all directions. I had just got set up in the blind and I made my first call and was immediately answered by a bunch of gobbles, but they were now on the ground. I had a full strut gobbler and a hen decoy set up about 10 yards in front of the blind. The birds continued to gobble quite a bit but they seemed to not get any closer. Finally after some more calling one popped out in the field about 200 yards away. It was just a jake but he was putting on a show strutting and gobbling all over the place. Then I noticed that there were definitely more birds gobbling than just him. He was soon joined by four other jakes but they stayed right where they were at for at least 15 minutes. I was trying not to call too much but they just wouldn't budge. So I decided to make a gobble with just my mouth. As soon as I gobbled a few times they all turned and sprinted towards me!

Meanwhile this whole time Blake had decided that he was too tired from getting up early and the long walk in and he fell asleep. As the birds got to about 50 yards and were locked into my decoys I nudged him one last time to try and get him to watch but he wouldn't budge. Since I hadn't ever taken a bird with my bow I wasn't going to be very picky. When the birds reached my decoys I came to full draw. The first one didn't have a beard so I waited for the second one. He stepped out and I touched off the release......... only to shoot right under the bird at only 8 steps! I couldn't believe it! Luckily the birds were still interested in my decoys so I had time to get another arrow nocked and came to full draw again. But this time they got a little nervous and started to move back out. Finally one stopped and I was able to put an arrow in him at 30 yards. He started flopping around and when he did I made a little whoop in the blind! This finally got Blake back out of his slumber and we watched as the other three jakes beat up my poor bird for about 5 minutes. We finally scared off the birds and got out to collect my bird! Now I had Blake all amped up and we had a great time replaying the events of the morning! 

Needless to say the events of the morning will be a great memory burned into my mind for a long, long time! I have been trying to get a bird with my bow for quite a while now so I am very proud of this turkey! Plus to have my son there with me in the blind(even though he was taking a nap) made the hunt even that much more special! 

Here are a couple pics!

Here is Blake right after we retrieved out prize! Do you think he was excited?!!

And the two of us with our here shot!
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: My First Bird with a Bow!!

Post  Willy on Sat May 03, 2014 3:09 pm

Great Story and Great Pictures!  Way to go guys. The Smiles say it all.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Sat May 03, 2014 3:46 pm

That is  awesome  John, Big congrat's to  you on your first bow kill turkey,  Sound's like those bird's put on one  heck of show for you,  
 Great  pic's bud, and yes  Blake look's very very  happy, Wink

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sat May 03, 2014 4:11 pm

Congrats John!  cheers  Do you have the second tag or are you done for the season?

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Sat May 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Nice work, I'm loving that huge smile!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Godfather on Sun May 04, 2014 8:30 am

Mountainman Vic wrote:Congrats John!  cheers  Do you have the second tag or are you done for the season?

Vic, I did not get the second tag so my season has ended. I'm going to see if I can get my Dad or brother to go out a few mornings and try and call them one in.
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  buckeyehunter on Sun May 04, 2014 10:33 am

Congrats John, sounds like you guys will remember this hunt for a while!

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Sun May 04, 2014 1:04 pm

I would say that was a great hunt !! Congrats !!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Sun May 04, 2014 2:37 pm

Congrats on your first bow bird!  That's awesome your son was there to witness it.
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Maniac Outdoors on Sun May 04, 2014 2:48 pm

That was awesome getting that text from you yesterday morning, Way to go and a HUGE Congrats to you on your first bow bird down  cheers
Maniac Outdoors
Admin
Admin

http://usahuntingpros.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bow_dad on Sun May 04, 2014 10:26 pm

Love it, love it, love it!!!  Way to go guys cheers    I had to smile reading about everything you have to carry when hunting with the kiddos, something I can relate to.
bow_dad
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Thu May 08, 2014 6:19 am

Great story and pics, congrats John!

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down