Gardening Question.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gardening Question.

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:49 pm

I have had a garden for several years now. This year however I decided to add some miracle grow soil, compost and manure to it, then till it in. My tomatoes are doing awesome, a little to awesome. When I planted them I put them in 4 foot cages. Right now the plants are about 5 1/2 foot tall. Shocked  Which would be great, but when it rains the plants get to heavy with the tomatoes on them and droop over. I had the top break out of one today. I have tried tying and staking them but it doesnt work. They are to full. Has anyone every had this problem or have an idea how to stop them from breaking?  Most of the tomatoes I have grown get about 3 1/2 feet tall, thought the 4 foot cages would be plenty.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Re: Gardening Question.

Post  Willy on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:07 pm

i had some wild ones a few years ago , got a little crazy with the miricle grow food .only way i was able to keep them from breaking off at the top of the cage was to lean thecages over to thier sides . a couple i just cut the cages off and let the plants lay over on the ground
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  G3 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:16 pm

Get a little target practice in and shoot some of the green maters off the vine....a 22 should work great for that  Very Happy 
G3
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:12 pm

We made cages from fencing with 4x4 squares , about 5 foot tall. They usually work great but when it gets too wet they like to lean over so we just put regular fence stakes on 2 sides.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:25 pm

Only  planted one tomato plant this year,  and  I knew before hand on how tall it  was going to get over  ( at least 5-6 ft tall, and turn into  a big ole bush (  Jasper tomato's) and  yes  I hit it with miracle grow  every  2 week's.
 So   my little  redneck mind came up with  the perfect planting area, lol!  We  also added 3 wooded  stakes  cut full link  of   the cage height  as soon as  we planted it,, for added support,   I have  now ran out of  room  on the cage to tie  up anymore limb's   up to it for support, so this is why   I planted it here,
 now  I just  use the old  deer targets for support,   lol!  lol!  I  had to post this after   Tim's post, about target shooting,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top