Biggie down

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Biggie down

Post  BuckRubIL on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:40 pm

Opening morning of gun season was good to me this year, I killed my biggest buck and first history buck... a buck that we would come to call biggie. 

I first got pics of Biggie last year, he never showed up in velvet but was there in Nov and I had several encounters with him.  At the time, I figured him to be a 140ish 3 year old. I would have been plenty happy to hang my tag on him even then, but it just never worked out that way (thankfully).

Fast forward to this year, again the first pics I got of Biggie came in Nov and they stung a little as I had hunted hard all weekend and the Monday I went back to work he walked by by stand in broad daylight.

A few days after the pic was taken I showed it to the neighbor and that next day, he had him at 20 yards with the bow but couldn't get a shot off.  Knowing he was around and moving during daylight I hunted him hard but just never had an encounter with him.  I got a few more night time pics of Biggie on the same trail by one of my stands, but that was it. 

Getting discouraged on my farm, I ended out my vacation week hunting with Jimmy one morning and ended up killing a nice 8 pointer.  The buck only gave me a few seconds to decide and only seeing him from the side I decided it was now or never.  Of course, he ended up being a little smaller and younger than I would have liked, but it felt good to fill a buck tag after being on a buck kill drought of several years now.

I went ahead and bought more bow tags and hunted a few more times for biggie but still never had an ecounter with him.  The neighbor had again seen him go into my back bottom field so I figured he was still around and that maybe I needed to spend a little more time back there instead of at the front where I'd been getting the pics.

Opening morning of gun season rolled around and I decided to hunt off the ground as I wasn't sure who else would be hunting the farm I hunt and hunting on the ground keeps me mobile in case I need to move away from others.  I almost didn't even hunt where I did but something told me to go there and hang tight, hoping maybe the pressure form the neighbors or other hunters would drive Biggie my way.  It was a cold morning and I hadn't seen much until 8:30 when I passed a 3 year old 10 pointer cruising.  About half hour after that, I looked up and caught a glimpse of a buck coming my way and I knew right away it was a shooter.  He was around 100 yards away but headed straight for me so I got my gun up and tried to find him in the scope but couldn't locate him again.  I started to panic thinking he had slipped away from me, but finally after a few minutes I caught him moving again to my left and once again raised my gun to an opening he was headed for.  Again, he never showed in the opening and again, I started to panic as I couldn't find him anywhere.  Finally, after really surveying the area with my bino's (and a little help from the changing sunlight) I caught a glimpse of Biggie bedded in the brush right before my opening.... and now the wait was on!  I watched him radar the area for a half hour or so, but knowing my wind was iffy as it was a crosswind to him at best made me super nervous (not to mention the biggest buck of my life was bedded at 100 yards).  Finally, my hands were frozen and my nerves were shot... I text BBK for some advice on whether I should try to move a little to my left in hopes that I could see more of his body for a shot or just wait him out.  BBK suggested I make a move and I was ready, I reached down to grab my gun and when I looked back up Biggie was standing up on alert looking my way.  I knew he didn't see me, but figured he caught a sniff of my wind swirling in the bottom.  Knowing it was now or never I threw my gun up and he took two steps into an opening (headed back the way he came from) and stopped.  I leaned out in my seat, put the scope right on him, and pulled the trigger.  I watched him kick, tuck his tail, and take off but I still really wasn't sure if I hit him or not.  I went down to find blood and couldn't, but after starting to head the way he went I found a little and then looked up and could see him dead on the hillside.  At this point my nerves were really shot, and I stopped and threw up a good chunker right where I stood.  Biggie was down, and I couldn't have been happier!  

A quick side note about Biggie, he had a big gash in his back that we thought was maybe a gore from another buck.  

After gutting him, we found out the cause of the puss pocket.  Biggie had been shot by a bowhunter and had about 6 inches of arrow and a bent rage stuck in him right under his spine.

His back glands were all swollen but he wasn't limping when he came in or anything... and the infection was only around the wound so he was taking it pretty well.  Either way though, there is a very sad bowhunter somehwere out there, as I know I would have been sick if I had stuck him and not recovered him.

I roughed biggie out at 164 gross and 161 net, although I'm far from a professional scorer.  I still only think he's 4 but man did he blow up in just a year. I can't help thinking about how big he would have been next year if he would have made it, but obviously I don't regret shooting one bit as nobody in my area would pass him and I'm tickled to death that he'll be hanging on my wall for me to admire for years to come! cheers  A big thanks goes out to BBK on this hunt for the advice he gave me while he was bedded (and the lighted knocks for luck! lol!  ) and to my family for dealing with my obsession to be in the woods so much during Nov.  2014 is a year that I won't soon forget! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
BuckRubIL
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Biggie down

Post  shedder on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:53 pm

Congrats on a incredible buck!!  What a beautiful write up to your story.  Super read to a super year!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:30 pm

Awesome bucks there Pj !!! Congrats on ending that dry spell . I can't believe that's your baby in the pic , looks like someone is growing very fast !!!!!! Gotta love those bino's for finding critters when they are trying to hide !! I just ordered two more Very Happy !!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:27 am

Great Job PJ !   fantastic read. Great pictures and a couple great deer. Biggie is gonna make a sweet looking mount.  I am sorry, don't normally bash but Rage heads should be banned. That is just crazy.
Congratulations again on a couple great deer. Cant wait to see the mounts
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nyhunter20 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:25 am

Congratulations PJ and great read. Sounds like you had a great week of hunting
nyhunter20
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  John B on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Yes! Hell of a way to bust up a dry spell! Congrats PJ!!!

John B
Pope & Young
Pope & Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:02 pm

Thats a heck of a year right there! Congrats an knocking down that big boy, he is a stud. cheers
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Bakerman on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:54 pm

You da Man PJ!  Loved the write up   That's what it is all about...  Memories

Bakerman
12 Point
12 Point

Back to top Go down

Post  wihunter24 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:10 pm

Man, you've had a great couple weeks!  All the hard work pays off with 2 awesome deer!  Your gun buck is going to look awesome on the wall!  Congrats. cheers
wihunter24
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:35 pm

he's a good one pj!  i did the exact same thing when i shot my elk.  never even saw him run off, i was too busy chucking in the weeds behind me!  i love that big shot of adrenaline though.  congratulations!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:19 am

Congrats again PJ. He's awesome and with that arrow in him, he may have actually lost a few inches if he had made it until next year. I can't wait to see pics of him in your man cave.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:09 pm

Awesome  write up  Pj, and so happy for you that you got him.   I just told Larry about that rage-lol I  am sure you know  what he said.  Wink

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:13 am

Oh man, what a great buck and hunt and history. Love the pics, and the one with the kiddo on the tailgate is awesome. Great job, congrats and thanks for sharing!

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  lungbuster on Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:24 pm

Awesome awesome buck!! Congrats!!
lungbuster
12 Point
12 Point

Back to top Go down

Post  impactarcher on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:54 am

Awesome, awesome buck!  You deserve this one PJ Wink
Love that last pic with you and E man.  He's proud of his dad!

impactarcher
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum