Hey Vic or Rick

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hey Vic or Rick

Post  bowGal on Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:54 pm

How far are you guy's from the  town of  Benezette / Winslow hill  Road? And  Vic  is this where you go when you go photograph  some of those  Elk in your photo's,   Reading  an article  in the   New " Bugle" Magazine titled  311 reasons to See More  Elk in  Pa.,
 Sound's like it might be a  good place to take a long road trip some day, Wink
 Yes the article state's 350,000 tourist  travel this  road to  view the elk,  and that had been a problem due to the  narrow road and not  many area's to actually pull of the road  to park,  It did say  the PGC recently  purchased  81 acre's.( from a  willing  landowner   Woodring  Farm area with the  help from RMEF,  

Let me know what time of year would be the best time  to visit this area.

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Hey Vic or Rick

Post  Mountainman Vic on Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:49 pm

Barb, Bennezzette is 23 miles from me. In fact I was through there today. I try to avoid it as much as I can as it typically brings out my road rage dealing with all the tourist. Holly and I don't typically go there to see elk, because it's too commercialized. I've told you before that you and Larry always have a place to stay here. As for when to come here to see them, I guess that depends on what you want to see. They are here all year and this time of year over winter typically has the elk down low looking for feed. The tops of the mountains are normally under a couple feet of snow. If you want to hunt sheds, the best time is the first of second week of March. If you want to see them in Velvet, Come in July. If you want to see them While you hunt spring turkey, figure the first week of May. And if you want to see them going crazy in rut, come the second or third week of September.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:04 pm

That's about 2 hours or so for me , depending on my driving style , it could take less time Very Happy Very Happy !!! I haven't been up there for a few years, long before they spent that 3 million or whatever on the building !! Like Vic said , for us , its the fast lane to road rage !!! September is NOT the time to go there , that seems to be the busiest simply because the city people will hear a bugle Very Happy !!! But all you need to do is head right down the road from Vics to the Willows , always elk in the field next to it. Plus the elk up there just aren't all that wild, more like a zoo animal. Head up in the mountains to see the wild ones. Then again , just about anytime of year is good to head up there , walk to the top of the mountain and just listen to the wind. Plus the food and beer at the club is pretty good also !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum