Opening Day Bucks

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Opening Day Bucks

Post  MEhunter on Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:51 am

One of my closest friends and myself had a pretty good opening day of rifle season this year. About 30 minutes after shooting light opening morning my buddy texts me a picture of a buck he had just killed. I told him to swing over with him after he got out of the woods and I would come out and snap some photos of him. He made it up my way around 11 and I slipped out of the woods and snapped a few pictures of his deer. He was a barrel chested brute, that tipped the scales at 231.

As we were finishing up taking pictures it began to rain pretty steady. I ran back to my camp, switched into my rain gear and headed up into an area that was cut 7-8 years ago. It's an excellent area to take your time and still hunt through. Lots of old skidder roads, clearings and swaily areas that offer some pretty good shooting if you're lucky too see one. Well I hadn't gotten 10 minutes into my hunt while i was slowly working my way up an old skid road right on the edge of a swail swamp. I noticed quite a few fresh tracks along the skid road that were heading into the swamp. A couple trails were really beat down. I was actually thinking to myself, man i need to move the stand i have 200 yards away over to this spot when i looked to my left and saw a tail slowly bounding away in the swail. The deer turned and hit the skid road and I instantly saw he had a big body a fairly decent rack so up the gun went and the shooting started. Was able to get 4 quick ones off at him as he bounded across the road. I knew I had hit him pretty good on the first shot by the way his body reacted. I got up to where he was and was able to find some pretty good blood. Normally I would have let him lay, but with the steady rain falling and a forecast for it to actually pick up, I continued after him. About 75 yards into the blood trail I spotted him standing in another skid road and was able to finish the deal. I instantly called my buddy back up and told him to return to help me get him out and so that we could get a couple photos of the two deer together. The rain didn't allow for too many pictures, but we were able to get a few good ones. My deer was actually a little longer than his was, but didn't have nearly the body mass of his, mine dressed at 204

first two pictures i took when we got back to him with the wheeler.

Couple photos of him 6 days before i got him. He was just over a half mile, as the crow flies, in these pics from where i shot him.

And a few photos of the deer together...

It was a good ride into town and over to my buddys barn with these guys in the truck.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Re: Opening Day Bucks

Post  shedder on Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:59 am

Congrats to both of you on a couple of great bucks!  Sounds like a great season!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:57 pm

Congratulation's  you two,
 and my gosh  the  photo's   having me  so ready for winter to get over,
 Sweet license plate also Wink

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:05 pm

Great bucks Dave. The foliage was perfect for pics.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

Awesome pics and great bucks!  Congrats Dave, love the colors in the pics.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum