Big changes coming

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Big changes coming

Post  wihunter24 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:24 pm

After working for my current employer for the last 7 years doing commercial / large scale erosion control and landscaping, it's become increasingly apparent a change of scenery is needed.  While it was a decent job to begin with, the last year or so has really worn on me.  I'm sick and tired of working 70+ hrs a week, doing 6 people's jobs, running / babysitting 8 different crews on top of my own, missing out on whatever my family and friends are doing and not to mention my hobbies / interests.  

The other 2 main guys have both quit within the last month because they're tired of being used and jerked around and as of 8AM tomorrow I'm going to be the 3rd to leave.  A couple days ago, I was approached by a local couple who I work with on the side doing landscaping, dirt work, driveways, snow plowing etc...  They're at the point where the 2 of them can't keep up with all their work and they need someone fulltime who can run equipment, has a CDL, and basically knows what's going on and is capable.  Since the other 2 guys quit at my current job, I got a company truck last week and have been offered a raise to the point of making more money than I ever have before.  However, it's too little too late and isn't worth the headaches the job causes.  Money doesn't buy happiness- at least not for me.  The company has turned into a sinking ship and I'm jumping ship before it completely goes down.  

While I'm taking a little bit of a pay cut, my insurance is being taken care of and I'll be working in an area I'm from and love.  No more being shipped 4 hrs away- instead I'll be within 20 mins of home all day every day working for the nicest people in the world who I've known since I was 5 yrs old.  They told me that if I want / need a day off to just let them know and it's done, no ?'s asked.  They're also avid hunters who take a few days off in November for bow season and don't work during gun season, which works out just fine for me.  I couldn't be happier at the moment and am glad things are working out like they are.  September 2nd can't get here fast enough!  I may actually have time to hunt this fall- not that I have any decent bucks running around or anything Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil
wihunter24
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Big changes coming

Post  Maniac Outdoors on Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:18 pm

I did the same thing your doing back in April, me and my better half walked out of the family business of 15 years. We couldn't be happier, we took off a month just to relax. It was way to much stress and a ton of hours and weekends,  now I work for a company that there are no weekend's,  health benefits and ZERO STRESS! So enjoy your new job.
Maniac Outdoors
Admin
Admin

http://usahuntingpros.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  buckeyehunter on Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Congrats, sounds like a much needed change! I made a similar change 2.5 years ago and wouldn't change a thing, had to give up a little and got much more out of it. I got a 5 year old boy and don't miss a thing he has going on now. Some things are priceless whether it's family things or time doing whatever hobby it is you enjoy doing! Good luck!!

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:31 pm

Sounds like you're making the right move zach!  Congrats on the change.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:42 pm

Congrats and best of luck to you!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:30 pm

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. Good luck in your new career.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bow_dad on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Sounds like a good deal for you, gotta like that.
bow_dad
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:52 pm

Good for you Zack!!!!!!!!!!!!!And  I wish you nothing but the best, And just know you will   be just fine and much happier!
My  gosh bud, you have to be the one and only / and all way's have  been of the hardest working  guy's I have ever/known  in your age  bracket,  .  Everything you do you have given well over  110 percent be in your  work or  your passion  for the great outdoor's,
 Not to get mussy  on you or anything, I personally have  all way's respected the   Heck out of you!!!!!!!,
   I am just so very  happy for you right now,
    Now could you  please finally find some time to find the women of your dream's sometime  in the  next  10 year's or so,  I know your picky, but  would really love to still be alive to  hear about that chapter in your life also.

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  wihunter24 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:12 pm

bowGal wrote:Good for you Zack!!!!!!!!!!!!!And  I wish you nothing but the best, And just know you will   be just fine and much happier!
My  gosh bud, you have to be the one and only / and all way's have  been of the hardest working  guy's I have ever/known  in your age  bracket,  .  Everything you do you have given well over  110 percent be in your  work or  your passion  for the great outdoor's,
 Not to get mussy  on you or anything, I personally have  all way's respected the   Heck out of you!!!!!!!,
   I am just so very  happy for you right now,
    Now could you  please finally find some time to find the women of your dream's sometime  in the  next  10 year's or so,  I know your picky, but  would really love to still be alive to  hear about that chapter in your life also.

Maybe it's from growing up on a farm in small town WI or its just the way I'm wired, but my theory is- if you're going to do it, take the time and / or money to do it right the first time.  From the time I was little, I was always told that if I wanted to something, then I needed to get my butt out of bed and work for it.  I'd much rather get up at 4 or 5 AM vs sleeping in til 730 or later.

As for the lady.... I may actually have time now.  Time will tell.
wihunter24
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:19 am

wihunter24 wrote:

Maybe it's from growing up on a farm 
That's what it is right there. There has never been a comparison on work ethic between kids who grew up on a farm and those that sat around watching tv.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  G3 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:20 pm

Good for you buddy! I am sure you will be enjoying life a whole lot more now.....but for GOD SAKE DO NOT LISTEN TO BARBRA!!!!!!! Do not, I repeat DO NOT go looking for the woman of your dreams! That shit is expensive!!!!!  Very Happy
G3
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:38 pm

Best of luck with the changes.

Good advice Tim! Lol

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down