Missed a giant tonight!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Missed a giant tonight!

Post  lungbuster on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:54 pm

I have been staying out of the No Name 9's area, to keep it fresh until Saturday... so I decided to hunt another one of my properties that I have not hunted or ran any cams on this year.  I was hunting out of a big Oak, just inside the timber off of a picked corn field.  At 5:45 I heard a crunch behind me out in the field.  There was a doe standing 20 yds broadside in the picked corn.  I was debating whether or not I wanted to take her, when I looked down the timber line about 40 yds and saw a GIANT 10 pt working a scrape that I have no history with.  He was working towards me, and I fully expected him to follow that doe right into my shooting lane.  Well they never do what they are supposed to do.  He decided to cut into the timber instead.  This was the one area where I didn't have very many good shooting lanes.  I stopped him in the one spot I thought I could get an arrow through... 25 yds.  I let it fly and watched my area deflect off of a branch that I did not see. I just skinned the top of his back.  Checked my arrow, nothing but a little bit of hair.  I'm sick... this buck would have easily been my biggest ever! Probably in the 160's.  I don't know what to do now... Should I get back in there, or give the area a break?  Have any of you had this happen?  How does this effect a deer in the coming days, or does it at all?  I know I did not hurt him, and I am sooo thankful for that! I feel like he probably doesn't even know what happened, but thats also wishful thinking.  I'm just sick to my stomach to miss such a great buck, and I'm trying to decide what to do next.  Thanks in advance for the input!
lungbuster
12 Point
12 Point

Back to top Go down

Re: Missed a giant tonight!

Post  Young on Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:01 pm

Anyone who has spent time in the timber has hit that invisible limb or vine you just didn't see.  Suck's man, but you got plenty of time to get back after it and make something happen!  Keep your head up and maybe get a good lane or two in the timber!  Good luck LB and stay safe...
Young
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:20 am

Oh man, thats tough but it happens to everyone sometime. My buddy smacked a 170 last year, 2 weeks after he slipped an arrow high in chest in that dead area above the lungs. Shot him again out of the same stand, same time 2 weeks after the initial non-fatal shot. I hope the same happens with your buck, good luck!

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Maniac Outdoors on Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:37 pm

That's a tough pill to swallow but at least you didn't wound him, I hope you can catch up with him and put one right thru the pumper.
Maniac Outdoors
Admin
Admin

http://usahuntingpros.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aero on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:07 am

Bummer - been there, done that.  I'd get back in there.  If that was the 1st you have been in there - he may have no clue what happened.  Even if he did have a hunch, he won't be able to resist chasing women...  he will be around.  I'd be hopeful and give it a whirl.

Aero
Pope & Young
Pope & Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum