Mock Scrapes.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mock Scrapes.

Post  kyhunter123 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:12 am

How do you all make them? Or what do you put in them? Iv been wanting to make one but I never have so I don't wanna do it wrong.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Re: Mock Scrapes.

Post  soil on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:43 am

I went around the edge of one of our big fields about a month ago and intentionally trimmed back most of the low hanging limbs. I left them in 3 spots where the bucks scrape every year anyway. I also went in last Friday and used zip ties to attach cedar limbs to higher limbs in a manner which let's the cedar limb hang low enough to be used as a licking branch. I just use my boot and clear the ground down to dirt under these branches. I never put any scent in them. I also saw a little buzz on another forum about using grape vines rather than tree limbs as the licking branch, so I put one up like that as well.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:20 pm

kyhunter123 wrote:How do you all make them? Or what do you put in them? Iv been wanting to make one but I never have so I don't wanna do it wrong.
 We have never  made  mock scrape's, never felt the need to-as   the deer  make enough around here that  I can not keep up with running camera's on all of them Wink
Jacob I  have to ask, because I did see you posted some recent  photo's of  bucks working licking branches- did you not find any  natural scrapes under those  limb's???????
 Lungbuster posted some photo's I   just saw- of  his results from making a  mock scrape, maybe he can  go into detail  on how he made his if you  ask him,
 Right now  I am getting just as many doe's working our scrape line's as buck's,
 And I admit  I actually freshened one up today with my  own personal urine  sample Laughing
 I personally never really try to add any thing as far added  scent lure's to natural  scrape line area's as far as  Marketed product's, Been there- done that ,  Other then  using  a  few  Wildlife  Research Product's and my most favorite  Real Scent  brand's our deer here  and even on the old farm would freak out over adding anything other then    our own personal  urine sample Wink . Saw someone  said they cut the lower hanging  branches when making a mock scrape- personally  those are the branches that get worked around here the best,not sure I  understand that logic  in creating  mock scrape's, that statement  kind of confused me, But of  course I do know and understand we all hunt  different animals

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:07 pm

Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lungbuster on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:16 pm

The way I do it is pretty simple. Take a gardening hoe or a stick and clear all the vegetation underneath overhanging branches, until you have a circle of bare dirt about 3 ft in diameter.  I then break one of the over hanging branches and let it hang over the scrape, so that it looks like another buck had broken it.  Make sure you wear gloves when you break the branch. I then "answer nature's calling" into the scrape that I made.  If you ask me, all the scents that you can buy for making mock scrapes are a waste of money.  Deer do not associate the smell of human urine with humans.  They will check it out as a curiosity, and then take the scrape over themselves. I have had pictures of mature bucks hitting my mock scrapes less than 6 hours after I have made them.  Right now is my favorite time of year to make them.  I prefer to put them in spots where there are usually scrapes year after year.  Seems to be the most effective for me.  Don't be hesitant to pee in the scrapes though, cuz it works! Plus it will save you quite a bit of money! Don't worry about screwing anything up... Worst case scenario is that bucks simply do not acknowledge the scrape, but I don't think I have ever had that happen.

I will also say that I have had better luck making them along field edges than in the timber.  This is because I don't use them to hunt over. I just put my cameras on them and use them to take inventory.  It is a great way to see what bucks you have in the area!
lungbuster
12 Point
12 Point

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:39 pm

bowGal wrote:
kyhunter123 wrote:How do you all make them? Or what do you put in them? Iv been wanting to make one but I never have so I don't wanna do it wrong.
 We have never  made  mock scrape's, never felt the need to-as   the deer  make enough around here that  I can not keep up with running camera's on all of them Wink
Jacob I  have to ask, because I did see you posted some recent  photo's of  bucks working licking branches- did you not find any  natural scrapes under those  limb's???????
 Lungbuster posted some photo's I   just saw- of  his results from making a  mock scrape, maybe he can  go into detail  on how he made his if you  ask him,
 Right now  I am getting just as many doe's working our scrape line's as buck's,
 And I admit  I actually freshened one up today with my  own personal urine  sample Laughing
 I personally never really try to add any thing as far added  scent lure's to natural  scrape line area's as far as  Marketed product's, Been there- done that ,  Other then  using  a  few  Wildlife  Research Product's and my most favorite  Real Scent  brand's our deer here  and even on the old farm would freak out over adding anything other then    our own personal  urine sample Wink . Saw someone  said they cut the lower hanging  branches when making a mock scrape- personally  those are the branches that get worked around here the best,not sure I  understand that logic  in creating  mock scrape's, that statement  kind of confused me, But of  course I do know and understand we all hunt  different animals
Yeah. I got pictures of that little buck doing that. But he never did scrape the ground. Iv noticed alot of over hanging branches while running around on the fourwheeler or even walking in and out that Branches were broken but never any scrape on the ground. Iv got the weirdest deer ever.... and I actually tried to make a scrape like that about 2 weeks ago. But nothing. The does that walked up to it were really on edge. They put there nose in it and didn't like it very much (Had it one video) so idk. I never really find alot of scrapes around my place.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Post  Godfather on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:45 pm

I have never really had any luck with mock scrapes as well. But like barb mentioned, I have never had to worry about it because the deer make so many of them in my area. Honestly, this past Saturday on our walk in I found 4 new scrapes along a few hundred yards of logging road. The scrape that we are hunting over and I have my camera on right now has been in constant use for over a month now. Also just of note, the two biggest scrapes I have found so far this year are using grape vines as the licking branch as Soil mentioned above.
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:19 pm

That's a cool video that Willy posted!  I've used them for camera setups and enhanced existing ones as others have described...it works.
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum