long term trend changes on a farm

View previous topic View next topic Go down

long term trend changes on a farm

Post  soil on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:26 pm

i've got a question for those of you who have hunted the same piece of property over a long span.  have you ever noticed changes in the 'trends' of antler characteristics on the bucks on the farm?  when i was first getting into hunting and for a period of about 5 years i noticed that the majority of the bucks in one area i hunted had short brow tines.  it was literally surprising to see any buck with much over 3 inch brow tines despite the 2s and 3s being 12 and 10 inches.  fast forward to today, and that same spot (which i now live an hour from and rarely hunt) is producing bucks with exceptional brows.  i got 4 on camera this year that i believe are over 6 inches and several that are over 3. 
i'm hoping that this is a common occurence, that antler characteristics can change over time in a given area, because i'm tired of the high number of 6 point frames we have here locally the last 5 or so years!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: long term trend changes on a farm

Post  bowGal on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:01 am

Good topic  Josh, 
will reply later on this one,  ( have to go to work) pale

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:29 pm

I am sure it is possible to get new bucks from far away places to take up residence and spread genes on your place. Possibly change up the gene pool. Even this late in the year I am still having new bucks show up almost weekly that I have never seen before. I have 3  different genetic types on the farm that have repeated year after year, but every once in a while I will get something crazy. Like one with drop tines or a typical 6x6
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:43 am

Awesome awesome topic!  I have a property where I hunt Rockstar and Elk Buck with the same problem.  It's just too hectic today to respond the way this needs!  Consider this marked for future comment Like a Star @ heaven
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:51 pm

Absolutely, definitely see specific characteristics show up in certain areas, and these do change over time. Seems like just one really successful breeder buck who moves into an area and lives a long life, does alot of breeding can change everything. In one of our areas, we had one huge buck with double drop beams in one area 7-8 years ago, he was a huge bodies deer that lived to be 8 or 9 and was a very successful breeder and now those genes are very common. Right at home, we had a big long-lived 8 point around for years and it seems like almost every buck is a 4 point now, whereas when we first moved there it was all 10 points.  Definitely not that cut and dried usually and there are always exceptions, but can see trends for sure.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:50 pm

I haven't hunted one place long enough to tell if they change but I have some pretty strong genes behind my house. 95 percent of the deer are 8 points and they either have long 2s with short 3s like the one in my profile picture or they have long 3s that lean forward and their beams pull up
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:10 am

My opinion is based solely on observation (Or you could say redneck research!), I have observed antler characteristics change in an area I have hunted for 33 years!  I have long suspected that I was seeing relatives of former bucks I would get to know by trail camera pics.  I attribute the fact that we now get to know bucks in our areas far better than years ago because of the use of the cameras.  By reviewing so many thousands of pictures and comparing new bucks to old ones, we really are studying and noticing genetic trends and seeing the offspring of bucks long gone...in my unscientific opinion of course!
    So plain words....very often I will notice a new buck and see brows or characteristic sticker points and wonder if he was the offspring of a past buck I had so many pics of.  So I rush to dig up old pics to compare the two.
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum