LOl is any one else here ready for season to end

View previous topic View next topic Go down

LOl is any one else here ready for season to end

Post  bowGal on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:58 pm

Had a long weekend of sitting, and still  plan on many more sit's before season end's- but  darn it  I am so ready to just  get back out to walking daily, looking for shed's  and  just taking long peace full  walks in the timber-   I  so can not wait  to be able to  spend more  time  outside moving around  instead of sitting still in a  tree or blind, Our  deer herd in this area of  Il sucks period, no matter how much  money and time we  keep putting in to improve it,, I am so ready  to make some major  change's in our life, Got a call this weekend from Bob  Whittlock-  I am sure  most of you know and remember him from the  Whitetail freaks- as  aka the   Smiley  Freak,, Had a good talk with him and, of  course  Iowa was mentioned a lot,   Wink
 Even Kentucky and Kansas,
  and believe it or not  some county in  Pa that starts with and L

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: LOl is any one else here ready for season to end

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:27 pm

Barb , you can't wait for the season to get here and now you want to cut it short ????!!! Yes you are , CRAZY !!!! Do you know the name of the "L" county ?? We have a couple .
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:36 am

Well if you want major change don't move here. We're just another pathetic blue state Like Illinois Sad I'm guessing you might have been thinking about Lycoming Co. which has produced some great bucks over the years but if I were looking for whitetail property here, I'd look in the western part of the state. They have better antler restrictions and seem to have better potential.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:37 am

Similar thing up here Barb, working so darn hard but mature deer are just so few and far between. Between winter, wolves and unregulated harvest, a 150 class buck is real hard to come across.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:34 pm

Barb,  It freaking kills me to say it but I think I'm at a point in my life where I might be leaning towards having more enjoyment from the trail cams than sitting in the cold rain and snow waiting on a buck that I've learned that I should be waiting for but know darn well isn't around... 
I wonder how many hunters will find other things to do?  
I don't know about you but I'm not willing to give up too many more of what years I have left watching really nice bucks walk because someone doing research tells me I should wait til they are 4 1/2...
I'm not against QDM at all if thats what you want to do but I really don't want to let a decade go by with out shooting a deer for the sake of someones research.  With nature holding the ultimate gun taking out these deer in big swipes with a tiny knat anyway whats the use???  
So with all the fluctuating numbers all over the place is QDM everything its stacked up to be?  We do what we are suppose to do, We spend way more than We have to help the deer herd, Some of us go years and years with out releasing an arrow or pulling a trigger for the sake of the deer...and the numbers still are not where the researches have lead us to believe...I have a theory about data & research but thats my biased opinion.

So is this what hunting really is suppose to be?  Cause its lost most of its luster for me...It sure doesn't resemble anything like the old days.  Some of that might be good but some sure is bad and guess what?  They were killing giants in the very early days right thru the 70's, 80's & 90's without someone telling our grandparents to hold off unless he was 4 1/2 or older.
MHO
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:37 pm

shedder wrote:Barb,  It freaking kills me to say it but I think I'm at a point in my life where I might be leaning towards having more enjoyment from the trail cams than sitting in the cold rain and snow waiting on a buck that I've learned that I should be waiting for but know darn well isn't around... 
I don't know about you but I'm not willing to give up too many more of what years I have left watching really nice bucks walk because someone doing research tells me I should wait til they are 4 1/2...
I'm not against QDM at all if thats what you want to do but I really don't want to let a decade go by with out shooting a deer for the sake of someones research.  With nature holding the ultimate gun taking out these deer in big swipes with a tiny knat anyway whats the use???  
So with all the fluctuating numbers all over the place is QDM everything its stacked up to be?  We do what we are suppose to do, We spend way more than We have to help the deer herd, Some of us go years and years with out releasing an arrow or pulling a trigger for the sake of the deer...and the numbers still are not where the researches have lead us to believe...I have a theory about data & research but thats my biased opinion.

So is this what hunting really is suppose to be?  Cause its lost most of its luster for me...It sure doesn't resemble anything like the old days.  Some of that might be good but some sure is bad and guess what?  They were killing giants in the very early days right thru the 70's, 80's & 90's without someone telling our grandparents to hold off unless he was 4 1/2 or older.
MHO
 Matt  - I can not  argue or disagree with  anything you just said,  And you all know  my passion for this  sport, and trust me   I have actually just about given up

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:06 pm

Barb, it honestly hurts me more to hear it from you than to feel it myself.  You need to have a moose bed down 5 yards from Ya to jump start your spirits a bit!  I hope a legend walks into your shooting lane for you!!
For me it's more about disappointment than anything else I guess...
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:49 am

shedder wrote:Barb,  It freaking kills me to say it but I think I'm at a point in my life where I might be leaning towards having more enjoyment from the trail cams than sitting in the cold rain and snow waiting on a buck that I've learned that I should be waiting for but know darn well isn't around... 

MHO
I do agree with you Matt. I feel like people have lost "the hunt" and are more or less just farming deer.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedaddict on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:36 am

Im ready for it to be over but with the herd the way it is it makes shed hunting not as fun anymore either... I need a new hobbies
shedaddict
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:30 am

Vic,
for me its not really about that.  When I had my Foreman all rigged up with every plot making implement known to man, I was having the time of my life.  It brought out the I want to be a farmer in me.  The part that is bothersome is after a few years of magazines, videos and TV hunting shows the mind is molded to just accept it as we have to let these great deer walk like they are common occurrences!!  Oh wait for most of us they are fleeting glimpses and guess what you want to hold out for a 4 1/2 year old you might as well play the lottery...

I know there are some that have the correct formula and are putting out amazing results.  Again this is not a slam on anyone doing it and doing it right.  But for the average hunter I question its use in terms of input/output.  I may just be at that point in my hunting career when they say the size of a buck is less of a matter and it goes back to more of a experience aspect.  I don't know...I do know that.

I passed ELK BUCK up three times the year this photo was taken in the name of QDM...

Couldn't make myself take the shot on DIABLO because I was in Iowa and I couldn't decide if his belly was too skinny to be over 4 1/2 or not...QDM...thats what I was worrying about when blessed with this amazing experience.  Not pick a spot, relax, breath... Not Thank you Lord...but shoot is he old enough??? couldn't tell
so no shot! 

I had TONGUING 10 dead to rights sleeping in his bed on a rainy day a few bow seasons ago.  Full draw...QDM tells me he needed one more year maybe two so I let back on my bow hoping Big L could get him...

I keep asking myself and looking back saying why did you let them ALL walk?  Where has it gotten you?  Its a pharse unless you control a ton of acerage or are in a large group of neighbors that practices it then yes there is so much to gain...But for the average small plot hunter, you're just pissing your tags and $$$ away.  
Much better going with a 1 buck a year limit in my all be it humble opinion.  

Vic, yes in a way I can see your point.  Where I was heading was the specialness of just going out to hunt.  Maybe I am in the minority here but I love the gun season.  Its the time of year that I can get back and hunt like my Dad and Grandpa.  Its very special to me to just go out along a ridge top and find a good stump to sit on and watch over a creek bottom!  Its very serene and soul mending.  Especially a stump with one of those kickers pieces going up...oh all is good!!!
As stupid as it sounds bow season is the time for work and the gun season is my time for reflection...I love hearing the sound of a distant muzzle blast...its cool to hear.  I wonder what the mighty hunter shot?  Sometimes you can even hear that awesome hoot and holler then you know someone shot them a good one and thats really cool!!  Thats all part of the specialness that is fading today for me...Partially from missing out on my Iowa and Kentucky hunt this year along with having to give up the hunt I won with Tom Miranda this past January in Mexico and the other is just having no mature deer around after passing up really great bucks every year that don't fit the QDM spectrum but sure would bring a smile to my face about now...
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowright on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:02 am

I love living back in Missouri. I'm not going to worry about passing this deer or that deer, I'm going to shoot what makes me happy. Heck, I would have shot a fork horn when briley was in the blind with me. Instead a big ole nanny took the fall. 

The last few years in Iowa I was so concerned about killing a mature buck, I left 160 inch deer walk. Looking back now, I wish I wouldn't have as those deer would have made a memory for me and the hunts were awesome, but I JUST HAD to kill a mature buck. I'm glad to say that I have broke free from that mentality. I'm going to shoot what I want. Do I miss Iowa? Heck yes I do, what deer hunter in their right mind wouldn't? But I don't miss worrying about how old the deer is that comes into range. We have some big deer down here as well. They are a lot harder to hunt due to all the timber, but they are still here. On my dad's home farm, he manages it hard and i follow his rules, but we have many more farms to hunt that it doesn't matter what we kill, they are cattle farms but have plenty of deer on them. 

So I can relate to the frustrations that many people have. It took coming back home and hunting with my family to realize, that age and score isn't everything. To see the excitement in my 76 year old grandpas eyes when he says he just shot a buck (small 2 1/2 year old 8 point) makes you realize that hunting is a tradition, that it's supposed to be fun and enjoyable, and when you get a "buck", regardless of size and age, you have made memories and have had a successful hunt.
bowright
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:38 am

Well holy crap , look what the cat dragged in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn Jimmy I thought you done won the big lottery and moved to another country !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:05 am

Matt , I have to say Will Primo's says it best , " this ain't Hollywood " !!! 99.9% of us will never have a deer on t.v. , so why worry about it. Yes I know some members will hold out for a certain buck , and that's all good with me , 100 % . Their choice. Their land . Their tags. Myself , well I never bought into the t.v. or qdma deal. Matter of fact I was passing up deer LONG before it was the "in thing" it is today. And man do I regret not taking some of those bucks back in the early/mid 90's !! I don't care what anyone says , around my area is it 100% impossible to control the deer herd. I have lived here since 2000 and shot 1 buck. Yes I could have shot more but I passed them , not for me but for the kids. Right now its all about them. When they move on in life in a few years , well then I go back to it being about what I want. Yes I will say during bow season I may let one walk by , but when gun season rolls in , its all about putting meat in the freezer !! Yes I have taken some crap about bucks I have taken in the last 10 years , but I really don't care if somebody thinks its too small or too young. I eat all of every deer we have ever brought home , done it legally , so whats wrong with that ??? Not a freaking thing. If doing what your doing makes you happy , well then everyone should be just as happy for you as you are of yourself. No questions asked , and that right there is why friendships and even families have been torn apart. Because somebody had to ask , make a comment or judge another hunter. Just like hearing about a cull buck or management deer , that's all BS , its just an excuse to take an " inferior " buck out of the herd and a way to charge money for a lesser buck. I know that I am at the stage where I'm enjoying my time in the woods and just watching nature. Seeing a deer is just a bonus. I sat in my stand last night watching a doe feed for 30 minutes, and man did it suck not being able to shoot her . All I could see were backstraps on the grill , jerky being made and a heart to pickle Very Happy Very Happy !!! I may ruffle some feathers at times but when a member puts up a pic of a big buck or better yet , a kid with any deer , well that still puts a smile to my face to know yes there are some big bucks out there but also that some kids are still getting to know the outdoors are where life is at and not on a cellphone texting or playing games !!!!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:34 pm

There is a smaller neighboring farm bordering mine for sale. Dont know how much land or how much money. Was out at the farm and saw the sign this weekend.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Buy it Boss and I'll rent off of you Very Happy !!! I found a sweet chunk , only 48 acres but it should be awesome , all for $239,000 . Less than 5 grand an acre is cheap around here anymore Very Happy
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  VABuckSlayer on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:05 am

I got lucky and shot a nice buck this year but outside of that (not counting my son's doe kill) this has been a boring season. Me and a few of my buddies may be going to Kansas next year. We are looking into several options but hunting around here has been terrible the last several years. Until they ban dog hunting in Virginia we will never have the quality of hunting that the mid-west has.
VABuckSlayer
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:26 pm

VABuckSlayer wrote:I got lucky and shot a nice buck this year but outside of that (not counting my son's doe kill) this has been a boring season. Me and a few of my buddies may be going to Kansas next year. We are looking into several options but hunting around here has been terrible the last several years. Until they ban dog hunting in Virginia we will never have the quality of hunting that the mid-west has.
 Eric,   that  dog season  your state  has- has  always been one  season  I will never understand  any state that  allow's a dog season  at  least for  whitetail hunting,  Crying or Very sad   Heck you know we do not have  that season here - thank  God, On the good side- of it all  You and  Jake  were  blessed this year, I have  always told you,   Heck  most of   those wide  buck's you have up there are  better then a lot of  mature bucks  that we even have left in our  state  , I wish you the best if you guy's   get to head to Kansas next year- you know  I would of loved to shared another hunt with you this year, if Il  was  what it use to be, Yes I think you   know   that  after what  the 2000 hunt showed you  verse the  5 year later   hunt we got to share, together, Did  Ryan   ever end up coming back to Il this year after he got that discount offer??

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  VABuckSlayer on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:08 pm

bowGal wrote:
VABuckSlayer wrote:I got lucky and shot a nice buck this year but outside of that (not counting my son's doe kill) this has been a boring season. Me and a few of my buddies may be going to Kansas next year. We are looking into several options but hunting around here has been terrible the last several years. Until they ban dog hunting in Virginia we will never have the quality of hunting that the mid-west has.
 Eric,   that  dog season  your state  has- has  always been one  season  I will never understand  any state that  allow's a dog season  at  least for  whitetail hunting,  Crying or Very sad   Heck you know we do not have  that season here - thank  God, On the good side- of it all  You and  Jake  were  blessed this year, I have  always told you,   Heck  most of   those wide  buck's you have up there are  better then a lot of  mature bucks  that we even have left in our  state  , I wish you the best if you guy's   get to head to Kansas next year- you know  I would of loved to shared another hunt with you this year, if Il  was  what it use to be, Yes I think you   know   that  after what  the 2000 hunt showed you  verse the  5 year later   hunt we got to share, together, Did  Ryan   ever end up coming back to Il this year after he got that discount offer??

We have some really nice deer in VA! If we didn't have the dog huntingt the last 7 weeks of the season you would hear more about our state. It's just really sucks around here when they come out because the deer go nocturnal and it's over. 
Ryan didn't go to Illinois this year but we are thinking of going somewhere next year. You ruined me on that hunt with you on your Pike ground that year I shot Narley. Lol hunting here at home pales in comparison to that place or out that way in general. Deer don't respond to calling here like out there. You would be ready to go home after 2 days of hunting here lol
VABuckSlayer
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum