Google earth and hunting a new property

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Google earth and hunting a new property

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:12 pm

Barb had asked how I came up with a game plan on where to hunt on the Kentucky lease that Matt and I have. I don't like to post location pics of the exact properties I hunt on open forums. Even though I don't have any good info/buck pics  right now, someone could store this kind of information away and then someday use your hard work to kill the buck your after and all you have is a drag trail and tracks made by pink crocs.  lol!

So I made a fake property outline in the general area that I was hunting and explain what I was looking for. First off, There is nothing like being able to walk the property and for early season, if you want to kill big bucks, you have to know where big bucks are. I didn't and if I had killed one it would have been total luck. Early season we all know that bucks can be patterned and that pretty much means you need to do your leg work and find them and keep an eye on them, but the ruts a little different. Bucks are going to be moving all over the place in that cruise period and I'm hoping I can help some of you with what I've learned. As well I would like to see or hear any other tricks to using Google Earth. I know that some of you like some other sites better and I just couldn't find them so if you can share that. I'd love to see it. 

Okay, here is the first pic. This is our property in it's most recent satellite image. This normally shows us pretty close to what the property will look like and a good chance if you figure a corn and soybean rotation in the midwest you might even have a good guess as to what crops you will have.

In the next  pic I used the time laps to find an earlier image from a winter or early spring. I like this for distinguishing where you have hardwood areas (outlined in blue) and evergreens (which this area is likely cedar) Out lined in green. The area with the yellow circle and pin is what looks like a saddle where hardwoods (likely oak) and cedars come together. This to me, makes this something I'm going to go check out. So if you place a pin here or its already there. You can right click it and then click on "Properties" and it will give you the coordinates. Put it in your GPS and your good to go. After you do hike the property and find a great location and save it in your GPS. You can come back and spot a pin with those coordinates and see just where it is on this property. This works so well it's crazy. Here at home I found a giant loan oak in a clear cut. When I spotted the pin, It was on the tree off center to the side I was standing on. 

This last pic is one that Matt got me looking at and that is to use the sun dial and you can drag it through a day and see where the first shade of the evening and the last shade of the morning are going to be on your ridges. Remember your thermals. when those little hollows cool down with the shade they will suck your sent right down in them. Wink 

Well, That's what I try to do. I'd love to here any tips that anyone else has to share.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Google earth and hunting a new property

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:24 pm

I use it all the time. Just like up in Vics area , you can check the mountains for benches , see how that hollow that looks like an easy walk could actually be a straight up walk and so on. I also like to print one out , stuff it in a baggie just to look at for a reference when you up in there. I found a really nice spot that had a huge oak flat just off the side of the mountain that last year had rubs all over the place. Only problem is that freakin road they cut in that follows right along the top of the mountain !!! I never saw anyone up there until that road got cut in and made the walk a nice 2.5 mile hike on all but level ground !!
Plus when I hunted the farm I would print out a pic of it, then pick some spots for yardage references from our stand . No need to guess , look at the paper and your good to go.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:43 pm

I like google earth because you can tilt your view and get a 3d look at the area.

I also use mossy oaks hunting app, it is basically google earth but it can give you hour by hour wind direction and show you where your scent is blowing. I thought that was a neat feature.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:39 pm

Excellent excellent post Vic!  This is the good stuff missing in the hunting videos!!!!  

I like to lower my angle of view like Boss referenced for that 3-D view and I will simply rotate my hunting area map and its surrounding properties to get a feel how the terrain flows together.  It won't take long and you will be able to picture where the deer are moving from property to property and land feature to land feature.  

As Vic stated, I love using the Sun scale Especially for these early season hunts.  Man if you can find a nice pond that is kept shaded most of the day due to topography or you know the time when the shade hits that pond...Look out Early season bucks!  I tell you what.  If I had to pick one corner of a field to sit for an early season hunt never setting foot on the land...I would choose my stand based on the Google Earth sun scale and where the shade first hits the field for my opening evening hunt every time!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:58 am

I saved your map and will be hunting right where that yellow pin is next week! 

Google earth is an incredible tool, I also like Trimble Maps simply because the maps load in "foliage off" view right away.
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum