Just about here...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just about here...

Post  MEhunter on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:01 pm

Summer is finally about over and the fall hunting season kicks off for us northerners on Monday. Monday night is opening night of bear season! It's been a fairly slow year on my local baits around the house. Not many bears hitting and nothing big yet, but I will still sit all week and hopefully something bigger shows up. What I'm really excited for is the following week...next Friday (the 29th) I take off with a crew of 13 guys for the far northwest corner of the state for an unguided bear hunt I setup through a good friends lodge. 130 miles in on dirt roads and away from civilization! Just this past weekend I headed up with 3 of the guys going on the hunt to setup all the tree stands at the bait sites. It was a pretty busy weekend, but we got it all done. Took off from home around 4 o'clock Friday afternoon and headed er for the big woods. Made one stop along the way for dinner on the shores of Moosehead lake. Moosehead is the biggest lake in Maine and I believe one of the biggest, if not the biggest on the east coast, other than the Great Lakes and Champlain of course. Here's a shot of the view at the restaurant...pretty tough to beat...

After eating we continued the ride into their lodge which is located in the northwestern part of the state. A couple days before we had left we had a "wicked" rain storm come through and that made the traveling pretty rough. Lots of pot holes and washouts along the way, as well as a lot of moose dodging (think we saw 8 on the way in), but we finally made it to camp around 1 am.

After a few hours of sleep we were up and in the main lodge getting ready to drive another 50 miles to get our stands set. As the crow flies the baits are only 15 miles from camp, but there is a major obstacle in the way...the St John River. Normally there are plenty of birdges going across it, but recently the logging companies took a couple out that were getting bad, instead of repairing. This is the main reason my buddies aren't running regular guided hunts in the area because it just takes to long and requires to much work to get up there. I took a picture of the atlas, the red line is what we have to travel to get to our camp site for the hunt, quite the long jounry around...

With the roads the way they were and hauling a big utility trailer loaded with 11 stands, the drive wasn't exactly "quick," but we were hanging and baiting stands by 10 am. By 4 we finally had 11 stands hung, 2 ground blinds built, 10 cameras hung, and a lot of shooting lane clearing completed.

View from inside one ground blind...

And view from bait looking back at blind...

Few other stand and blind pictures...

Think the bears have been into the blueberries at all????

These next photos got our blood pumping. There are many trees at some of the sites marked up and chewed/snapped off...

A few other pics from the trip...

Big bull was standing in the middle of the river way off in the distance...

Luckily we only got one of these in about 260 miles worth of dirt road traveling this weekend...

Hung a trail camera right where I killed my bull in 2012. Put it in video mode on an area that they moose travel up and done the road quite often. I expect to have some good video when we return for the moose hunt (which is in another 4 weeks)

Looking up the road from where I shot the bull...

Should be quite the trip. Most of the guys going haven't bear hunted before. I'm not even hunting, just being the "guide" per say. Since it's unguided we are also camping out and have to take care of all our own means, skinning/cutting of the bears, and everything else. My guess is it will be quite the busy week for myself, but I can't wait. We are gone from August 29th until September 7th. The following weekend I will drive all the way back up to scout for moose and then it's home for 5 days until we return again for the moose hunt the week of September 22nd. It's going to be a busy few weeks, but I can't say that I'm going to complain...

View from campsite on the St John River (in the 2nd photo you can actually see the main bridge that they recently took down)...

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Re: Just about here...

Post  Willy on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:22 pm

That looks like a fantastic spot. Cant wait to see some more pictures. Take a pole with you and lets see what some of the pretty brookies look like from up there!
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:09 pm

beautiful  photo's Dave,  best of luck to All your   guy's,
 Can not wait to hear how the moose hunting goes,
 Every time  I see photo's of these beautiful county side's , it just make me wander   Wink  How on earth can anyone  enjoy city life Wink

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:16 pm

Nice pics Dave !!!! I'm washing up my clothes, filling the Dodge up and I'm on my way  Very Happy !!!!
Barb I have to totally agree with you , why would anyone want to look at nothing but concrete and tall buildings when you have places like this to look at !!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:38 pm

I love it Dave. That is awesome. I hope all the guys put a good bear on the ground and as always, I look forward to your pictures and stories of success.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:10 pm

hope all that work pays off for several of your group!  it sounds like a good time
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:50 am

Best of luck to all of you out there Dave both with the bear and the moose!!  I so look forward to your photos and stories every fall!! 
Have a safe fun and successful trip!  
To inflated tires, working cameras, flying true and the beast is down!
Have a great camp!
Now I'm in the mood for some blueberry pancakes for some reason.  Question
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:26 am

Great pics Dave! Looks like an awesome trip, and some very rugged country. Good luck with the hunt, I am sure that ground holds some good animals. Looking forward to seeing more.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:22 am

Awesome!!!  Good luck to you guys!  Thanks for all the pics...look forward to reading about the adventure!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum