What kinda tree?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What kinda tree?

Post  kyhunter123 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:35 pm

I was doing some stand work today and had to go under this tree heading out and i noticed the the berry things on it. What are they? Will deer eat them? 

Here's what the tree looked like.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Re: What kinda tree?

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:48 pm

It almost looks like some kind of cherry tree. But I can't see the bark of the tree in the pic very good. If so, yes the deer and turkeys will be all over it.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:52 pm

Mountainman Vic wrote:It almost looks like some kind of cherry tree. But I can't see the bark of the tree in the pic very good. If so, yes the deer and turkeys will be all over it.
Thats what i was thinking at first. I probably seen about 10-15 more of those trees on the way out.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:55 pm

My phone didnt focus right but here is a cropped picture of the picture of the bark. idk if its clear enough or not.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:29 pm

It looks like this to me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+of+wild+cherry+trees&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS487US488&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=bkfUU4C9C4eKyAS-7IKoCw&ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=653#facrc=_&imgrc=6xqPojoKmGDH0M%253A%3BAfth56FLW4ib3M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.butterflyfunfacts.com%252Fimages%252Fcherry6.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.butterflyfunfacts.com%252Fblackcherry.php%3B650%3B450

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:32 pm

We call them wild cherry. I've got one in my yard. Not sure if that's the right name or not.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:50 pm

Yes it is a wild cherry. They are great trees. They grow extremely fast. I had one the grew to about 20' in 3 years. The easiest way to tell is take a green branch a twist it then smell the inner bark.  It will smell like cherry
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:13 am

Never did really know what they were, we have plenty of them around here, but I have never seen the deer feed on them, Growing up  we had them in our back yard, and my dad always told us kid's not to eat those berries, they were poisonous. I have no  idea if that was true or he was just  kidding us, but like  I said I still have never seen the deer eat the  berries,  Did you notice if any sign that the deer were feeding on the  leave's

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:06 am

bowGal wrote:Never did really know what they were, we have plenty of them around here, but I have never seen the deer feed on them, Growing up  we had them in our back yard, and my dad always told us kid's not to eat those berries, they were poisonous. I have no  idea if that was true or he was just  kidding us, but like  I said I still have never seen the deer eat the  berries,  Did you notice if any sign that the deer were feeding on the  leave's
I didn't pay no attention. They might not really care about trees when they got beans lol
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:04 am

Chinaberry tree, looks like one to me.  Havent seen one in a while. I have seen turkeys and birds eat the berries but cant speak to the deer. I have heard that the berrys are poisonous to people.   I have some bad memories about chinaberry trees.  cut yourself a green small limb about the size as your pinky around and 3 ft long.  now try bending it , try to break it in half. Its like rubber.  That's the tree my Pop always cut his switches off. And the ones my Grandma would make us kids cut our own switches from! imagine that, making a kid in trouble go cut the switch your about to tear his arse up with. Cruel and unusual punishment. Its a wonder any of us turned out Ok isn't it.
they are also the best way of knowing when the crappie are spawning, when the chinaberry trees are blooming the crappie are biting. at least that's what the folks use to claim and they were usually right on.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:01 pm

Looks like what we call a choke cherry.  Not sure about the poisonous part, I've tasted choke cherries and you wouldn't want to eat them anyhow, very sour.
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:27 pm

Willy wrote:Chinaberry tree, looks like one to me.  Havent seen one in a while. I have seen turkeys and birds eat the berries but cant speak to the deer. I have heard that the berrys are poisonous to people.   I have some bad memories about chinaberry trees.  cut yourself a green small limb about the size as your pinky around and 3 ft long.  now try bending it , try to break it in half. Its like rubber.  That's the tree my Pop always cut his switches off. And the ones my Grandma would make us kids cut our own switches from! imagine that, making a kid in trouble go cut the switch your about to tear his arse up with. Cruel and unusual punishment. Its a wonder any of us turned out Ok isn't it.
they are also the best way of knowing when the crappie are spawning, when the chinaberry trees are blooming the crappie are biting. at least that's what the folks use to claim and they were usually right on.

And we turned out pretty good people too Cool
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:14 pm

ridgerunner wrote:Looks like what we call a choke cherry.  Not sure about the poisonous part, I've tasted choke cherries and you wouldn't want to eat them anyhow, very sour.

x2, same as what we have here and also call them choke cherries but we eat them alot, I love em even though they are very sour.  Deer love them here, both the berries and the tree buds all winter long. They are one of the most important winter browse species up here, in some areas they never get more than 3' tall because the deer browse them right down every winter.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum