So what's going on in Kentucky and Wisconsin????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So what's going on in Kentucky and Wisconsin????

Post  Mountainman Vic on Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:29 pm

I haven't heard any reports lately other than LDS. So are you all seeing any bucks or what?

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: So what's going on in Kentucky and Wisconsin????

Post  kyhunter123 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:20 pm

Not much. Acorns everywhere. A few bucks starting to show. But nothing big (Not much of a surprise on the farm i hunt). I hopein November brings them out.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:40 pm

Slow here too. I've seen one buck from the stand since season started. The only buck I have on camera regularly is the one that use to run with my target buck.
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:46 pm

All of the big bucks shed their velvet and went nocturnal.  Bucks that were coming out at 7:30 pm a week ago aren't moving until around 10 pm now.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:07 pm

Just wanted to ask, Do  any of you think that since you have   a season that start's in  Sept and the  deer are still in velvet,   that the earlier  hunting  pressure   has them already changing pattern's? As much as I would so love to kill one in  Velvet, I just kind of like it that our season does not start until  Oct

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:15 pm

bowGal wrote:Just wanted to ask, Do  any of you think that since you have   a season that start's in  Sept and the  deer are still in velvet,   that the earlier  hunting  pressure   has them already changing pattern's? As much as I would so love to kill one in  Velvet, I just kind of like it that our season does not start until  Oct

Honestly hunting September deer is almost better than hunting the rut. If you can pin one down on a food source before he sheds his velvet, he will be there everyday at the same time until you kill him or run him off.  I think it seems like the pressure makes them change their pattern to a lot of people, but in actuality it has more to do with the rise in testosterone and the dropping of acorns. My deer for the next 3 weeks or so will be nearly unpatternable. It has a lot to do with now they have a food source right in their bedrooms. Instead of having to get up an hour before dark and hit food because their stomach is empty, they can get up at intervals during the day eat some acorns and bed back down. In the process only moving a couple yards. It also just seems like the older bucks know, its like when the velvet comes off they know deer season is in and they need to watch their step.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  wihunter24 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:55 pm

I'm with Boss, September can be as good or better than the rut if you've done your homework and have unpressured deer.  Some of the biggest bucks I've ever seen have been in September (and a couple have managed to duck my arrows).

As for the local report....  Acorns are starting to fall and the soybeans are changing colors and dropping leaves.  Opening day was the 13th and I sat over my plot of beans and brassicas- saw 14 deer with 2 being small bucks and a borderline shooter right at last light.  Didn't see much the following night.  A couple nights later, I got home from work in time to slip into a blind tucked into a corn field that borders a long skinny plot of brassicas.  It was a never ending parade of deer starting at 5:15 until dark.  It's been warm the last several days and a storm rolled in Saturday night ending my hunt early.  However I did get in on helping a buddy drag a doe out during the monsoon. Rolling Eyes  Wind was blowing like crazy last night so I went to a secluded spot out of the wind that was raining down acorns.  My bow was still on the ground when the first deer walked by.  Ended up seeing 7 bucks with 1 being a 4 yr old 8pt and 6 does.  Lots of sparring and scrape making going on last night too.  I watched the 8pt for about an hour and he's a borderline shooter as far as rack goes, but he never got closer than 50 yards.  Saw 11 does and a small 6pt tonight sitting on the edge of a corn field where it butts up to CRP, oak covered hillsides and several apple trees.

SEveral good bucks have already been taken in the area too.
wihunter24
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  DMW97 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:58 am

At my house (Normally where i hunt. I had lots of activity the first 2 weeks. Seen a few shooters, a few lil racks and lots of does.. Goin into this 3rd week i have had 200 pics of deer in 2 nights when its usually 500 a night and the last two stand sits i have seen one deer and that was right at dark last night a nice buck at 30yards but he winded me... Usually after the shed there velvet the activity wont pick up here again till the 3rd week of october. Headed out to the apple orchard this weekend to see what that camera holds and maybe do a lil huntin.
DMW97
Pope & Young
Pope & Young

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:32 pm

Boss Gobbler wrote:
bowGal wrote:Just wanted to ask, Do  any of you think that since you have   a season that start's in  Sept and the  deer are still in velvet,   that the earlier  hunting  pressure   has them already changing pattern's? As much as I would so love to kill one in  Velvet, I just kind of like it that our season does not start until  Oct

Honestly hunting September deer is almost better than hunting the rut. If you can pin one down on a food source before he sheds his velvet, he will be there everyday at the same time until you kill him or run him off.  I think it seems like the pressure makes them change their pattern to a lot of people, but in actuality it has more to do with the rise in testosterone and the dropping of acorns. My deer for the next 3 weeks or so will be nearly unpatternable. It has a lot to do with now they have a food source right in their bedrooms. Instead of having to get up an hour before dark and hit food because their stomach is empty, they can get up at intervals during the day eat some acorns and bed back down. In the process only moving a couple yards. It also just seems like the older bucks know, its like when the velvet comes off they know deer season is in and they need to watch their step.
 Good  reading  Boss,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum