Did I mention (Updated with pics and story)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Did I mention (Updated with pics and story)

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:38 pm

I heard a rumor of a giant buck that was killed here locally last year? I met the guy at a church function this past weekend and got his story. He has invited me up to see the deer, which I will do one of these weeks when I'm up that way. He and another guy are telling me that this buck unofficially scores 205. I'll be taking a camera and hope to get some pics that I can share. Now I will say that 200 inch deer in the mountains of PA are unheard of, but this area seems to have been putting out some giants lately. The reason I'm guessing is because this area has had a number of deer farms in the past and while there aren't any reports of deer escaping the pens. It has happened in the past and is believed that these bucks have been spreading some fantastic genes in the area.

Last edited by Mountainman Vic on Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Did I mention (Updated with pics and story)

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:03 pm

That's a BS story Vic !! We only have spike bucks in Pa., remember Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!! Now get up there and take some pics !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  buckeyehunter on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:04 pm

Can't wait to see pics of that bruiser!!

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:24 am

"
 />Hi Vic, 
do you mean this one?  I talked with Mike last weekend and got the story of the hunt.  Neat story, the buck trailed a doe in close to him and it happened fast so he did not realize how gigantic the buck was until he walked up on it!  It hurt just a little to learn he got it in an area that I hunted for years...buts that's the game, good for him!  Nice guy, totally wild buck.  I have a pic of the mount somewhere if I can find it!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:24 am

No Chuck, That isn't the one. This buck was killed by a guy who lives locally here. He told me that he saw the buck one time last October cross the road near his home. When the buck came in he made a bad shot and couldn't find the deer. He hunted for it for most of the season and the one day on his way out to hunt he saw something that didn't look right from his front porch. Here he was looking at the beam of the buck laying on the hillside. I'm still quite skeptical on the score.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  BBinPA on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:21 pm

Can't wait to see it Vic. I will say one thing the PA mountains have going for it is age structure. We get multiple 4+ year old bucks every year on the trail cams at camp.
BBinPA
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:59 pm

I'm interested to see it.  If no picture then at lease if it looks like it's that many inch's.
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:15 pm

I personally believe a world class deer can show up anywhere. If the right deer reaches the right age anything can happen anywhere. Keep us updated.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:15 pm

Well, tonight Holly and I stopped in to visit the couple that we met a few weeks ago at a pig roast that our church was having. The guys name is Dave and he had told me about the buck that he killed last gun season here in our county. I had heard rumors of it and he was telling me that someone had scored it at 205. Which is very rare in PA but unheard of in this area. So tonight I got to see it for myself. While I don't know if it scores 205 for sure. It is a lot bigger than my 170 class buck I killed the other year. 
So here's the story he told me. He had seen this buck one time in October run across the road in front of his truck onto his 350 acre track. On the second Tuesday of our gun season, he was still hunting when he found the buck bedded about 150 yards away. He shot the buck and it jumped up and took off. He said he had great blood but it soon turned to drops and then nothing and he got in with other deer and he lost the track. He spent the rest of the week searching for the buck and couldn't find it. The on his way out on the last day of the season he was walking down his driveway and looked up on the hill and saw the antler sticking up from behind a log. Amazing luck to not only come across such and awesome animal but then to have it die within sight of your driveway. 

Here are some pics of it which just don't do it justice

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:44 pm

Yep , he is big !!! You should have stood next to it for a pic. I have no doubt we are growing some huge bucks here. I hear it more every year that so and so quit going up to the big woods for deer because they see so few , if any during gun season. As long as guys quit going that gives the good bucks more of a chance to grow into something special , just like this one !!! Kinda sucks he couldn't find it until the meat went bad but at least he found it and has the mount to show. Plus it was very nice to invite you two up to enjoy the buck !! And thanks for letting us see it also .
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:34 am

Wow, he's a beautiful buck!  Hard to believe from PA but like Rick said...Hunter numbers are down which allows bucks to mature more than they used to.  I just saw where PA licensed hunters were in the 700,000 range, remember years where it used to be over a million?
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:40 am

Stud!!

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:38 pm

That is one beautiful  buck, Thanks for sharing  him

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum