What do you know about pawpaws????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do you know about pawpaws????

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:41 pm

I've known for years that they are an edible fruit and have tried them but never was crazy about them. A few weeks ago I picked a few and Holly made a pie with them that was pretty good. There are quite a few of them where on our family farm but I never see much sign of the deer eating them. Does anyone know if deer like them? I'd find it hard to believe that they wouldn't as sweet as they are, but then again, I've never seen where deer are hammering peaches.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about pawpaws????

Post  Willy on Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:47 pm

its one of those trees where the deer wont eat the leaves or the twigs or bark of . They eat the fruit off the ground but because they dont care for the trees they dont seek the fruit out like they do other soft mast. 
I read somewhere where they used paw paw mulch as a deer deterant
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:30 pm

We had a ton of  Paw Paw's on the pike farm , we named the area Paw Paw hollar, one of our favorite places to  hunt, Deer down there  loved them and  yes the deer  do eat the leave's  at least here in  Il, Wink    Actually   we have a few tree's up here also and   the deer eat on the leave's, We could hardly ever find any fruit because the deer ate  it so fast, I did    pick up a few this  year    on the south lease,,
 Vic  I do not know if you  Remember Paul  Lambley  from the  Old  Kisky site, his area in  southern Il was  loaded with them, 
 Our tree's around here are done producing and just like the persimmions  our deer quite feeding on them  end of sept to  first  week  oct.

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:48 pm

I have a few on the farm and my experience with them are similar to Willy's. I always heard that the tree contains  a natural chemical that is a very effective insect repellent.  I always heard that is why deer shy away from them.  As far as the fruit, the trees on my farm seem to produce 2 completely different fruit. I have one tree that nothing will eat the fruit. It's looks exactly the same but it has a strange smell to it, most of the other trees fruit has a melon type sweeter smell. So it may even come down to the individual tree and it's fruit.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum