WOW YOU Can still HUNT IOWA THIS YEAR...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WOW YOU Can still HUNT IOWA THIS YEAR...

Post  shedder on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:16 am

LEFTOVER TAGS ON SALE THIS SATURDAY

Excess tags for the 2014 Iowa deer hunting season go on sale Saturday, July 26th at 6 a.m. CDT. 
Tags are sold on a first-come, first-serve basis and may be purchased online or by calling (800) 367-1188.
     General deer tags are good for one season of choice: Gun 1, Gun 2, Late Muzzleloader, Disabled season
     Antlerless-only tags are good for one season of choice: Gun 1, Gun 2, Disabled season
      You may use a bow during the Late Muzzleloader season
      Purchase of an excess general deer tag will zero out your preference points
      Purchase of an antlerless-only tag will not affect your preference points

**The bow in muzzleloader season I was not aware...Thats the way I would bow hunt Iowa every year!
Here is the link to check out what will be available at 6:00 am Iowa time Saturday morning!
https://jc.activeoutdoorsolutions.com/iowadnr/app/mainQuota.do
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: WOW YOU Can still HUNT IOWA THIS YEAR...

Post  MEhunter on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:39 am

Just curious, what does a NR tag and license go for in Iowa?

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:45 am

Out the door your looking at $551
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:24 pm

Bow in Muzzleloader is new. The first year they added the doe tag to the license I wanted to use my bow to fill the doe tag and I couldn't.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:30 pm

Willy wrote:Bow in Muzzleloader is new. The first year they added the doe tag to the license I wanted to use my bow to fill the doe tag and I couldn't.
Thats what I thought.  I wonder if you are going to see more company in the years to come Willy??? I couldn't afford to go there every year anyway!
It bothers me a little bit I gotta admit...that they are messing with this great state in a way that starts them on that slippery slope towards IL and KS tag allotment???
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:30 pm

None left over for the area we hunt.  I have been talking to several people that hunt regular in Iowa, along with a few outfitters I know up there and everyone was expecting there to be fewer Non Res applicants this year. The EHD and the Doe slaughter that has been going on has the deer numbers at their lowest and the older bucks at their lowest numbers in a while. A lot of guys just put in for points. I have no doubt that it will rebound in a couple years. We thought about not applying this year, but what the heck else is there to do in January ?  at least until Bo gets all those banditos under control down south of the border
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:20 pm

Is this a first for  Iowa to have left over tag's???? Or did they up the number of tag's  given out this upcoming season?
 I have not had a whole lot of time to keep up with some  Iowa hunting forums, but  I do  know a few months ago, there was a lot of  talk going on, about  how bad  EHD was in many area's from some of the local guy's through out the state, and of course   their concern's on all the doe's being shot,
 I by all mean's would hate to see Iowa Dnr starting acting like Il's

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:09 pm

I've never personally shot a doe in Iowa...I had chances but I haven't seen the numbers to warrant it.  I never have been one to feel that I needed to shoot a deer just because I had a tag and paid $128 for it.

I think Iowa would do better if they would just charge the $551 for everything and not put that $128 onto The anterless permit.  That way NR hunters wouldn't have that extra thought of I paid $128 for this stupid doe tag I going to fill it damn it!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Maniac Outdoors on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:51 pm

I would love to get my butt to Iowa, A bucket list state for sure. Been lucky to have hunted Kansas a few times and loved every second I was there. Best of Luck again to you Matt.
Maniac Outdoors
Admin
Admin

http://usahuntingpros.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Maniac Outdoors wrote:I would love to get my butt to Iowa, A bucket list state for sure. Been lucky to have hunted Kansas a few times and loved every second I was there. Best of Luck again to you Matt.
Thanks bud!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:36 am

shedder wrote:Out the door your looking at $551

Crazy, more money than a Non-Res Moose hunt here.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:46 am

MEhunter wrote:

I need to get back in the moose woods!  I've been to Vermont but never Maine.  What are the draw odds for Maine as a NR?  How does the 30 chance thing work? Obviously your odds are better but am I going to draw if I do something like that?
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:04 pm

shedder wrote:
MEhunter wrote:

I need to get back in the moose woods!  I've been to Vermont but never Maine.  What are the draw odds for Maine as a NR?  How does the 30 chance thing work? Obviously your odds are better but am I going to draw if I do something like that?

It's a tough draw. Putting in more chances always helps though. The more years you apply really helps the most though. Only 10% of the permits go to Non-residents. The below is how the bonus points/chances work...

[th]1 year = 1 bonus point[/th][th]2 years = 2 bonus points[/th][th]3 years = 3 bonus points[/th][th]4 years = 4 bonus points[/th][th]5 years = 5 bonus points[/th][th]6 years = 7 bonus points[/th][th]7 years = 9 bonus points[/th][th]8 years = 11 bonus points[/th][th]9 years = 13 bonus points[/th]
10 years = 15 bonus points
19 years = 70 bonus points
28 years = 160 bonus points
11 years = 18 bonus points
20 years = 80 bonus points
29 years = 170 bonus points
12 years = 21 bonus points
21 years = 90 bonus points
30 years = 180 bonus points
13 years = 24 bonus points
22 years = 100 bonus points
31 years = 190 bonus points
14 years = 27 bonus points
23 years = 110 bonus points
32 years = 200 bonus points
15 years = 30 bonus points
24 years = 120 bonus points
33 years = 210 bonus points
16 years = 40 bonus points
25 years = 130 bonus points
34 years = 220 bonus points
17 years = 50 bonus points
26 years = 140 bonus points
35 years = 230 bonus points
18 years = 60 bonus points
27 years = 150 bonus points
36 years = 240 bonus points

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:54 pm

Willy wrote:Bow in Muzzleloader is new. The first year they added the doe tag to the license I wanted to use my bow to fill the doe tag and I couldn't.
 I am not for certain,  but   Is  this new  bow option  added to  the   muzzleloader season - legal with the use of   Compound bow's?   or just crossbow's- I could be wrong but  I read somewhere today it  was crossbow only

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:51 pm

I'm not sure Barb.  My initial post was what IA DNR emailed me directly.  It says you can use you bow during the late muzzleloader season.  
I was talking to my buddy who outfits in South Central Iowa and he said they changed that a couple years ago.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowright on Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:32 pm

Non residents never could use their bow for muzzleloader season?  It has always stated in the regs that during ml season archery equipment was allowed.  Not during shotgun season though.  If you have a ml tag and use archery equipment, you were still required to wear orange.
bowright
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  bowright on Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:33 pm

bowGal wrote:Is this a first for  Iowa to have left over tag's???? Or did they up the number of tag's  given out this upcoming season?
 I have not had a whole lot of time to keep up with some  Iowa hunting forums, but  I do  know a few months ago, there was a lot of  talk going on, about  how bad  EHD was in many area's from some of the local guy's through out the state, and of course   their concern's on all the doe's being shot,
 I by all mean's would hate to see Iowa Dnr starting acting like Il's

There has always been any deer tags left over for the less hot spots.  They will sell out of them, but after the drawing there is always a few left over.
bowright
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  bowright on Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:35 pm

bowGal wrote:
 I am not for certain,  but   Is  this new  bow option  added to  the   muzzleloader season - legal with the use of   Compound bow's?   or just crossbow's- I could be wrong but  I read somewhere today it  was crossbow only

Crossbows are new to the regs this year.  Compounds and traditional archery have always been able to used.
bowright
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum