Phewwwwwwwwwww

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Phewwwwwwwwwww

Post  MEhunter on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:52 pm

Well I sure hate polotics but figured i would share this one... Back in 2004 the anti hunting group HSUS out of DC came to Maine to attempt to outlaw bear baiting, hounding and trapping. We won by a very narrow margin. Last year they decided that it was time to come back and attempt to have our bear hunting methods banned again (we are the only state that still allows all three baiting, trapping, hounding). WIth the way the country has changed over the last ten years a lot of us figured that we were surely going to lose. This time around there was a ton of hard work put in by a lot of us to campaign against HSUS and their fight to ban our hunting methods. Well I'm happy to report we have once again defeated the HSUS and their band of misfits! We won by about the same margin as last time. It's really sad to see all the waisted money that was put up from both sides on this vote. I believe in no way should an out of state organization have the right to come to another state and try to go against what our own biologists say are a neccessary means to harvest bears and maintain a stable population. Truly blows my mind. There is some discussion going on now to try and get a bill past to ban these types of groups from trying to do the same thing in the future. HSUS has once again let us know that they will be back to try and outlaw these methods again. 

Another thing that was truly nice to see about this was the support we received from just about every polotician either in office or in the election themselves. Most of the time with these things you see polotics get in the way of peoples true feelings an opinions. Not so in this case. All 3 candiates for governor as well as just about every other democrat and republican candidate alike was on our side. It's still evident that a lot of citizens in our state weren't, but happy to report the majority was.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Re: Phewwwwwwwwwww

Post  shedder on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:06 pm

That's great news to beat those m rons!  Just get a campaign going to synonize HSUS with That group causing hell over in the Middle East and that has to catch fire...
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bow_dad on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:35 pm

It's great to hear a positive outcome in one of these situations for a change.  love it.
bow_dad
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:51 pm

bow_dad wrote:It's great to hear a positive outcome in one of these situations for a change.  love it.
 x's 2, Very happy for you  all up there

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:14 pm

Good to hear that !!!! I just wonder is these idiots really know the impact they could cause for a ton of people if they got this passed ??
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:51 am

Pa. Bowhunter wrote:Good to hear that !!!! I just wonder is these idiots really know the impact they could cause for a ton of people if they got this passed ??

They have no clue. They just think it's unethical to sit over a pile of bait or shoot a bear out of tree with dogs barking beneath it. They have no idea what bear hunting is like especially in the woods we have. Without hunting them the way we do it would not only be very very difficult to kill one here, but you would also end up shooting a lot of sows with cubs and wounding far more bears. Bait and hounds give us as hunters the ability to size up the animal before we shoot and also determine if it's a sow with cubs. Hound hunters pass on probably 75% of the bears they tree every year and the number of bears passed on bait is very high as well. Many of the lodges in northern Maine would have been forced to close their doors if this passed. Now that our deer herd is in the shape it is the only thing a lot of lodges have to depend on for income is Bear, moose, and birds. The lure of Maine deer hunting just isn't what it used to be. People don't want to spend the time or money to come and hunt one of the lowest populations in the country. If this referendum would have passed the population of bears would have tripled or even quadroopled in Northern Maine in no time. We lose enough fawns and moose calfs to coyotes and bears already. We don't need hundreds of more bears coming out of hibernation with nothing to eat but the young of other animals.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:45 am

Great to hear it worked out!  It seems to me that more and more people are against groups like this, and realizing they are only interested in their own point of view, lacking any common sense and have no interest in whats actually best for wildlife. Canada's biggest province of Ontario just recently reinstated their spring bear hunt as well, after a lot of public pressure to do so! All great news

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum