Bear totals car at campground near Redbridge PA!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bear totals car at campground near Redbridge PA!

Post  shedder on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:47 am

Friends of ours were over this morning talking about their daughter's camping nightmare.  Mom, Dad and 3 young children are ok but whitnesed something they will never forget. 
Experienced campers they had their food in coolers inside their SUV enjoying family time around the campsite.  They noticed an adult bear with three little ones following close behind.  The bears made a b-line to their SUV...the momma bear started pushing on the side windows of the families SUV clawing at the roof.  Before long they had broken all the windows and were inside the SUV trying to get into the coolers. 
The father tried to make noise and yell at the bears but the Mother bear just walked toward the family snapping her jaws before going back to the SUV.  The family decided to retreat to the camper as a last resort they were afraid the bears were going to go to the camper next but had no where else to go!  The bears thankfully did not!
The bears destroyed the SUV with all the windows broken all the seats torn with there claws.  There must have been more damage as State Farm has totaled the SUV!!
The campgrounds reply was, this is the bears territory when the father stated this bear needs to be moved to another area...

So if you are camping in the Redbridge PA area be aware of a momma bear who likes SUVs as a snack!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Bear totals car at campground near Redbridge PA!

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:35 am

Well, that will be something for sure they will never forget. lol. I'm glad they kept their distance.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:16 pm

affraid affraid affraid affraid Glad everyone  is alright!! But Matt did you have to post this,  My guy's are heading to the mountain's tomorrow, and  the last few year's their bear encounter's are becoming  more and more frequent.

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:23 pm

bowGal wrote:affraid affraid affraid affraid Glad everyone  is alright!! But Matt did you have to post this,  My guy's are heading to the mountain's tomorrow, and  the last few year's their bear encounter's are becoming  more and more frequent.
Trust me Barb, They will be fine. I've run around for years here and most of the time without a weapon and never once did a bear seem to think he was safe around me. The second they smell you, they are trying to put as much distance between you and them as they can.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:27 pm

Mountainman Vic wrote:
bowGal wrote:affraid affraid affraid affraid Glad everyone  is alright!! But Matt did you have to post this,  My guy's are heading to the mountain's tomorrow, and  the last few year's their bear encounter's are becoming  more and more frequent.
Trust me Barb, They will be fine. I've run around for years here and most of the time without a weapon and never once did a bear seem to think he was safe around me. The second they smell you, they are trying to put as much distance between you and them as they can.
  Vic they had  A very aggressive bear ordeal  last year,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Barb, They just need to be more aggressive than the bear. lol. As long as they don't get between a sow with cubs they will be fine.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Mountainman Vic wrote:Barb, They just need to be more aggressive than the bear. lol. As long as they don't get between a sow with cubs they will be fine.
 LOL that or a dead elk in the area- they were sitting in  - The bear won

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:15 pm

You know Barb, It just dawned on me. They need to take me along. You know. To help with the bears and such. Very Happy

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:19 pm

Barb,
They'll be ok!  They got weapons if they need um!!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:39 pm

Matt, they need to keep their coolers outside from now on Very Happy !! Good they are all o.k. !!!
Barb, quit worrying Very Happy !! Like Vic , I have been around these critters for a long time, have had some close encounters, like 3 feet away , and had zero problems. Only 1 time did I fell uneasy and it was my fault for going after this male , during mating season with the camera. I first got the front paw stomp , then the fake charge and finally the mouth chomping with the bear in an aggressive stance. I just backed up slowly, while talking to the bear and he went his way and I went mine. They are way more scared of us than we should be of them, just big furry babies !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:18 pm

Mountainman Vic wrote:You know Barb, It just dawned on me. They need to take me along. You know. To help with the bears and such. Very Happy
 They wanted a  4  guy this year Vic, heck you can go with them any time you like,
Had to   tell you, Chuck  Paddock is down there now, he is mule deer hunting and he said they have seen a ton's of  bear's and he  and James  both  have  bear tag's, I do not know for certain if  Brian got a bear tag, he wanted to  and  Larry said he  had talked about it earlier in the year.
 I think   Chuck is hunting at a lower elevation then  were the guy's are   because from his photo's, I know the guy's never see that much flat ground  lol!

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum