One of those places

View previous topic View next topic Go down

One of those places

Post  Mountainman Vic on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:04 pm

Today I make the long bike ride/hike into a place I found about 10 years ago. I've hunted it a few times but never with any success. But we have found some big sheds in here and I have had some good bucks on the camera in here. I call this place the water hole. It has as a waterhole just off the side of an open oak flat with some pretty big red, white and chestnut oaks that is backed up with hemlock and laurel as thick as it gets. In the summer this water hole is so frequented by bear that the trails to and from it literally have the foot prints wore into the ground from the years of travel. Today the acorns were falling like rain and deer have the entire area tore up. There are always some stud bucks hanging in here and year after year there are some giant rubs. I found two fresh scrapes at a big hemlock and put a camera on it. I'm hoping it will make it through any torment that a bear may lay into it and get me a few good pics of what bucks are using the area.

Not the best pic but here is one of the bear trails where their every step is already placed.

Here are a few pics of the water hole

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: One of those places

Post  chukbuk on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:35 pm

I know a spot like that!  May have to trek back to it this fall.  the hair raises on the back of my neck every time I visit it, so hard to get to that I would guess few people know where it is or it's just too much trouble to get to.
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:11 am

Chuck, this is where my last card pull was from. I love this area but hate how much work it take to get into.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:56 am

Love hiking way back in the middle of nowhere and see all the travel routes that come together in a particular spot. So many different animals must visit that water hole! For some reason I always love seeing bear tracks. Even with the amount of bears we have, you still don't see all that many tracks, they are like ghosts up here.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum