Has anyone tried this?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Has anyone tried this?

Post  Boss Gobbler on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Has anyone ever purposely put pressure on an area of your farm to move deer to another area where they are easier to hunt?  I have done the whole start out hunting the fringes and working your way in thing. Im talking about putting pressure on them to move them out of an area. Here is what I am thinking, after finding the fence line treestand within 100 yards of  part of the sanctuary. I am thinking about putting massive pressure in that area to move them deeper in. In my mind it will accomplish 2 things, 1 it will keep some a$$ from shooting deer over the fence, and 2 it could move them into an area where I can hunt them easier.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone tried this?

Post  bowGal on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:48 pm

All I have time to say right now is that yes when I find fence line hunter's- I  will kindly do everything  I can- even give up my own hunt's to mess up  their's- Bad thing is  Boss I am outside every day and  in  area's deer are also and to be honest   no matter what you do some deer just do not change their travel pattern, the time they move might  change a little, Knock on wood  we do not have a of bowhunting  pressure  by our neighbors, it is gun season that kills us and  at that time    we honestly stay off the entire property  so we do not   push anything off - let alone get shot Crying or Very sad

Last edited by bowGal on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  BuckslayerNY13 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:49 pm

Be carful!!! I have done that but also it has back fired to! Where they will move but over to an area where I can't hunt. It works but it could
Back fire. If u r pressuring them on the out side of there territory and pushing them in to where they spend most of there time I would work but if u don't know or r pressuring them from the inside of there teriotory you could push them to the next county
BuckslayerNY13
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:47 pm

I'm in an area where I have pretty much everything to my self until gun season. And yes I know the neighbors shoot deer on own side because all of there stands are within 70-80 yards of the fence or creeks around here and are facing toward us. The deer hear my fourwheeler atleast once a week if not more. And the way the farm I hunt is layed out. Trying to push the deer to once spot is like impossible. They've got so many places to go. And I'm surrounded by fence hunters.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Here is the area of the farm im talking about. The orange outline is my property, the yellow is a neighbor that doesnt allow hunting, the blue is a neighbor who died in the spring and the farm is just sitting. The red dot is a treestand and feeder facing my property. I put up new fence there last week to redirect the deer a little. The problem is it is a natural funnel with the way the land lays and the fence line, it funnels perfectly to the corner of that field. I use to have access back there through a neighboring farm, but he passed a few years ago and his son in law took over. That is the only reason I dont hunt it a lot. Im thinking if I put alot of pressure in that same corner it will a least wise the deer up and there isnt any real danger of pushing them off the farm. They would have to go a mile or more in most directions to leave the farm.

Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:17 pm

What I do is stay focused on what hunting tactics are best for me and not waste my time trying to scheme up a way to cut the neighbor off.  Sure I'd make that fence more difficult for the deer to get through in front of the feeder and maybe put up a cam around there to see what activity is going on.  But when it comes to me getting in the stand I don't like to burn up time hunting where MY odds are low.
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:07 pm

Honestly if he was 40 yards off the fence I wouldnt care, hell if the stand was in the same spot facing that property I wouldnt care. Its the fact that it is 10 feet off the fence line facing in a direction that the only place he can shoot is over the fence or to the field edge, which is also mine. The fact that he even cut shooting lanes on my property is the icing on the cake. Hunting back there wouldnt be a waste this is where my off limits block is, some of the biggest deer on the farm are there. My guess is the person hunting there knows whats there.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueID_LDS on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:16 pm

Boss Gobbler wrote:Honestly if he was 40 yards off the fence I wouldnt care, hell if the stand was in the same spot facing that property I wouldnt care. Its the fact that it is 10 feet off the fence line facing in a direction that the only place he can shoot is over the fence or to the field edge, which is also mine. The fact that he even cut shooting lanes on my property is the icing on the cake. Hunting back there wouldnt be a waste this is where my off limits block is, some of the biggest deer on the farm are there. My guess is the person hunting there knows whats there.
I hate to hear this Boss! Best of luck whatever you decide. If it were me, I'd pressure them just to ruin the guys hunting! Can't believe he put a stand that close but I have neighbor that sets up his blind every year by our fence off of  the thickest bedding area on our property. I have a stand 40 yards from there!
BlueID_LDS
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:10 pm

Well if they cut shooting lanes on you then it's time to have a talk.  I'd make sure they know how you feel.
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:01 pm

ridgerunner wrote:Well if they cut shooting lanes on you then it's time to have a talk.  I'd make sure they know how you feel.
X's 2  Boss,   this hunter sound's just like the one we had to deal with our first year here, He was walking our property to get to his stand that  was on the fence and the base of his stand  was actually on our side of the fence. and when I asked him what he would do if he saw a shooter buck in our field- he replied  he would shoot it,
 I asked him  nicely to back off the fence at least  20 yard he  refused, so  it got ugly after that, but  it did not take long of me being back there walking my fence line  everyday  during his hunt's  that he finally   just totally up and left Wink 
 I  so hate what today's hunting has turned into, we never had to deal with  this  crap  15 year's  ago  when  fellow neighboring hunters  and land owner's respected one another, Then the big time outfitting started  they  put stand's and hunter's at every surrounding fence line.
 I do not know if you every remember reading  a post  by  Chuck  Paddock year's ago on the old site-  Drop some  tree's  in the normal travel flow,  I know that work's  we see it here just  when  a tree fall's on the logging road or  anywhere that is a natural travel   area Wink
 Learned along time ago  being mister nice guy  will get you no where when dealing  with someone like your neighbor

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:44 pm

Yes I have pressured deer to go to another spot. It has worked but it has also backfired. By the house I can get them to go to certain spots simply because there isn't all that much area. But the old farm we hunted, too much pressure and they were gone.
Now about the fenceline hunters. There really isn't a thing you can do about them having a stand next to a fenceline. If its on their property , well its on their property. That's all good and legal. If a deer goes onto their property so be it, nobody owns the deer to begin with. I don't care how much time, effort or money you put into a deer , if its wild none of us can say that's " my deer " . The part that sucks is you know damn well most of these hunters are not shooting just on their side of the fence and that's wrong !!! BUT there are things you can do !! If its not an area you hunt close to or don't mind ruining that spot , nothing beats a good old bottle of Old Spice !!!  Its cheap and easy to spread around the stand site Very Happy !!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:06 pm

Boss, I've never tried to pressure deer. I can't think it would do you any favors. As for the guy on the fence line. If he's on his side of the fence, I'd just let it go. I'd still keep as best of an eye on whats going on as I can but life is too damn short to let the jealousy of someone shooting a deer mess up your day. I personally like to hunt fence lines and don't think twice about it. I stay on my side of the fence and I shoot on my side only. Fence lines are one of the first places I look because they can create some fantastic funnels. I don't often agree with Rick but mark it on the calendar. Deer are wild and we don't own them. If someone is going out of there way to screw up another hunters hunt who is 100% in the right, then they are the one with the messed up morals.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:18 pm

I agree and once those 4 hooves touch the ground on his side of the fence, he is good to go, game on, that's life. Deer are wild and no matter what you do they will roam.  I have absolutely no problem with that. I lose deer like that every year, always have and always will.  Im not trying to sound like the deer belong to me, but the land does. If i get a call saying someone shot a deer and its on my property, first thing im going to say is show me where he crossed. If i can tell the deer was shot on that side and crossed over, I will shake his hand, pat his back and help him drag the damn thing out. Im not expecting it to go down like that though. With that setup I'm expecting to hear a shot about 20 minutes before dark and go back there the next day to find a gut pile with some bucknuts about 50 yards deep on my side with some drag marks. Like I said his only shot isn't on his side of the fence. I would also bet that whole farm that if a 160 walks through there it wouldn't matter if it was 100 yards deep on my side  it will get shot.  I will respectfully disagree with you on the morals issue. There use to be an unspoken code of respect between hunters and not sitting on a fence line was one of them. For me fence line hunting creates a whole  list of issues I wouldn't want to deal with.  You could have people traveling the neighboring property screwing up your hunt. You have the temptation of seeing a big buck on the wrong side of the fence. What happens when you shoot a deer, they run , now there is a much greater chance that deer will die on the neighbors property. Now if you follow the rules you have to hunt down the property owner to get permission to get your deer. I would rather find that funnel or fence crossing,  trace it back 50-100 yards, to where I can no longer see the fence and set up there. There is a reason for the saying" The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence".

Last edited by Boss Gobbler on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:19 pm

I'm with Boss on this one. If the setup is as he has described it, I would be angry. Intentionally hang right on the line then cut a lane onto the neighbors property?  Not cool in my opinion. I would probably take an old bulky tv antenna and lockon and hang it as close as possible right in his shooting lane just to make a point. Wouldn't ever plan on sitting in it. I would think that would get your point across.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  BuckRubIL on Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:58 am

It's safe to say if he is cutting shooting lanes on your side, he'll shoot on your side too.  I'd put up a stand right on your side, just to let him know your in the area.  This alone may be enough to deter him to retreat a little... nobody wants to hunt a stand knowing somebody could show up and be so close to them.
BuckRubIL
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:33 am

Get a bunch of that crime scene yellow tape stuff and go from tree to tree and cover his shooting lanes back up haha Smile
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:14 am

I agree with a bunch of the other comments, its definitely risky as deer are unpredictable and it is hard to say for sure where they will go!  We tried this a few years ago and the buck moved 4 miles!  We didn't find him until almost a year later. Good luck!

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum