Did you ever have a release go bad at the worst time?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Did you ever have a release go bad at the worst time?

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:46 pm

Well, If I had read the signs it wouldn't have been the worst time. Before heading to the woods today, I shot a few arrows. I wasn't shooting so well and thought at times that my release was acting up. But I just figured that the goofy flinching was from all the caffeine in my system and not the release. Well I get to my spot and about 5 o'clock I have deer feeding toward me. I had a doe at 40 yards and tried to shoot. It didn't go very well. It turned into some kind of freaky flinch. So I blamed myself. So after watching does to the north and south of me, about 5:45 I look over in the laurel and see a deer standing there. I pick up the bino's and see that it's a really good buck. Well, Here he come's. He stops and makes a scrape and then horns up and big tree and heads on in. I have him wide open, and broadside at 27 yards . I decided I was going to take him. I as I began to squeeze the release, and got to where it would normally go off. The trigger just got sloppy. From there, panic set in and I jerked the shot, stuck the arrow 12 up in a tree and blew it. I was sick. So now I know for sure that something is up with the release and it just cost me that buck. I reach in my pack and pull out my back up release and get it on. I didn't know where the buck went but turned out he was standing about 35 yards away behind some trees. He started to circle me but he was straight up wind of me. He came around and I had him at about 40 yards. I grunted to stop him. I was now pretty well shook and I had to catch myself about 3 times trying to punch the trigger. Just like that the bow went off right and the shot looked good. I watched as he ran about 150 yards and out of sight. I was feeling pretty good. But when I climbed down and got to my arrow, it only had a small amount of blood on it and a whole lot of fat. Sad  So I guess he was about 42 yards and I was about 2" too low. I'm sure he will live to see another day with a scar to show his buddies. I never had any history with the buck. He was a 4 or 5 year old big heavy 8 pnt. I had said I was going to pass on anything that wasn't  my biggest PA buck, and he wouldn't have been quite that so I'm not too upset over it but I think I'm going shopping tomorrow for a new release.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Did you ever have a release go bad at the worst time?

Post  bowGal on Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:58 pm

Darn   Vic   so sorry about your luck, . Hopefully you will get another encounter with

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  wihunter24 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:29 pm

Been there and done that.  Only I was drawing on a doe.  Got my bow 1/2 way back the the let off was about to kick in and next thing I know an arrow is sailing a foot over the back of the deer.  Tried target practicing with it the next day to figure out what was wrong.  3 arrows into the corn field later and my release was in the garbage.
wihunter24
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Well hopefully he just has a small flesh wound and will live to see another day. I never had a release fail but had a string break just as I let the arrow fly. I killed a huge hickory tree and the doe , well she took off when the arrow drilled the tree right above her , and the arrow is still to this day in that tree. I wasn't climbing 15 feet up to get it !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:43 am

Dang, sorry Vic!  I'm 54 and starting to learn to pay attention to those little signs and especially gut feelings! I hope you get that with a scar in the future.  So many times gut feelings that something ain't right ...have been right!

Your story reminds me of a year I could only get one day off to hunt during the rut.  Drove 3 hours to the mountains in the middle of the night, hiked in the predawn darkness fully loaded with a heavy climber and pack for an all day hunt in a hollow that I was sure a big buck I glassed in the summer was hanging in.  I was high in a tree before first light and just knew it could be a great day.  Once I could see, I decided to draw the bow a few times to check my shooting lanes...it was then that I discovered that the calipers on my release would not hold the string!  It was also then that I remembered the release felt sloppy with play the day before when I shot but like you...thought it was me.
       So no release, no backup, I sat in that tree all day until dark as punishment for being stupid!  Note... I was prepared to try a bare- fingered shot if a trophy came by, fortunately for him none did!   Now there is always a backup release with me and also a small pouch with all the Allen wrenches that fit my bow and release.  That tiny little wrench could have fixed the problem!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  G3 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:57 pm

Just one time, When Harry and I were hunting in Ohio my release was sticking and causing a jerk like that...fortunately for me I shoot Fletcher releases and they are super easy to clean/rebuild....5 minutes later It was working great again. Sorry to hear about the miss Vic...better that than a bad hit fella....I have a feeling you will find that buck again.
G3
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Maniac Outdoors on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:04 pm

G3 wrote:Just one time, When Harry and I were hunting in Ohio my release was sticking and causing a jerk like that...fortunately for me I shoot Fletcher releases and they are super easy to clean/rebuild....5 minutes later It was working great again. Sorry to hear about the miss Vic...better that than a bad hit fella....I have a feeling you will find that buck again.
 Yeah I remember that, Sorry about your luck Vic and hopefully you and your new release can catch back up to that back and finish the job.
Maniac Outdoors
Admin
Admin

http://usahuntingpros.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:17 pm

Well I got the new release today. Not really what I wanted but it's shooting a lot better than my old one. I did have a heck of a time though. That whole deal really gave me some kind of target panic. Add to it that the new release just feels different and all. But by the time I was done, it was shooting pretty good. I hate having to change anything at this time of year.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:19 pm

To bad on the shot Vic, sucks when that happens.  I had a release fail while bowfishing.  I would let me pull back almost to full poundage then let the arrow fly.  I smacked myself twice in the jaw before wising up to it.
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:57 am

once while practicing I had one fail and punched myself in the cheek...that made me flinchy for a long time!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:44 am

Sorry about your experience Vic.
I had that happen early on with one of those early trigger releases.  Punched myself a couple times square in the nose before I smartened up enough to realize something was not working right.  

Also had a rest fail back in 1997 during our bowcamp on a huge NY NT.  It was one of those magical days sitting in a natural ground blind along a funnel that had bucks running around me.  Then it happened, a giant massive NT came from the corn into the funnel that I was hunting and stopped perfectly in my shooting lane.  Standing broadside I settled my 30 yard pin on the crease of his left shoulder pit and touched the trigger.  I was horrified as I watched the arrow fly way high and way right.  That dang arrow sailed about 3 feet above its rump.  I guess you can't say I was looking at his rack.  Was my mind playing tricks on me?  There was nothing between that giant buck and me to deflect the arrows flight.  Well no blood and yes I found my arrow so far off the path of aim I was confused and dejected to tears.  I walked off the distance to be actually 31 yards.
I sat for a little while longer but was shot.  Thru tears I actually shooed another buck away.  I was broken to have blown that shot.
I went back to camp and told my story and heard stuff like buck fever and you'll get um next time.  I'm sure some thought it was a story but I would have some redemption.
I knew better, I shot almost every day back then.  I never should have missed that shot.  So I took out my target to start rebuilding my confidence.  I shot my first arrow from 20 yards and again the arrow missed the target way high and way right.  An older guy at camp that had taken me under his wing came up behind me and told me to get up to 10 yards from the target and start from there.  As he was standing behind me I pulled back on my second shot and the arrow fell thru the arrow rest.  I remember him say well what do you know.
A stripped screw that held the prong in place kept me from what would have to have been a B&C contender on public ground.  The prong could not hold weight of the arrow and opened up.  Opened up just enough to make my arrow fly wickedly off on that great big NY buck.  I guess that was the better of the two possiblilties that could have happened.  I would hate to think what could have happened if that arrow fell down into that rest as I released on that buck.  Being as far back off the road on the public land as I was could have been a sticky situation.  
I did recover a couple weeks later to shoot my biggest for a number of years and widest to date.  Maybe the same for you I hope Vic.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum