Weekend hunting!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Weekend hunting!

Post  TheCReW on Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:38 pm

We finally have a whole weekend where we can do nothing but hunt, and it is primetime. Our trail cams have been dead, checked 28 cams this week over 2000 sq miles and hardly anything over 150, 100's of nice 2 year olds but 3yo+ deer are rare. The one nice 5x5 is still coming in pretty regularly though so Lindsay is going to sit fo him a few times.

This is the last weekend for rifle elk season and I hope we will get out for them a bit. We had an amazing archery season and couple weeks when the season was closed, but from Mid-September till now has been a nightmare with so many out of province unlicensed night hunters up, they have killed a few good bulls, mostly at night, and driven all the others way back into the thick timber, miles from any access. We'll get in there, but you can be 20 yards from the big bulls this time of year and never see them!  A few pics Lindsay captured from mid-Sept when the season was closed, luckily these areas are closed even to the unlicensed hunters.

This bull put on a great show for us one morning herding his cows and bugling every minute or so, cold morning so his breath was cool to see as he ran around

And then we saw him a few days later and he looked so rough and grumpy, and he lost all his cows. Looked like he got a real beating, wish we could have found the bull who laid the licken on him. His ear was hanging down limp, eye and face were badly swollen and was limping badly. 

Archery mule deer is also open 2 hours south of us, but I dont think we'll make it there. And Archery moose season is open half hour north of us, and I want to spend at least one day up there, as it is primetime for the moose rut!
Oh yeah, and archery bear season is open, so if we catch a bear out in the oats well try a spot and stalk hunt on him.

Hopefully have some pics to share next week, although I wouldnt bet on it. All public land hunts so the success rate is pretty low on any given day, but we will have some fun regardless.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Weekend hunting!

Post  soil on Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:11 pm

those elk pictures are absolutely stellar!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:31 pm

soil wrote:those elk pictures are absolutely stellar!
x's 2- Tell Lindsay  outstanding capture's!! I am going to print them out and frame them  for  my living room Wink   to tease Larry with Laughing

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Those elk pictures are just awesome !!! I agree, an elk or deer on a nice cold morning look simply amazing when you can see their breathe coming out !! I had the pleasure of seeing this last year during bear season, a nice 6x6 standing right in the middle of Sinnemahoning creek while the snow was falling !!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Maniac Outdoors on Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:25 am

Post card quality pics for sure  cheers
Maniac Outdoors
Admin
Admin

http://usahuntingpros.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:09 pm

TheCReW wrote:
Archery mule deer is also open 2 hours south of us, but I dont think we'll make it there. And Archery moose season is open half hour north of us, and I want to spend at least one day up there, as it is primetime for the moose rut!
Oh yeah, and archery bear season is open, 
You really know how to hurt a guy when there isn't a single big game species open to hunting in their home state. Don't you? The way things are going in this country, I just might have to pack the truck and move north of the border.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:32 am

Beautiful pictures! The moose rut sure is rocking! Get on it.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:40 am

That guy is a majestic looking bull, if there is one that can kick his butt...I'd like to see him!  Come to think of it, there were a few mornings in my youth that I looked like that...I recall it was worth it! Good hunting!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum