Dad's gun buck

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dad's gun buck

Post  wihunter24 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:19 pm

As it always seems to be with my stories, this will probably be longer and more rambling than it needs to be, but oh well.  If you you don't want to read it, just skip to the pics cheers 

The 2nd day of Wisconsin's gun season treated my dad pretty well.  I first got pictures and saw this buck back in 2012.  He was a main frame 10 with an extra point off his base for 11 total.  At the time, I figured he was an up and coming 2 yr old with some potential for years to come even though he didn't have much tine length.  

He made it through the winter and I again started getting pics of him regularly in the late summer of 2013.  He didn't make the big jump like I thought he would, but none the less he was a nice buck.  I laid eyes on him one time all of last year in late October and then he disappeared from the cameras just before gun season.  I figured he wandered over to the neighbors and got shot.  

Fast forward to August of this year and a familiar face shows up on the cameras.  He added some mass and width, but still had the short tined look and wouldn't score much.  He was 4 yrs old with a tank of a body and definetly on the hit list going into this fall.  I consistently got pictures of him through out the fall.  He was very much a home body- every picture over 3 years, with the exception of 1, came from within / around the same 40 acre block of woods. Last week my dad and I were standing in the house when we saw a deer out in the field.  Closer examination with the spotting scope revealed it was this buck.  It was the first time I'd laid eyes on him this year and the first time dad had ever seen him.  My dad's exact words were "that deer's long and has a bigger body than you think.  You ever pass something like that up, I'll have you thrown in the loony bin!"  We ended up seeing him 2 other times last week- each time in the evenings about 1/2 hour before dark following a doe in the same area he'd always been.  Confidence was high going into gun season.

The 2nd day of gun season was significantly warmer than opening day.  The couple inches of snow we had for opening day had melted, a misty drizzle had set in and with it came a dense fog.  I'm sitting in my stand at about 1:00 when my phone starts vibrating in my pocket.  After digging it out, my mom proceeds to tell me that my dad had  had just called her to tell her he got a nice buck and to have me come help whenever I got back because he was down over a steep oak covered hillside.  

I climbed down and eventually made my way towards dad location.  I immediately recognized the buck as the one we'd seen a couple times over the last week.  According to my dad, he was walking along the edge of the field and a bunch of pines that we planted close to 20 years ago.  There's about 20 feet bewteen the pines and the main section of woods.  Dad just happened to be in a position where he could see into this little opening / gap.  Here came a doe and 10 feet behind her was this buck. Dad pulled up and shot and smoked him at about 25 yards.  The buck took about 5 steps before falling into the woods and sliding downhill.  Thankfully he slid into a tree, because if he hadn't we'd still be dragging.  It took us 2 hours to drag the thing about 60 yards uphill to the point where we could finally get him out of the woods and into my truck.  

My dad isn't much for showing emotion or excitement, but he was pretty fired up about this buck.  He still likes to hunt and enjoys being outdoors but he doesn't get as excited about it as he once did.  For the most part he just tries to stay out of my way, which I appreciate.  At the same time though, I wanted nothing more than for him to shoot a good buck.  He's shot several good 3 yr old bucks during the last couple years but I think he was most excited about the fact that he smoked a big bodied mature buck.  

The buck has 12 points (dad's claiming 13 points because you could hang a ring on the one at the end of the beam, and "those scoring people are idiots who don't know what a point is -screw 'em" lol! ) with a 17" spread.  Without a doubt the the biggest freaking head I've seen on a buck around here in awhile.   For the most part the rut is long gone here, with a few exceptions, and the buck weighed in at 204 lbs dressed.

Onto the pics.....

2012 - 2 yrs old

2013 - 3 yrs old

2014 - 4 yrs old

wihunter24
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Dad's gun buck

Post  Willy on Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:39 am

Great story !  congratulations to your Pop on his 13 pointer . 
i can feel the pride you have toward your dad in the story , i may be way off but i have to asume that all that comes from the pride he has expressed towards you on your past sucessful hunts.  
It comes full circle, aint nothing like it. 
Congrats again to you both

Last edited by Willy on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:25 am

AWESOME !!!!! Not much more to say Very Happy  , BUT I love his way of thinking !!!!!!!!!!! If you can hang a ring on it , IT COUNTS !!! That right there is called tradition and is something that sadly seems to have been lost in the last 10-15 years with this big buck craze and t.v. !! A huge congrats to your Dad !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  VABuckSlayer on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:10 am

Great story and a great buck! Congratulations to your dad! That's awesome!
VABuckSlayer
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:23 pm

Big congratulation's  to your Dad. Zack that is awesome, Loved the reading  this  story, thank's for sharing

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:55 pm

Congratulations!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:16 am

That was so good to read!!  I could almost hear his feathers ruffle about that point!  Oh is he so right!  13 point cheers  
You got it right too Rick,  I love watching and listening to that generation of hunters talk about deer!  
Beautiful story that brought a tear to my eye and a big smile reminding me of my Dad. 
Congrats to your Father for putting down a great buck and congrats to you too for getting the opportunity to experience such a cool thing with your dad!!
Thank you for sharing with us!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:12 am

Congrats!  Special hunt right there.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Maniac Outdoors on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:41 pm

Congratulations to your Dad there Cheesehead,  always love reading your stories.
Maniac Outdoors
Admin
Admin

http://usahuntingpros.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:01 pm

Congrats to your Dad on a successful hunt!  Good read, thanks for sharing.
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum