The dog wrecker

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The dog wrecker

Post  bowright on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:52 pm

We've been having some awesome weather in southeast Missouri for the month of July, so we headed out an hour before dark Friday night for some hog hunting. We took the dogs to where we had seen some sign, and road hunted them for about an hour. With no luck, I strapped on the headlamp and took them for about a mile and a half walk up a creek bottom. Still no luck. So on around to the next road, we dumped em out and road hunted them for about an hour, and decided to call it quits. It was 12:45 am and hadn't hit a hot track yet. We loaded the dogs, jumped in the truck and went 30 yards and a big boar darts across the road. Out of the truck and dump the box, bulldogs and all. Dogs went out to 450 yards and bayed, bulldogs caught, and my buddy got there and emptyed his box. The bay broke (which never happens once the bulldogs get ahold) and they went out another 745 yards. Both of my bulldogs came back bloody and cut up, and a couple of my catahoula's did as well. My main dog, a treeing walker, was still hot on the track, and we went around a side road to a property that had a huge pond in the middle. As we are listening to the rack, we hear a huge splash in the pond and the dogs are bayed again. We head down to the pond and my buddies bulldog was locked on and she was taking a whipping from the boar. We had to shoot the boar, and drag it out of the pond. In total, we had to stitch up 5 dogs, and a couple that are sporting sore legs and sides. Never thought I'd see a boar bad enough to whip up on 10 head of dogs at once, with 3 being bulldogs that are as experienced as they come to catchin pigs. We've been on some rank boars, but this one has been the worst by far..

bowright
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Re: The dog wrecker

Post  Mountainman Vic on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:26 am

Great post Brian. Sounds like you guys have some barbecuing to do. Did you weigh that thing?

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:27 am

Good thing you got rid of that mean sucker!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:56 pm

soil wrote:Good thing you got rid of that mean sucker!
X's 2,
 And  I so Hope your  dog's are ok, Brian
Did you  by any chance weight that mean ole tub of lard?? 
 lol!  and how  dare you post this without  mentioning    what Bri  and  Jessie  had to say when you brought  it home Wink ,
 I so hope we never have to deal with  wild hog's in our area anytime soon,  might be  a  stupid   question, but I am curious to know how does the whitetail herd react to their presence??

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:23 pm

I see BACON !!!!!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowright on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:08 pm

Mountainman Vic wrote:Great post Brian. Sounds like you guys have some barbecuing to do. Did you weigh that thing?

Wild hogs are lean muscle and big bone structure, so they don't weigh near as much as a butcher hog.  With that said, this one weighed in at 257, which is pretty dang big for a wild boar in our area.
bowright
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  bowright on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:12 pm

bowGal wrote:X's 2,
 And  I so Hope your  dog's are ok, Brian
Did you  by any chance weight that mean ole tub of lard?? 
 lol!  and how  dare you post this without  mentioning    what Bri  and  Jessie  had to say when you brought  it home Wink ,
 I so hope we never have to deal with  wild hog's in our area anytime soon,  might be  a  stupid   question, but I am curious to know how does the whitetail herd react to their presence??

Briley hit it with a stick a few times then lost interest.  Jessie looked at it then went on to chase the cat.  Those dang girls are still in the play stage to hunt, although Briley will go on her first deer hunt this year with her "Tay" and me. 

Deer actually don't seem to mind them too bad.  With the horrible winter we had this year, all the ice and snow, and crusted slush, the turkeys and deer followed the hogs around.  Where it was too hard for the turkeys to scratch through, the hogs would root up the ground, and the turkeys then would be able to have something to eat.  Same with the deer. 

Also, I've found out, anywhere there are hogs, we always jump deer.  I think they get along just fine down here.  Where we hunt them is 99.9% timber, and is that way for over a 1000 square miles, so the hogs really do not do much damage to property.  I would definitely hate to see you guys get them up there in row crop/food plot country.  We can still manage food plots just fine around here, because acorns and hickory nuts are still king for food. 

Dogs seem to be doing great.  Keeping them on antibiotics and had to stitch all of them up, but they are ready to go again today.  The heart those critters have are unreal. 
bowright
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  bowright on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:16 pm

I have no idea what I did on the quote.
bowright
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down