Mature deer in October?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mature deer in October?

Post  Boss Gobbler on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Jacob's post got me thinking. Have any of you taken a mature deer in the first 3 weeks of October. I know that I have only taken 2 bucks in the entire month of October neither was over 3 1/2.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Re: Mature deer in October?

Post  Mountainman Vic on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:48 pm

I have. I shot a 4.5 year old 10pnt in 2006 on October 7th and I should have killed what would have been my best PA buck on a couple of years ago on a 5 or 6 year old that jumped the string and I never found him. Sad I've also had a few other encounters with some mature bucks during early to mid October. And to add to it, Most of those hunts where morning hunts.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:10 pm

I have never had a mature buck in bow range during the first few weeks of October. I've got a buddy who consistently sees mature deer the first two weeks of season.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:30 pm

I so hope more member's reply to this post Boss,!!!!!!! Great topic to  bring up right now.
  seem's like  talking whitetail is a thing from the past around here lately Crying or Very sad

as  for  us  Oct  6-8th   and  Oct  26th -  30th have  been the only  date's  either  of us every tagged out, this early in  a season=- on   a buck  in  the 4 year old range,  Could we  tagged a few other's , yes by all means if we would of been in  different set up's  during a few of these hunt's in the first week of season, that and the fact that , that we made   a call early on that  we so wanted a few  4 year's old's to go another year.
As far as our  Nov hunting goes- the   5th- the  15th of the month were our best hunt's, Gun season kick's in  right   after that and    yes  we  could of killed out a few time's in late  Dec, with the bow , but  honestly  We just  had to much respect  for all the Mature  deer around here   that were blessed to even  be able to  make it through a gun season,
Wink

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:44 pm

I have not killed to many bucks. The one I killed last year was the 28th of September. My dad's been huntin since he was 17 and he's 41 or 42. So I'm sure he's killed some in Oct. But I don't think many. Most being in early Sept. Or November From what I hear.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:56 pm

rarely hunt during early October, its just to risky for me. If I do its usually an evening hunt and right on a food source.  its usually that first week of November or later in December for me
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  wihunter24 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:09 pm

Love, love, love early October!!! cheers  Between me and 2 friends we've taken a 173", 168", 140" and 172" since 2009 all between October 3 and 7th.  3 of the 4 have either been near a food source (corn) or in a transition area raining down acorns between bedding and food.  The 140" was near a secluded water hole out of the wind as a cold front moved in, yet the water was still 1/2 way between bedding and a big corn field.  Around here soybeans are starting to get combined this time of the year and oaks are raining down acrons.  It seems like it's just a transitional time period for deer and everything in general.  Just paying attention to details and not pressuring deer has put me and my friends in position to shoot a few nice deer the last couple years.  Oh yeah, and last night I smoked a 14pt (probably a 3 yr old, but I'm happy) in secluded bean / brassica plot after rain rolled through and a cold front was moving in cheers
wihunter24
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:14 pm

I think the only buck I've killed in October was a 6 point I killed during the youth weekend so it had to be 6 or 7 years ago. He was pretty nice for a 6 but just a two year old.
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  lungbuster on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:08 am

Only mature buck I have killed in October was Halloween morning, 2011.
lungbuster
12 Point
12 Point

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:40 am

I killed one of my best archery bucks the first week of October.  The season didn't start out well as I missed him on the first day.  A week later he gave me a second chance and I didn't mess that one up.  We watched that buck all summer.  I think that's the ticket for early season, if you're watching a good one and can get on it before their habits chance you can get it done.  Sometimes you can find them batchler grouped early on, when I killed him there 5 other bucks already in the plot.

I killed another good one 3rd week of Oct but the neighbor kids drove it right to me.
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  nyhunter20 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:19 am

I have killed two of my best bucks in October. One was a morning on the 20th and the other an afternoon on the 15th. Both were travel corridors between need and food. Have had luck seeing good bucks add well just not in bow range. I hold off on my best farms till November which might add to it. We do mainly doe harvests on our small parcels this time of year.
nyhunter20
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  bow_dad on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:48 pm

I've been fortunate enough to take three mature bucks in October.  Two were on Halloween afternoons,  the only one that was in early October was on a morning that a extremely cold snap came through and I just had a gut feeling I needed to be out there.
bow_dad
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  G3 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:04 pm

2 years ago I killed an 8 1/2 yr old on October 21st. 3 yrs ago I shot a 3 1/2 yr old on October 2nd. Those are the only "mature" deer I have killed before October 26th
G3
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  booner40 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:56 pm

The evening of October 22nd for this one.
booner40
Pope & Young
Pope & Young

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:20 am

I have only killed one, a 150 class 3yo in mid-October. It is usually really a quiet time for mature bucks movement in our are, the calm before the storm. Although another big factor is that it is just so hard to tag out in October knowing November is coming and you never know what may show up.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  VABuckSlayer on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:23 pm

I killed the best buck on my property on opening day (1st Sat of Oct) a few years ago. He was either 3.5 or a 4.5 yo 8pt. He came out of a thick cutover onto an oak ridge and hit a scrape just before I shot him. That is the only one for me in Oct. Have had a couple other close encounters but no kills.
VABuckSlayer
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum