wind direction, buck movement

View previous topic View next topic Go down

wind direction, buck movement

Post  soil on Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:41 pm

i had some time off today and decided to do a little research on the 2 deer i hope to be chasing next season.  i located all the daytime trail camera pictures of each of the deer and then looked back at the wind directions those days to see how these bucks were traveling. 

Uno, 3 yrs old i think this year, only showed up during shooting light on my cameras on 5 occasions.  all from november 15th-20th.  twice in the morning and 3 times in the evening.  i got hundreds of pictures of him all over the farm in the dark, but i think it's significant that both mornings were on one camera and both evenings on a different one about 300 yards across a field.  strangely, he was moving with the wind either straight at his butt or quartering from his back 4 times and only once with the wind quartering into his face.  i have my doubts he does this next year. Rolling Eyes

the 'neighbors shed buck' showed up often between midnight and dawn in a much smaller area than uno, but only made 1 appearance right at last shooting light on november 21st.  he is 4 and a bit wiser i suppose as he was walking with the wind directly in his face.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: wind direction, buck movement

Post  bowGal on Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:51 pm

josh as  wild as it sounds, Brutus has  moved more  all season with the wind  up his butt,, which really   made hunting him  a little harder, being as old as he is who  would of thought  he would do any daylight traveling the way he has this year,
 but to be honest,  on every hunt be it  this farm or our old pike  farm   The  deer  here  alway's  come in from every direction- I stuck true to  holding off doing much if  any early season hunting, (first  3 week's Oct., )  when trying to set up on brutus  set   strict rule's  on myself  by not going to this stand or that stand because the wind's were  wrong- to be honest that will not happen again next year Wink

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:22 pm

I think sometimes we put too much into the wind deal. Barb you just said it best , they come from every direction. I really don't worry about the wind at all here at the house. 90% of my wind is from the west , s.w. or n.w. , and what's on all those sides, homes !! Truthfully the deer here rely more on sight and sound than the wind , or at least they act that way Very Happy ! Now go a mile up the road and they could be totally different , that's why I still say deer are just like woman , just when we think we got it figured out , they change it up Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!!!! Barb I do have to ask , because I hear this a lot , why wait until the 3rd or 4th week of October to hunt ?? I could never understand this , it is much easier to pattern deer when its early and they are still on the food pattern compared to trying to figure out rutting buck that's running all over the place .
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:45 pm

Pa. Bowhunter wrote:I think sometimes we put too much into the wind deal. Barb you just said it best , they come from every direction. I really don't worry about the wind at all here at the house. 90% of my wind is from the west , s.w. or n.w. , and what's on all those sides, homes !! Truthfully the deer here rely more on sight and sound than the wind , or at least they act that way Very Happy ! Now go a mile up the road and they could be totally different , that's why I still say deer are just like woman , just when we think we got it figured out , they change it up Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!!!! Barb I do have to ask , because I hear this a lot , why wait until the 3rd or 4th week of October to hunt ?? I could never understand this , it is much easier to pattern deer when its early and they are still on the food pattern compared to trying to figure out rutting buck that's running all over the place .
 Rick this was the first year ever in my life  that I stayed out of any stand the first 3 week's of a season,  Dummy me  read to many articles and listened too many other folks that " said " stay our of the wood's until then when your hunting  Big ole mature  whitetail's,  ( Maybe that holds true in some area's, just like  the nonsence that rut hunting is the best time to be out, )  Bull crap ! I have always  said our best hunts on this farm and even the old one  were  early season   and late season,  ,    LOL and   I know my scent is more exceptible then  Larry and  Bob's all year long Wink

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:19 pm

When the year ends and I only got shooters on cams during daylight in November, that's all the reason I need to stay out of those spots in October.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:39 pm

Just curious is there a piece of software or a website that tells you the wind direction from earlier in the season? I use weather.com and a weather app on my phone to check wind projections for now and a couple days in the future. I don't think either let's you go back to a specific date to give you details though
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:56 pm

The best time to kill a big buck is when you see him.   Guzzle  and that means early late or mid. If you see a buck on a pattern early and you think you can get in front of him without alerting him, you better get him killed. Only thing for sure with them is they wont do the same thing for very long. 

Seriously,  when a deer beds the will almost always bed with the wind at their backside.  They use their eyes for what they cant use their noses for. The only time I have ever really noticed a deer using the wind in their face  traveling is when they are uncertain over something they have seen or heard first.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:43 pm

Here you go catfish willy. Enter your zip code and historical date you'd like to see. 
http://www.wunderground.com/history/

Big willy, lol.....maybe I should say older willy.....the home farm I hunt here is 90% field with very little timber, so I have to hunt edges a lot.  When you hunt edges what is the wind direction you prefer to hunt?  Wind blowing from the field toward the woods, or from the woods into the field?  I'm ready to learn!!!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:39 pm

Thanks soil! I'm deffinitly bookmarking that. Looks like the two bucks I hunted that I had the most pictures of moved in daylight with the wind from all directions all summer. Both of them probably 3 year olds. When season came in one disappeared like last year and the other was purely nocturnal until the first week of October when he came in with the wind to his back and I shot him. Never recovered but never showed up on camera so I can only assume he died but disappeared last year October 18th so who knows. Third week of October I had a buck show up from last year nightly that was either 3 or 4 but he disappeared the night before gun season. Only day he moved in daylight on camera was with the wind straight up his back. I seen him one afternoon from the stand running full speed after a doe into the wind but he was going to follow that doe wherever she ran. No real pattern this season but deffinitly something to keep an eye on in the future
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:27 am

catfish willy wrote:Just curious is there a piece of software or a website that tells you the wind direction from earlier in the season? I use weather.com and a weather app on my phone to check wind projections for now and a couple days in the future. I don't think either let's you go back to a specific date to give you details though

http://www.wunderground.com/history
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:22 am

For me I went back and found 3 of the bucks that I shot, according to the Wunderground website, came into my ambush with the wind at their back side.  

This first one came in out of the W with a SW wind at 10MPH at 1:40 in the afternoon on November 6th.  He came in to Rattling and grunting.  I wanted to throw that out there as it was not natural movement.  He was 3 1/2 years old according to my taxidermist. 

This guy also came out of the W with a WNW wind at 11MPH at 10:30 in the morning on November 7th.  He too was rattled and grunted in.  He was a 4 1/2 year old taxidermist estimate.  

My third one Came in out of the NW with the winds coming from the WNW at 3MPH at about 9:00am on October 25th.  I never got an estimate on his age from the taxidermist but the guy at the meat locker said 270#.  Natural deer movement in by means of buck chasing doe so again maybe not a great indicator...that makes 3 of my mature buck kills coming with the wind up the buck's back.

Going thru some of my trail cam pics.  I am finding that my bigger bucks are traveling past my cams with the wind to their back in close to 1/2 my pics that I have checked so far!  I also am finding that temps on trail cams are not super accurate and have some days where they are better than others! 
Interesting post...Barb you have been trying to tell us!

Sorry...I just realized someone had already posted the site for the old weather data.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:28 pm

I have killed bucks on every wind direction and every month of the season out of my best stand. Like Barb and Willy said, they move when they want to and from the direction they want. I usually stay out of an area until I know there is one I want in there. I went back this summer and checked the wind directions for every buck I killed hoping to find a pattern. Thinking maybe big deer moved through certain areas more with certain winds. I didn't find a pattern. That may be because wind here is always sketchy. Even when the wind is right, it will back draft and swirl, throw thermals in and it's never perfect. I don't pay a lot of attention to the wind when hunting except early season. The only time I have a problem with wind and my scent is September. I think over a period of time deer learn where they come in contact with human scent and use those areas more cautiously. I know I have watched bucks come from several hundred yards away with not a care in the world. Then get real cautious around a camera set and avoid it.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:41 pm

I guess every buck is different. My buddy watched a big 4 year old this season. The buck ONLY showed up in the clover/turnip plot during daylight on a southeast wind. Needless to say he is pumped for those rare southeast winds next season!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:12 pm

I say every deer is different !! I also say those deer are different each and every day . They will tolerate one thing today and tomorrow it can send them into the next county !!! The deer here by the house will walk each trail I do , walk the same edge as I do and so on. I still say it all depends on what mood they are in , and not what some writer says they will do.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:50 pm

I was going to comment asking if the buck could see in the direction he was going? In my area I find the farmland deer use sight a lot more, and move much more with the wind at their back, and are also much more tolerant of human scent because they are used of it. But when we get 20 miles back in the forest, those deer exclusively move with the wind in their face, and do not tolerate human scent at all, could have something to do with the wolves too!

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum