Afternoon. How to get out?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Afternoon. How to get out?

Post  kyhunter123 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:15 pm

My best stand and the one i hunt the most, is in the back side of a Bean field. iv got a big bottom to my left. the field to my right. And a thicket to my right also, on the other side of the field. My problem is. i never know where the deer are going to be bedding. One day they will be here. One day there will be here. Then the next they will be here. But anyways. My only way in is to park my Fourwheeler on the entrance to the field. Which is about 400-500 yards away. The field is not a very wide field. More long. So im on one end while the fourwheeler is on the other. But my problem is. If the deer come out of the thicket, or the bottom, or where ever they come from. And go the the beans and feed. They would be between me and the fourwheeler.... So whats the best way to get out? Just walk and hope they dont go far??
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Re: Afternoon. How to get out?

Post  Mountainman Vic on Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:23 am

If you can get someone to help you. Have them pull in to the other end of the field to run the deer off. If not. Take a call of some sort that you can blow and have the deer run off the field.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:22 pm

When it comes to hunting field edge stands there was one thing I realized long ago.  There is no way around it.  To keep from spooking every deer off that field within a weeks worth of sits, you are going to have to have different entrance and exit routes.  Theres no getting around it unless you are blessed with someone who can dig you a nice ditch right up to your stand so you can sneak in undetected!  

It sounds like I would be walking up the field straight to your stand to hunt it in the evenings and then exit that stand down through that bottom off to the left and circle back towards the road harmlessly away from your stand and the field...Its going to possibly put an extra 45 minutes or more onto your exit at night but it will be worth it! 

then just reverse it for the morning hunt...

Hopefully you have permission for that land already but if not you might be surprised to see yourself getting permission just to walk thru that area to get to your stand.  If they are not sure about it...try telling them you are just trying to keep from spooking the deer off of the fields in the evening...and that we all know what happens once they are spooked off of the fields in the evening. They become NOCTURNAL and then your neighbor won't see them either if he likes to hunt.
The main point to bring up to your neighbor is that you would not be walking through his land hunting, heck you wouldn't be walking through his land during the light...That would defeat the purpose...You just want to walk through in the evening after dark once the deer have moved into the fields...Heck it may lead to some new ground to hunt!
And this would be a mute point if you already hunt the land  cheers .

When I started getting serious about shooting bigger bucks, I keyed on not only my entrance but my exit routes to my stands.  I was as particular with the wind and my routes as I was with my stands!  
I paid off too as I started shooting more mature bucks every season.  
Now with my health I have to be more concerned with how easy it is to get to and from where I hunt and my results are paying for it!  So if you put a little extra effort on figuring out your best exit route and stick to it.  Cause its going to suck come Dark:30 when your ATV is just an easy 5 minute walk North down that open field and you climb out of your stand heading SE for a 50 minute walk in the dark down into the messed up bottom...Until we all are looking at you awesome video kill on CTDoutdoors!!   Buck  Shoot arrow

For the times I had deer right around my stand and could not get out...
I carried my electronic Coyote call and let out the pack of coyote howls.
I also carried some rocks in my backpack and tossed a few rocks out towards the deer to scare them away.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:55 pm

This is the field. The stand faces to the left of the picture. the bottom is the bottom of the picture. And across that field is a ticket all the way up to the fourwheeler.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:34 pm

THIS PLACE LOOK AWESOME!!! Congrats on a great spot  Very Happy 

Sometimes your best stand choice is not in the best deer sign...as hard as it might be.  I wouldn't rule out checking out the trails that have to be cutting along that inside corner along the thumb of that field as well.  

Your sign may not be quite as staggering as in that corner but its gotta be pretty good right in there as well.  Factor in its just plane easier to get in and out of might be enough to be a solid second look.

Does that bottom hook up with that pathway that is leading to you parking area somewhere?... its not where you want to be for a SW wind but that would make the most sense to me as far as getting out of there quietly for that stand
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:01 pm

shedder wrote:THIS PLACE LOOK AWESOME!!! Congrats on a great spot  Very Happy 

Sometimes your best stand choice is not in the best deer sign...as hard as it might be.  I wouldn't rule out checking out the trails that have to be cutting along that inside corner along the thumb of that field as well.  

Your sign may not be quite as staggering as in that corner but its gotta be pretty good right in there as well.  Factor in its just plane easier to get in and out of might be enough to be a solid second look.

Does that bottom hook up with that pathway that is leading to you parking area somewhere?... its not where you want to be for a SW wind but that would make the most sense to me as far as getting out of there quietly for that stand
I would love to have a stand on the top side of that thumb. But it's all cedars and little trees and there's so trees I could put a stand in in there. At the end of thumb is a straight down drop into a oak flat on the neighboring property.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:59 pm

I have been penned down a few times. I usually sit until about an hour after dark then Im ready to go. I have been known to use a coyote howler and either bark or howl with it. They usually go on alert and ease off.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:10 pm

You ever thought about  setting a ground blind up  in those Cedar's? I have a couple set up's   with my ground  blind's buried in the cedar's along  long fields  like that  and they are my favorite  area's to sit!!!!!!!
 Beautiful  property  Jacob,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:23 pm

bowGal wrote:You ever thought about  setting a ground blind up  in those Cedar's? I have a couple set up's   with my ground  blind's buried in the cedar's along  long fields  like that  and they are my favorite  area's to sit!!!!!!!
 Beautiful  property  Jacob,
Iv actually got a blind in there but I gotta replace it. The bars had broke in it and is just been there sence.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:39 pm

This is the whole property. (Im sure i didnt get the lines exact, but there close). You would think i could find a nice deer somewhere on this place. But i have yet to!!  Crying or Very sad  Mad ( The blue and red dot up top is the house lol)

Last edited by kyhunter123 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:03 pm

With a SW wind and that thicket on the opposite side of that field...What do you think about having a stand or blind along that funnel where you park?  Especially if it leads to that thicket.  That wood row will be a gold mine for trolling bucks looking for a hot doe!  It sets up nicely for a SW wind for you to sneak in and out nicely as well.  I think if you find another place to park and not be afraid to spend a few late mornings and early afternoons in that funnel or just off that funnel you will be pleasantly surprised on the daytime deer flow through there! 
Now to figure out your other stand.
This post is fun!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:17 pm

shedder wrote:With a SW wind and that thicket on the opposite side of that field...What do you think about having a stand or blind along that funnel where you park?  Especially if it leads to that thicket.  That wood row will be a gold mine for trolling bucks looking for a hot doe!  It sets up nicely for a SW wind for you to sneak in and out nicely as well.  I think if you find another place to park and not be afraid to spend a few late mornings and early afternoons in that funnel or just off that funnel you will be pleasantly surprised on the daytime deer flow through there! 
Now to figure out your other stand.
This post is fun!!
That's more of a fence row then anything. A couple old guys hunt for the meat during gun season and I pretty much park under there stand. I do have a stand down in the thicket almost straight down in the thicket from the fence row. I never really hunted it last year. It's pretty much the thickest part of anywhere after everything dies off. But it don't seem to ever hold alot of deer in it late in the year. There are always alot of rubs and scrapes in it during November though. I think most deer early are spending most of there time in that bottom. It's a HUGE bottom that runs for miles and miles. They got a creek and food. They probably don't come out of it very much. Almost every picture I get of deer are coming out of it.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:10 am

To get out of the stand and back to the atv, wait until its dark. Not a few minutes past shooting hours but dark as in you can't see your hand in front of your face, then walk right out the middle ! No flashlight either. Take your time , stop once every 25-50 yards, wait a minute and start again. I have done it that way for years with no problems. Yes you just may bump some deer, but with no light they really don't know what you are and rarely have I heard them run for more than a few yards. But once again , what works for some areas may not be the ticket for other areas.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:03 am

Pa. Bowhunter wrote:To get out of the stand and back to the atv, wait until its dark. Not a few minutes past shooting hours but dark as in you can't see your hand in front of your face, then walk right out the middle ! No flashlight either. Take your time , stop once every 25-50 yards, wait a minute and start again. I have done it that way for years with no problems. Yes you just may bump some deer, but with no light they really don't know what you are and rarely have I heard them run for more than a few yards. But once again , what works for some areas may not be the ticket for other areas.
That's what iv done for the last few years. But just didn't know if there was a better way. Some of these deer are dumb. Like really not smart lol. So I wasn't to worried about bumping them out. Usually they come back out to the fields within a hour after I come through
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum