If in doubt...... Back out ??????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

If in doubt...... Back out ??????

Post  Mountainman Vic on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:45 am

I've been watching a bunch of hunting shows where they often are making what appears to be really good shots but just aren't quite sure of their hit so they back out until morning or later in the day. Okay, so if you shoot a giant buck and it would break your heart to not recover him, I under stand this and have done so. But what about these guys doing this with does. Ethically we should want to find either a doe or a buck equally, but lets face it, I shoot doe for meat. If your shot looked good, why back out? I'm going after her because I want an edible deer. I don't get why these guys are shooting does and letting them lay over night in 50 and 60 degree temps. I've lost the use of meat on about every deer I ever let go over night. I also believe that gut shot deer start to spoil before the deer is dead. 

So what has your experiences been with letting them lay overnight and the effect on taste of the meat?

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: If in doubt...... Back out ??????

Post  Willy on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:09 am

I don't know Vic.  I shoot to watch em fall........

I know what your talking about, what cracks me up is the guy who lets his deer go all night and then talks about how it was cool last night so the meat is fine, it may be ok but I guarantee it isn't fine. My experience is with a marginally shot deer, even if you find it that night, they have wound themselves up so much trying to get away from you that the meat is tainted to a point already.  And like you said if its a paunch shot deer its even worse.  You remember the cramps you use to get when the coach made you do those stadium runs ?  That's lactic acid that builds up in your muscles.  Same thing happens in a deer when they get shot and then run for miles before expiring. They die with all that acid in the muscle tissue and it changes the taste, and one that expires that way and then it is left to lay without being able to cool down quick is even worse.
I have my own opinions as to why so many shows are doing that now, but I will keep it to myself.
Where I hunt these days a deer left over night is coyote supper. Sometimes a little and sometimes a lot.  And even one that only gets the arse ate out of isn't worth trying to salvage, the male coyotes will piss all over the carcass before leaving it to mark it. Maybe all in my head but I aint eating nothing a coyote has pissed on. You guys have seen the results of the bucks I have left over night. every single one has had some sort of coyote damage to it the next morning. My buck last year, I heard the coytotes on him before I made the walk back to my truck. I was torn between going back down there, my gut told me the racket I was hearing was a pack on my deer, but my head said maybe it is and maybe it isn't. When we found him, my gut was right. Had that been a doe I would have been all over it without hesitation.
I have a method I use for filling my freezer. I will take a doe or two with the bow in Jan, if the temps will allow me to sit in a tree comfortably. But its not like buck hunting. I shoot them close and I shoot them perfect or I don't shoot. I have never seen a double lunged deer, buck or doe go more than 75 yards and they are only alive as long as the oxygen that is in their blood at the time of the shot allows, that is usually less than a minute. If its to cold, I break out the rifle and I still get em close and I head or neck shoot them, no tracking. The best tasting venison is always that where you can get them opened up and cooled down rapidly.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:05 am

Vic 
I see what you are saying about the doe and I agree with you to a point.  It may be a flawed practice to back out...and I hate it's overuse in filming for lighting purposes!!
The point I'm having a problem with...damn good thought provoking post Vic!  I've typed erased typed erased...
My problem is dealing with, why should I be solely concerned with the doe meat and when it comes to a buck the meat becomes secondary and the rack is my first concern???  I sort of feel ashamed that is how I am!  See I think I am approaching that next stage in my hunting life?!  scratch
The two deer I have backed out were not recovered until after it was too late...
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:54 pm

Matt, I think the same thing, but lets face it. When many of us hunt for a buck, we aren't out there after meat. Many of us pass up many bucks which would be legal to take but we are hunting for a special type of deer. While the meat is still important to us, There is more to it than just looking for meat in the freezer. 

And Willy, I agree with you 100%, I once shot a doe and had pulled the shot. I got her back in the liver. I started tracking her and saw her bedded up. I backed out of 2 hours and came back. She was still barely alive and I finished her off. While I kept the meat. It was the worst eating deer I ever kept. The meat was tough and the darkest meat I ever had.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:55 pm

True the rack is why I travel the Midwest to hunt deer and there is nothing wrong with that!  I guess what I was struggling with was forgoing the meat to save the rack every time especially when it just isn't necessary.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:40 pm

Vic , this ain't Hollywood , or Iowa or Kansas etc... ! I have only ever left two deer lay for a long time. One was 100% in my mind a liver shot, that doe ran about 10 yards and stopped. She was bleeding good but then ran. I looked for awhile and jumped a deer, not sure if it was her so I went to the house. The next morning I saw where she came right back to the shot spot, actually dropping blood within 1 foot of my arrow that was still in the ground. I followed her tracks and went up the creek and found her 100 yards , with 3/4 of her body in the creek. Luckily the creek was running nice and cold and the meat was fine, but only because she was in the creek. The 2nd one ended up in a field chewed up by a coyote. I say this whole idea of backing out is 1,000% all for the camera !!! If you have great blood from the start , that deer will be dead , well unless you hit a leg or something like that .
About hunting for a rack or meat . Yea a nice buck is great but when gun season rolls in , I could really give a crap , I'm hungry !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:58 pm

I track every deer the same wait an hour after the shot and go get it. There has only been 2 occasions where I left deer over night. One was a single lung/liver that I started tracking with great blood and jumped up. I backed out and came back the next morning.  The deer had went about 100 yards and died. I was to late though coyotes got to him.  Everything from the arrow hole back was gone. The other was a single lung hit. I started tracking and jumped him. I would track him and jump him and back out.  I ended up jumping him 4 times over 3 days all with a good blood trail. I never found him and I'm not even sure if he died. I don't get it either I see perfect shot deer left over night for no reason.  I could understand if they didn't know where the shot was or blood was bad. With them being able to look back at the tape in slow mo. There is no reason for it.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:43 pm

The only reason is for the camera !!! I have seen it done with deer shot with guns and muzzleloaders. After having one get ate by a coyote , I will do the usual hour wait and its time to go after it , I don't care if it takes all night !!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum