Taking care of venison

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Taking care of venison

Post  Mountainman Vic on Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:01 pm

Over the years and a lost count of number of deer, I've noticed that some deer just taste better when they hit the table. Not only that but I've also noticed that sometimes the meat is much darker than others. It seems to me that when the meat is darker it's much stronger. This doe that I just killed in Kentucky has to be the lightest colored venison I remember. It's almost the color of beef and it has a really good flavor to it. 
Something I did that I have to wonder if it isn't why is that due to the warm weather, I had to get it cut up and on ice. After I got it cut up, I put it in a cooler with forty pounds of ice. over the past few days, The ice has been melting and it's been in ice water. When I was a kid and used to shoot small game and bring it in. I was thought that you put it in salt water to draw the blood out. While there was no salt in this ice water it was obvious that it was drawing a lot of blood out of this meat and I have to wonder if that isn't the reason for the light color and helping to give the meat a much milder taste. Something else that was different on this deer that I hadn't ever noticed before was the trauma at the entrance was almost nothing. The shot was straight down. Almost literally. I tried to spine/heart shoot her. I was just to the side of the spine and exited at the bottom of the sternum. I'm sure that the extremely high entrance was the reason for the lack of trauma to this area. 
So what have you all noticed or think helps make your venison the best?

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Taking care of venison

Post  ridgerunner on Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:24 pm

I also believe shooting a deer that is calm/relaxed and hasn't been running around a lot before it comes into you helps.  That and well placed shot for a quick kill.  I noticed if the deer gets all worked up before or after the shot the meat seems to get more of a red color to it, adrenalin build up I would guess.
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:47 pm

We have always cut the scent glands off. I'm not sure it really helps but it takes 5 seconds. I don't let my deer hang if it is much over freezing and get the guts out as soon as I can. I've ate deer that weren't field dressed until the next day or were left to hang until the next day when it's close to 60 and it's noticeably worse
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  BuckslayerNY13 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:56 pm

I've always field dressed the deer right on or soon after recovery and only way we leave a deer hanging is if it's freezing out. What my mom and I started to do is right after we cut the meat off the deer we let it sit in a bowl with holes in the bottom and have a smaller bowl under neither so the meat won't sit in the blood and it helps drain it out a little. In the fridge for a day But since we been doing this we noticed a huge difference in taste
BuckslayerNY13
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:55 pm

I dont know if there is any science behind it or just by chance, but I have noticed a major difference in the meat of bucks I have shot in September as compared to November. The only logical explanation I could come up with is that they arent raging on testosterone in September.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  bow_dad on Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:07 pm

The best thing we have going for us is the cooler off a Prarie Farms truck that my brother picked up.  Doesn't matter if it's October one or January 1 we hang them in there.   After a quick clean and skinning job we hang them at 38 f. for 3 or 4 days.  My brother watches the cooler temp meticulously, never lets is get below 36 or above 40.  

Wish we would have figured it out years ago.  We used to grind up all the bucks into burger and save the younger does for steaks and roast,  I honestly have a hard time telling which is which when we are eating it now.

I gotta believe your ice water did the trick though, pretty much exactly how the goose breast get treated around here.
bow_dad
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:39 pm

ridgerunner wrote:I also believe shooting a deer that is calm/relaxed and hasn't been running around a lot before it comes into you helps.  That and well placed shot for a quick kill.  I noticed if the deer gets all worked up before or after the shot the meat seems to get more of a red color to it, adrenalin build up I would guess.
 You hit the nail on the head
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:54 pm

Aside from having a deer that is calm and relaxed early season , one of the biggest things I have noticed is if you can kill one BEFORE they start on the acorns the meat is not nearly as strong. 
Acorns have so much Tanic acid in them that they will change the taste a bunch. Look at the fat you pull out of an earl season deer , it's white. A deer that has been gorging on acorns will have yellow fat.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:02 pm

I have to say the gutting out job is a MAJOR factor in how the meat tastes !! A clean job is better than a dirty job. Plus the temp is the next big factor. If the temps were going to be in the 50's , like the last way too many years , I always have a dozen or so soda bottles froze with water, then if we killed a deer early and wanted to sit all day I would stuff the bottles inside . We didn't always have a place to hang them so I would lay some small logs down to get the deer up off the ground because the ground is an insulator. Then turn the deer over every hour. Then when we got home we skin them , cut the backstraps out, 1/4 the deer and put it in the fridge in the garage for 5 or 6 days. Never once did our deer taste gamey , or have that iron taste to it. But I sure could tell ya all some stories of deer my wifes cousin shot !! Put it this way , when you use a 7 inch blade to gut a deer, well your gonna hit some stuff and open it up, but only to wipe the blade clean on the exposed meat inside the rear legs , yea that works Very Happy !!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:45 pm

Cheers! Always taste best with a six pack Cheers!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:49 am

All of the above, its a combination of factors but shooting a calm animal with low stress and a quick kill, followed by fast and clean field dressing is key. Shoot a big old rutting bull in the cattle pasture whose been running himself ragged, fighting and then leave him overnight before field dressing and you'd have some pretty ugly beef steaks too.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum