Lily's first deer

Go down

Lily's first deer

Post  Mountainman Vic on Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:18 pm

Well, with the onset of the PA firearms season opening on Monday, I took my step-daughter Lily out again this year. This little 13 year old girl has got one of the most determined attitudes that I've ever seen and set all day last year on the first two days of the gun season without anything to show for it and yet walked away with a giant smile. 
So I had a place in mind to take her that I hadn't been into in over a year but had suspicions that it would be pretty good. It required a tough 3/4 mile hike through some nasty mountain laurel which Lily managed pretty good and later told me in so many words that she was impressed how I could move through it faster than her as fat as I am.  lol! Anyhow we got to the point that I wanted to set on and settled in. Around 8 am we had a small buck coming in that was out about 80 yards. I got the buck stopped and the rifle barked only to have the buck run a little and walk off unscaved. Then around 9 we had a little tiny spiker come in chasing a doe. I thought for sure she was going to kill this buck as it was running past us at 30 yards but Lily just couldn't get on him. So after he was gone I told Lily that I wanted to move about 60 yards down the point to where we had better vision and not so much brush. So we made the move and settled in and took a little nap. About 2pm Lily was leaning up against me sleeping when I saw a deer walking toward us. I got her awake and saw that it was the little spike from earlier. He was feeding on acorns and stopped at 35 yards wide open. I told Lily to put it on his shoulder and let him have it. The gun barked again and the buck folded up and hit the ground instantly. Before I could stop her she handed me the gun and took off like a shot and was standing at the deer with the biggest grin I've ever seen. And then the work started. Of all the deer I've ever harvested this little buck was the worst one that I ever got out of the woods. I should have packed it out but figured that she wanted to take it home to show her mom so I thought we would just take it down off the mountain. What a mistake. I ended up in a very steep ravine that forced us into the ditch full of rock and logs and holes filled with all of the leaves off of the side hills that created it. I then ended up forced into crossing the creek with it and then crossing back to walk Lily out. But in the end it was totally worth it and will give the both of us a memory to share forever. 

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Lily's first deer

Post  bowGal on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:20 pm

Awesome   read  Vic,  Big congrat's to  Lily, and you also for   taking her out,    Thanks for sharing and  the big ole  smile, this success  story brought to  my face,
 Between  her and Holly,  bud  lol!    you  better get another job, for more  Huntress gear!
 And  I have no doubt your loving every minute of it!!!!!!
 Did   your daughter get  out this year?

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Maniac Outdoors on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:35 pm

Congratulations to Lily,  that is down right AWESOME.
Maniac Outdoors
Admin
Admin

http://usahuntingpros.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:49 pm

Great job lily and vic!  That patience and perseverance is going to be very useful through life.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:16 pm

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!  Congrats to both of you!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Hey Vic , imagine that , the dreaded gun season was a huge success and put a smile on your face Very Happy Very Happy !!! CONGRATS  to Lily on her 1st deer , way to go Lily !!!! Here's hoping this is the 1st of many more !! That rock she is on looks familiar and the area you said you had to go thru really sounds like Rattlesnake !!! I can remember being back in there thinking what a chore it would be to drag a bear out of there. Anyway great to hear you took her out and hopefully your gonna mount her 1st !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  impactarcher on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:36 am

Congrats to your daughter!   Great pics!

impactarcher
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:46 pm

Awesome Vic, congrats to her. Great read and that smile is what its all about, love the pics.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum