Starting over

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Starting over

Post  shedder on Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:50 am

I got a text from Dan (BBinPA) today...we are members of a huge big woods timber hunting club together.  Trying to get our schedules in sync to get down there to scout together.  Its funny his timing was impeccable as I had just returned from a scouting trip from there Thursday!  I had one Bushnell Trophy Cam set out on a heavy game trail where it exited into a big woods clearing.  I was excited to see what might be on the SD card.  I opened up the cam and it was all wet inside!  The screen was blanked out and the batteries were wet and even had small pieces of mud on them.  
I pulled the whole camera and repositioned a new Stealth camera in the same area but this time I tucked it back off the trail looking into the woods instead of into the clearing...Much more hidden and with a nice long view of the winding game trail it will afford multiple pics at approaching game!

When I got home I threw the cam into a bowl of rice to see if that would draw out the moisture...no luck as it wouldn't stay on for more than a few seconds.  The SD card was full!  Unfortunately every pic was coated in a pink hue that made it impossible to see! Sad I should have put up a Covert!  
Back to the hunting club...after moving the cam I set out following the game trail to see what I could find.  My mission was to find some Oak trees.  In particular 1 lone White Oak would do.  After losing my Rockstar farm I have been in a slump.  The bucks just were not showing up on my cams other than that one nice NT on the hidden field on my new lease.  Even at that I have not had any pics of him since middle of June! 

So walking this huge 17,000 acre place has been daunting every year trying to find the place to be hasn't been very easy over the years.  While walking on the game trail I spot what looks like a depression so I head over to see what it looks like...low and behold I stumble onto a little 18" Oak sapling then another and 10 more!  Bingo I found Oaks not just Oaks but...

Its in such a beautiful place of mixed hardwoods as it transitions into this thick sloping Apple ladened regrowth bottom wet land!!  As good as this spot looked I continued scouting and found a small stream and followed that for a while.  This ended up being a very good decision as this stream lead me to a large giant oak grove in the middle of the big woods!  This area also had a ton of beech nuts that were getting raked over...Hoping by bear??

All these roads are non public logging roads so there is no intrusion from the public as is a gated access...I love my Verizon cell service!!
From there I pulled my cams on the Rockstar farm today. SadSad That was tuff as hell to do!  
In doing so I decided that it was time to start focusing on other places and forget this place once and for all!  I rekindled an old friendship with a sweet lady that I haven't talked to since my Thyroid cancer and the PE...It was so nice talking to her again.  At 86 she was just getting out of her car from a trip to town!  Lives alone and doesn't have much family left.  She told me today that even her nephew who lives two houses up won't come to see her...Maybe once a year or two.  And this is your 86 year old Aunt who lives alone just two houses away...sad!  I loved to see her smile as we talked today it was a beautiful day!  She is looking forward to meeting Big L!  I will bring him over so that he can have the pleasure of meeting such a beautiful woman!  Happy to hear we can always enjoy her property!  

From there I went to my old stand by. I've posted about it before...My special tree where it all started!  This year its not going to be an end of the year single day hunt for old times sake.  I'm hunting this ground to kill a big buck!  Its set up great with nice pinch points and crop fields leading to beaver ponds and hidden clover fields.  This has it all!  Without the draw of the Rockstar farm  I can now enjoy this place more this hunting season!
I put two cams in this area today.  Both of them are where I always wanted to put a camera up but never devoted enough time to give this place enough of a chance.  Until this year!  
The first cam is set up along a heavy deer trail as it leads out of the thick nasty beaver pond over growth that happens to be filled with Apple trees!  The trail empties out into a gorgeous hidden clover/oat field and I have a Red40 set up so its catching the trail and a portion of the field!  I can't wait to see what this card pull brings!!

The MP8 is set up along a wood row between the hidden clover/oat field and a brassica mixture field.  The wooded finger tails into the deeper woods where my special tree is where my hunting passion all started at about the age of 16.

Here is the beaver pond that you can see in the map above...just to the right or East of the Red40 camera.  I grew up right here!  This is where I came to fish, catch frogs, watch and wait for that beaver and his tail slap on the water!  I would jump EVERY TIME!  This is where I came to dream, to play super heroes, climb trees, play truth or dare and who do you like better.  This is where I came when I was bored, mad, sad you get the picture...This was my one place where my life was good!  No matter what I came here with my two best friends or alone it didn't matter as long as I was here. Today when I realized the field was planted in corn again...its like only once in 10 years that its planted in corn it seems!  I knew I was going to be drawn to that pond!  I don't know if letting go of the Rockstar farm was fate just for today and starting over or if today was just the first step in what is going to be a special special hunting season???
It could end right here and that would be ok because today when I cut that bend in the corn and crested over that knoll into those beautiful woods.  I remembered those banks filled with those delicate White flowers just like I was a kid again...I snapped a few pics of a clump of willows where a beaver had chewed down many many years ago.  Then I made my way to my childhood and there I was Starting Over...
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post  chukbuk on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:09 am

I got up this morning, made coffee and opened up the forum and read this first!  As I got through the beginning, I realized I was reading your words but thinking of my own place that had its own charm just like this.  Many great experiences with friends (one of them is gone now), and even an old woman who we would visit when we were up.  Thanks for kindling those memories!  Seems there is a reason you are back home again...it will be to make new fond memories!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Godfather on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:03 am

Great stuff Matt!! It sounds like you are really going tot have a great season! Let's hope all of the scouting pays off for you in a big way!
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum