Deer like to eat?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Deer like to eat?

Post  kyhunter123 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:16 pm

Other than acorns. What is some other nuts or anything that deer like to eat this time of year? I was just thinking about how many different kind of nuts and stuff I see in the woods. That maybe I didn't know deer liked. Until a couple years ago I didn't really hunt like I do now. So i learn new stuff every day lol.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Re: Deer like to eat?

Post  Willy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:21 pm

Acorns are king, unless your lucky enough to have chestnuts , they will eat pecans, hickory, etc but only as a last resort. The shells are to hard. This time of year the early dropping acorns and soft mast. Persimons, wild grapes, crab apples, pears,
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:58 pm

Jacob- I honestly do not  think  that right now -That any of Us  could really tell you what to focus  on  with  what your deer herd is favoring on  ,  Of course in our area  White oak's   and  chesnut's would be the two most   favorited nut  trees' in  the area right now, that  I would put  much focus on, That or  persimmon's if you have them in your area, Now  to be honest once again, and  over years over owning ground   of  just knowing  and talking with many  other local hunter
s   that  deer  20 miles away could be favoring something totally different  right now, as  a favored food source- verse's  any type of nut, right now or even  in the next few  upcoming weeks, from what they are doing here
 Our timber is full of hickory nut's- and I am only getting darn  squirrel's in those area's, and as far as  Red oak's  deer will  favor a burr oak over them  period!!!!!!!!! at least here
 Deer here , and that could be only because they  have so much to eat right now- be it  natural browse, added food plot's , standing crop's or  what not, Other then the    white oak's  in our area, I am getting more buck captures in  brassica  plots, hay fields, CRP area's and clover, and field  scrape  line action right now  not far from corn field area's
And never under estimated  some locust pods if you have them in  your area now or in to the late season hunting

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Willy wrote:Acorns are king, unless your lucky enough to have chestnuts , they will eat pecans, hickory, etc but only as a last resort. The shells are to hard. This time of year the early dropping acorns and soft mast. Persimons, wild grapes, crab apples, pears,
What exactly do chestnuts look like? When I Google them they look like Buckeyes (That's what we've always called them) and I see them everywhere. Only reason I ask. Is cause iv got acorns absolutely everywhere. Literally every hillside is acorns. Whites,  reds. More reds than anything but I'm still not getting many deer on camera. Maybe cause they're are so many acorns???
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:24 pm

One of the nuts that we have here and are on my KY lease that Willy didn't mention are beech nuts. There are some areas around here that don't have many acorns but are loaded with beech and black cherry. But like Willy said, White Oak is King around here. If you have them. The deer will be on them. I have noticed though over the years and I don't know if anyone else has seen it, is that does and buck differ some on there favorite food source. When I was growing up on the farm, I would notice that in early October the doe seemed to favor the alfalfa while the buck seemed to favor the corn. 

Don't forget your corn,clover,alfalfa,beans, mushrooms, maple leaves and many other types of foliage. I'd be interested to hear from Chad what those big woods Canadian deer eat.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:26 pm

kyhunter123 wrote:
Willy wrote:Acorns are king, unless your lucky enough to have chestnuts , they will eat pecans, hickory, etc but only as a last resort. The shells are to hard. This time of year the early dropping acorns and soft mast. Persimons, wild grapes, crab apples, pears,
What exactly do chestnuts look like? When I Google them they look like Buckeyes (That's what we've always called them) and I see them everywhere. Only reason I ask. Is cause iv got acorns absolutely everywhere. Literally every hillside is acorns. Whites,  reds. More reds than anything but I'm still not getting many deer on camera. Maybe cause they're are so many acorns???
Here you Jacob

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+of+chestnuts&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS487US488&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=653&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3a8gVOnhGYK1sQSnkIKQBw&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:26 pm

You'll see them go for a little variety after they get their fill of acorns.  They've been visiting the apple trees here.  A few years back I watched deer feed on freshly fallen tulip tree leaves.  They didn't just pick up one or two, they fed on them for at least an hours or so.  That's something I never noticed before.
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Mountainman Vic wrote:
kyhunter123 wrote:
Here you Jacob

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+of+chestnuts&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS487US488&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=653&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3a8gVOnhGYK1sQSnkIKQBw&ved=0CB0QsAQ
Now I know for a fact iv seen those hairy looking things somewhere. I just can't remember where!
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:21 pm

I had this oak limb fall right after I turned this camera on and left, I guess (Or I just didn't notice it while I was there) and the deer ate every single acorn that was on it. I don't need corn piles. I will just use oak tree limbs! lol

kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:40 pm

Jacob, The doe that I killed down there the other week was munching on the maple leaves from the branches I had cut the day before when hanging the stand. It's not a bad bate pile. lol.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:20 am

I have read several responses that mention tree leaves. Absolutely. Especially this time of year. As the trees start to get ready for winter the leaves start loading up on sugars, that's what turn them colors and cause them to fall. The leaves stay green for a while after the process starts. And low hanging leaves off certain kinds of trees are like candy.  Here its the softer wood trees, the locust, Osage, and what I call a Catawba tree. The one hardwood tree that the love here is Mulberry. Most if not all of the leaves hanging low enough for the deer to reach are already gone on those usually by the middle of September.  I trimmed some osage limbs from around one of my stands last weekend and the deer were on the branches that afternoon.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:18 pm

Now what are these?? 
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:11 am

Buckeye"s,- and they are suppose to bring you good luck,  cheers We always kept one in our hunting bag.

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:13 am

kyhunter123 wrote:Now what are these?? 

I believe that is a type of chestnut. I saw them in the link I posted.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:20 am

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTcdJomiJUOBkA3mgPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBsOXB2YTRjBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yhs-att-att_001&va=buckeye+tree+nuts&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top