Any of you get North American Whitetail Magazine????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Any of you get North American Whitetail Magazine????

Post  bowGal on Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:58 pm

Wandering  if any of you have read the  article in the   New issue by Mark Kenyen???On his write up about holding off on  hunting  mature buck's  during morning hunt's in early  Oct?,
 It sure is getting a lot of positive feedback,  I hope to  get the  issue this week as  I have not read it, but   from what I am reading  - I am starting to agree, I know one of the hardest things for us in the mornings is just getting out of  the yard area to get to any stand's with all the deer we have to  bust on the way out,  I have always favored  afternoon hunting in the early season  period until at least  3rd week of  Oct here,
 I really am not sure how hard I am going  start this year off- just yet with morning hunt's, I have my heart set on getting on  brutus  on morning hunts right now where he is, but  I also know  I am going to have to  put in a lot of  mile to get to where he is at day light from  were he is  at  5:30 am working scrapes,  Crying or Very sad

So how hard are you guy's actually hunting the  first few weeks of your season?

Last edited by bowGal on Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Any of you get North American Whitetail Magazine????

Post  Willy on Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:19 pm

Haven't read it, but if he is saying , stay out of a big deer's area in the morning during early season, then I totally agree.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  wihunter24 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:32 pm

I don't get the magazine and haven't seen / read the article.  For the most part I agree.  However, I'm of the opinion that if you've done your homework and you've got a big deer consistently showing up in the mornings, then whats the ponit of waiting?  No different than patterning a deer for an evening hunt.  One of my best friends shot the biggest buck of his life, a mid 170's 9pt, at 7:20 AM on September 19th a couple years back.  Sure more big ones are taken in the evenings early in the year, but it's possible to do it in the mornings.   You've just got to have the right deer, with the right pattern and the right set up.

I've sat out a couple mornings so far this year.  The locations I've selected have all been based on what I've been seeing on my cameras in that area or observation from afar.  I've had plenty of deer close, including a couple decent bucks, but just not the right one yet.
wihunter24
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:28 pm

I never bow hunt my farm of a morning.  There are to many unknowns for me. For example, I may know where a buck beds, what trail he uses to exit his bed of an evening, and what trail he uses of a morning to return,  but where he is when I'm entering the woods an hour before daylight is up in the air.  I have ran into so many deer in the mornings that it's not worth it. My deer can be in the fields either bedded or feeding or roaming the woods. My deer have a tendency to bed in the open fields and then right before or around daylight they move to their bed for the day. It seems that the cover of darkness gives them the security to feel so safe that they roam and end up in places where you don't expect them. The only mornings I hunt are when some type of firearms season is open, that way I have the range to back out far enough where I won't bump them by trying to get deep in the woods.  It seems to work out great, that being said 2 of my biggest bucks were killed in the morning.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:03 pm

I don't hunt bucks in the mornings of the first few weeks of October. Obviously if one comes by that I'm after, I'll shoot it but I don't set up for them. I buy into Don Higgins theories on the matter. It's a very rare occurrence that a mature buck comes back to bed of a morning with conditions right for you to kill him at this time of year.  Once they start staying out later checking for does is when I try morning setups for buck hunting.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:41 pm

I haven't seen it but what ever happened to the "pro's" saying its easier to kill a big buck when they are pretty much still in their feeding habits and not roaming all over the woods looking for a hot doe ?? Whether its at sunrise or sunset , a feeding pattern is still a feeding pattern. Just like everything else , different places mean different ways of hunting. Every buck I killed at our cabin in Jefferson county was taken between 9:45 and 10:30 a.m. when they were heading back to their bedding area. We even called it 10 o'clock hollow , because that was the main time to be on the look out. Here by the house I haven't killed a deer before 3:30 p.m. ! Out at my hunting partners place its been about 50/50 between a.m. and p.m. !! I have absolutely zero against any writer , but I would rather go with what I know , from scouting , trailcam pics etc.. over going with what was written. Plus most writers are talking about Midwest deer and not farmland deer of Pa. or the big woods like up in Vics area . If it means killing a buck the 1st day , in the morning , that's what I will do. Plus like the old saying goes, you can't kill 'em from the couch Very Happy !! Its hunting season and I'm on stand each chance I can.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:04 am

I haven't read that magazine in years. I agree and disagree with the statement. I do believe if your hunting in September or very early October where you have a buck patterned and he is hitting like clock work every night. Going in on the first morning to a location where you "THINK" he's going is just plain foolish. But hunting big woods deer on public land, where they are much harder to pattern, mornings can be your best bet if you've done your homework. As well, where I hunt in southern PA. The deer start to see hunting pressure before the season ever starts. Most people who have any sort of private land to hunt are either sharing it with someone else or they can darn near shoot to all four sides of the property at one time and everyone has been out scouting since August hanging stands or what not. 

My bet on your place Barb, is that if you stayed 100% out of your timber, and didn't hang any stands or put out any camera's other than your food plots and yard, and pass on the first morning. Slipping in at noon on opening day and hanging a stand where you've been seeing your best bucks would likely put your tag on your best bucks regularly.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  G3 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:29 pm

I havent read the story either, how ever until the last 4 or 5 days of october I dont go in to any stand areas in the morning darkness. I will start hunting Wednesday (Oct 1st)about 10 am and hunt the rest of the day. My trail cams are showing me consistent movement from 11 am throughout the rest of the day for the most part. The best times for decent bucks seems to be 11am-3:30pm and then 6:30pm-7:30pm right now.
G3
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:12 pm

soil wrote:I don't hunt bucks in the mornings of the first few weeks of October. Obviously if one comes by that I'm after, I'll shoot it but I don't set up for them. I buy into Don Higgins theories on the matter. It's a very rare occurrence that a mature buck comes back to bed of a morning with conditions right for you to kill him at this time of year.  Once they start staying out later checking for does is when I try morning setups for buck hunting.
 Josh funny you Mention Don,  as  he was also mentioned in the article, I am pretty sure this is the article link below, all though it is dated last year,
http://wiredtohunt.com/2013/06/18/reducing-pressure-on-whitetails-by-giving-up-october-mornings/

I am so wanting to hunt  saturday morning with the major cool down on the way for us,
 I just got in from checking  camera's and on a good  note Brutus is getting closer to home now Wink Between all our work and the lease owner cutting a bailing  this past week,  it has really slowed the deer movement down on all the camera's.  So honestly I  do not know if I should just  give  both farm's a total rest  this first week of season, My lease owner just now started bailing on the north side and has not  got the south side cut yet and not sure he will now with  2 days of rains moving in.

Great replies  guy's,   Thank's

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  impactarcher on Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:03 pm

Yes I agree with that!  I never hunt mornings until late October.

impactarcher
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Godfather on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:23 am

I agree with most of the article to a point, but I don't always have a lot of stand time as it is. So I pretty much will hunt when I can. I always just use caution when going in on a morning hunt, especially in the early season. I have also had some success going in really early, trying to be in the stand at least an hour before daybreak.
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:47 pm

I think generally he is right on, but every situation/setup/buck is different. I don't think I would want to make a commitment to never do it, depends on so many factors, good theory but would not make it a rule! If I think I can kill him in early season morning, its gonna happen.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum