The end of my season

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The end of my season

Post  Mountainman Vic on Tue May 13, 2014 12:51 pm

Yesterday afternoon was busy. Shedder contacted me to let me know he had an opening on his Kentucky lease and after talking it over with my wife, I decided to go for it. So when I got that squared away I helped out with making dinner. After that I decided to head out and see if I could roost a few birds. It was a lot later than I normally head out. By the time I got to the food plot it was after 7. It wasn't long before I could see a flock of birds and a strutter with them. I hurried into position to try and keep a better eye on them. By the time I got where I wanted to be I looked to see the strutter leaving the plot. It was early for them to be leaving but I knew that where they were headed was all thick laurel except for a small gut that had open hardwoods in it. I figured for sure that is where they would be in the morning. So at 2:45 this morning I got up and by 3 was on the road. I left the truck at 3:30 and began the 3/4 mile hike to where I thought the birds would be. once I reached the food plot, it was lights out. I made my way across the plot and came to the edge of the woods. I slowly picked my way through the laurel staying on the deer trails that lead to the open timber. I was just about to the end of the laurel when I noticed a large blob in a tree about 10 yards from me. I looked through the binos and sure enough it was the silhouette of a turkey and unmistakably one with a beard. He had his head stretched out trying to see what he was hearing. So I slowly and as quietly as I could I made my way to large maple tree, slid down beside it and got ready. I scoped the bird and knew I could take him but it was only around 4 am, so I refused to shoot until it was legal. So began a long torturous hour and half of waiting him out. I would set quietly for a while and then my leg would get so numb it would hurt. So I readjusted. Out would come the gobblers head, neck stretched to the max trying to see what he was hearing. So I sat there, like a morning when you wake up before the alarm goes off waiting and standing there waiting to reset the alarm the instant it goes off, with the gun ready waiting on visible light enough to shoot. With all the cloud cover I knew it would be just a little longer. Finally I could see the fiber optic pins and I knew it was getting close. As I peeked around the tree to see how my feathered friend was making out in the tree, I saw that head come up again and I could tell he was able to see me and knew something was up. So the cross hairs settled and the morning songs from all the birds was deadened at the blast of the gun. And there it was, delicious turkey nuggets where flopping on the ground.  Very Happy My season is done. Now I need to get Holly on a bird. 

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: The end of my season

Post  Willy on Tue May 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Good Job Vic.  way to close out the season.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Tue May 13, 2014 3:19 pm

Way to go  Vic,  I was wandering if  Holly was turkey hunting this year, best of luck to her  also,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Tue May 13, 2014 5:08 pm

Excellent job Vic!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bow_dad on Tue May 13, 2014 5:13 pm

Congrats and good luck getting the Mrs. her bird.
bow_dad
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Tue May 13, 2014 7:52 pm

Congrats Vic!
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  BBinPA on Tue May 13, 2014 9:39 pm

Congrats Vic, Nice Bird
BBinPA
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue May 13, 2014 10:00 pm

You didn't even let him fly down ?? Hell even Harry could kill one that way  Very Happy !! Congrats on tagging out before the heat really gets here , we just might make it up for a Saturday if the weather stays decent. Now get your lady out there !!! Of course I wouldn't want to wake my wife up that early  !!!!!!!! Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue May 13, 2014 10:02 pm

Forgot to ask, how are the ticks up your way ?? Some areas down here are just brutal with them ! I went for a walk thru a plot the NWTF put out ( around 200 sq. yards ) and pulled almost 30 of them off my jeans.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed May 14, 2014 6:37 am

Pa. Bowhunter wrote:Now get your lady out there !!! Of course I wouldn't want to wake my wife up that early  !!!!!!!! Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
I did have her out once and thought it was going to happen. But you're right Rick, that waking them up at 2:30 or 3 just isn't a good thing. I'm hoping to get her out some when we can hunt the evenings. 

Ticks are here. I have a bunch of bite marks to prove it. That said they normally disappear for summer so the end of the season might not be too bad.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Godfather on Wed May 14, 2014 1:35 pm

Congrats Vic!! Way to close out the season!
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum