Do you ever....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you ever....

Post  kyhunter123 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:32 pm

Get to the point of your getting so few pictures on your cameras you just don't want to hunt a farm at all? Cause I'm getting real close to that point. I am clueless right now. The farm looks so good. The way its layed out looks good. But no decent deer. Im talking nothing even over 100 inches. Im in a decent part of KY. My county produces some good deer every year. But it seems like just my place holds nothing. Im sure every guy within 20 miles shooting everything that walks by and not even having tags for them but don't care is not helping anything either. So Frustrating! Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Re: Do you ever....

Post  bowGal on Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:43 pm

Jacob,it is way to early to be getting frustrated Wink  and by all mean's if your saying you think you have poacher's in the area, contact the  DNR   and see if they can get a  CPO to patrol that area more, My cameras shut down for a fews  deer  are held up on the  lease right now more so then here , they are working their way back over now with all the corn coming out and working scrapes line's-. Keep your doe's feeling secure and the buck's will come Wink

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:09 pm

Jacob, This is a tough time of year for spotting the big boys. And if you've been on you property too much they are going to stay away. I promise you that those deer can smell your scent on those cams and they learn to avoid them. If you have does on the place don't loose hope. The big bucks will be there when the things start to heat up.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:12 pm

bowGal wrote:Jacob,it is way to early to be getting frustrated Wink  and by all mean's if your saying you think you have poacher's in the area, contact the  DNR   and see if they can get a  CPO to patrol that area more, My cameras shut down for a fews  deer  are held up on the  lease right now more so then here , they are working their way back over now with all the corn coming out and working scrapes line's-. Keep your doe's feeling secure and the buck's will come Wink
I'm not positive that there are poachers. It's just my county is like known for people shooting wayyyy to many deer. And iv heard a few of those bolt action muzzleloaders in ML Season also. It's just frustrating that I know there should be some good deer there. But I just cannot find out where.
And Vic. Yeah ik the deer can easily avoid my cameras. (I'm running 3 on almost 400 acres). I do have plenty of does. So that's why I keep telling people I guess I'm gonna have to bank on the rut. Cause after gun season. Getting a deer in daylight is like finding a diamond.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:07 pm

If it makes you feel any better I went from 1200 pics a week to around 500-600. I have not put any pressure on these deer at all yet. Like Vic said, its just a tough time of year. Plenty of food on the ground and the big bucks are probably at their highest level of alert that they will be all year. Think about it all summer they have the need to feed with next to no pressure. November they throw caution to the wind to breed, December they go back into a feeding pattern and eat as much as possible to get ready for winter. So of those three months September they are very visible on food, November they are visible because they are up looking for does, and December the can be very visible on food again. ( especially with a big front approaching or after a good snow) So what happens to them in October? Well the season opens, so they are seeing, smelling and getting bumped by hunters in the woods. The acorns are falling so they really dont have to leave the bedding area to get food. They are nice and fat so they can fight the urge to hit feed or feed fields until after dark.  I personally think that there is something in an older deer that once the velvet comes off he knows its time to watch his step. Just about every deer I have ever had that was over 4, will to some point be nocturnal in the first 3 weeks of October.  Plus all of those bachelor groups of bucks are no longer tolerating each other, so that group of 5 or 6 bucks you saw all summer are now avoiding each other. Some of them may have even moved off to another farm. I know we just assume the worst when we stop seeing certain deer, but just think a month from now you will be seeing deer that you have never laid eyes on before. Wink
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Boss Gobbler wrote:If it makes you feel any better I went from 1200 pics a week to around 500-600. I have not put any pressure on these deer at all yet. Like Vic said, its just a tough time of year. Plenty of food on the ground and the big bucks are probably at their highest level of alert that they will be all year. Think about it all summer they have the need to feed with next to no pressure. November they throw caution to the wind to breed, December they go back into a feeding pattern and eat as much as possible to get ready for winter. So of those three months September they are very visible on food, November they are visible because they are up looking for does, and December the can be very visible on food again. ( especially with a big front approaching or after a good snow) So what happens to them in October? Well the season opens, so they are seeing, smelling and getting bumped by hunters in the woods. The acorns are falling so they really dont have to leave the bedding area to get food. They are nice and fat so they can fight the urge to hit feed or feed fields until after dark.  I personally think that there is something in an older deer that once the velvet comes off he knows its time to watch his step. Just about every deer I have ever had that was over 4, will to some point be nocturnal in the first 3 weeks of October.  Plus all of those bachelor groups of bucks are no longer tolerating each other, so that group of 5 or 6 bucks you saw all summer are now avoiding each other. Some of them may have even moved off to another farm. I know we just assume the worst when we stop seeing certain deer, but just think a month from now you will be seeing deer that you have never laid eyes on before. Wink
Yeah. I was thinkin just the food had them not going far. But this time last year was when I actually started getting more pictures. So idk. These deer are the weirdest deer I have ever seen. They never bed in the same general area. I will see them a mile away from where I seen them a day before (Even in september). Only thing they hear is a fourwheeler. And most of these deer have heard it there whole life. I sure hope we get a frost saturday. I'm ready for the woods to thin out!
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:33 am

You guys sure know how to make a hunter feel better...I love this place!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum