Well what do ya know...I have my Iowa trip scheduled right on time!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Well what do ya know...I have my Iowa trip scheduled right on time!!!

Post  shedder on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:05 pm

I was looking into the annual rut predictions from Mr Alsheimer...Sometimes I really have to laugh at some of these other predictors with all or the prime time and secondary, peak and almost peak and almost almost peak times to be in the woods it seems that some of the great predictions give you so many secondary options to be in the woods that no dahh you are sooner or later going see some activity while out there  geek.  Charles Alsheimer's rut predictions do seem to have some consistency to them.  So I looked it up today to see what I was looking at for my scheduled time for Iowa.  
I'm scheduling November 4th - 14th for my Iowa trip...
Heres what I found 
According to Alsheimer’s Lunar Calendar, major “seeking” behavior should pick up around October 30th and continue until around November 6th, when major “chasing” should begin. This wild rutting frenzy will continue until around November 14th when the “tending” phase should be beginning and the “lockdown” period will follow shortly. 

I think I chose my time correctly...I'm coming in 2 days before the major chasing phase is set to start and staying right up until the tending phase starts and all the craziness ends!!  Hello Iowa Booner part 2!!  I'm looking for JR!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Well what do ya know...I have my Iowa trip scheduled right on time!!!

Post  soil on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:24 pm

I'm not knocking him, but if you used those same dates and phases for every single year you'd be right on the money more often than you'd be wrong!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:52 pm

soil wrote:I'm not knocking him, but if you used those same dates and phases for every single year you'd be right on the money more often than you'd be wrong!
x2, I'd say his dates just happen to line up with the way it is every year. November 1 to 14 you need to be in the woods if you're a serious archery hunter. Either way Matt, I can't wait to hear your stories from Land of the Giants.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:17 pm

You guys are too funny!  I deleted  part of my post that asked how is it a prediction when it typically happens at that time every year...but I wanted to be positive for a change!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  BBinPA on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:27 pm

And if you follow QDMA on twitter you'll know they try to tear down the 'lunar rut' every chance they get.
BBinPA
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:29 pm

soil wrote:I'm not knocking him, but if you used those same dates and phases for every single year you'd be right on the money more often than you'd be wrong!
 Wink  but I also  so enjoy what goes on here  the last  2 week's of  Oct,  and late season- I have not even looked yet to  see  this year's  full moon predictions  Crying or Very sad . personally  I do not like hunting during  the so called day's of Prime rut, now that  might be different if we ever could  get a good enough number of doe's built back up in our area,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:08 pm

I agree Barb, The last two weeks of October can be good. I've had some great encounters with some really good bucks around the 21st of October when they spend a little extra time in the mornings making scrapes on the way to their bedding areas.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:52 pm

I've had wonderful luck in Kansas that last week of October.  Having been to Iowa a number of times
I worried of the risk of losing an entire hunt being shut down due to high temps during the pre rut.  If I get those high temps the second week of Nov...I still have a shot at a giant moving if a doe is approaching esterous but if it's the last week of Oct that buck is just going to hold tight until the cooling of darkness.  
You are right Barb, there are so many positives with the biggest being the hunting pressure from both the rut hunters as well as the pheasant hunters come Nov 1 just won't be there that last week of Oct. But I just can't risk having the daytime movement come to a halt because of the heat.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:10 pm

Matt, if I were to believe one person on when the rut would/should be , Charlie is the man. The main reason I will listen to Charlie is simply because of his location and also the man knows his stuff !! He is not from the Midwest , he is just a short drive from here and even shorter for you  Very Happy !! Two of the most knowledgeable men about deer live very close together and are the two that I will listen to , one about deer and the other about foodplots !!
Now I also must say I don't really care what Charlie says because I'm in the woods each and everyday from the bow opener until the last day of late bow/muzzleloader season  Very Happy !!! But when he says the rut is going on , I leave the hand held yatzee game at home !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:35 pm

Rick, 
I'm heading over to Bath, NY next week for a camping trip with the family...hoping to check out his place!  I think highly of his faith...would love to talk God and deer with him.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum