Gun lucky!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gun lucky!

Post  chukbuk on Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:55 am

My Aunt called the other day to tell me she had some guns for me that were my Uncle's.  He passed away 7 years ago and I had figured his guns went to closer members of the family.  She said she wanted them to go to someone that would use them instead of sell them!  
     I went to her house with another Uncle and we found 5 guns in their cases wrapped in plastic bags and then rolled in a blanket in the cellar!  Uh- oh, I thought...if they have been there 7 years, they will have rust.  Well back at his house, I tore off cracked masking tape and black trash bags that revealed musty smelling gun cases!  Expecting junk, I un cased the first gun.  It was a Western Auto brand, pump 12 gauge.  I chuckled... Didn't know they made guns. Next was an old single shot 20 gauge Iverson and something brand,  my uncle remembered it.  
     The 3rd gun was really dirty as I pulled it out, it was a bolt action 22 and it was still loaded.  I'm sure glad I was careful carrying the pile of guns...my uncle did warn me that me deceased uncle kept loaded guns around the house!  Holy crap I said, what if kids had gotten into the guns in her basement!  Anyway, the 4th gun was a find....a Savage 22 long rifle over a 410!  I was thrilled, always wanted one!  It was in really good shape!
     Last gun was in a long skinny case....turned out to be a percussion, Pennsylvania long rifle!  Barrel was crusty, but I think it will clean up well.  It will make a fine gift for my hunting buddies boy who is earning his Eagle Scout honor soon!
     Been really lucky lately like that...now if I could only transfer some of that luck into a buck this afternoon when I head out!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Re: Gun lucky!

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:17 pm

Ah yes , the dreaded soft gun cases !! Worst thing EVER for gun storage !!!! We had a friend of the family pass on a few years ago and his wife only trusted me to check out his guns and figure a price to sell them at in the future. She was told by a person "who knew his guns" that she had at least $20,000 worth. She had them laid out on the floor when I got there and they were  all in soft sided cases. Sad thing , they all has rust on the inside and outside, The only one that could be saved ( with some machine work and re-blueing ) was a Model 88 in 308 . Then she found a 22 inside a cedar closet , just standing in the corner. It was covered in dust but absolutely no rust !! The one shotgun was a field grade ( don't remember the brand anymore ) but if it was 1 grade higher and had no rust it would have been a $15,000 gun !! I came up with a high and low price and when she was ready I had a guy interested , he came down , checked all the guns. Asked me a price and I told him its wrote on a paper in my pocket, if you get in between the guns are yours. He offered $450 , my paper had 425-475 . It should have been in the range of 2500-3000 , that's what a soft sided case does Sad Sad !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum