Let's Pray Iowa does not over react.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Let's Pray Iowa does not over react.

Post  bowGal on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:20 pm

DNR Press release

For immediate release: January 20, 2015

TWO WILD DEER TEST POSITIVE FOR CHONIC WASTING DISEASE IN ALLAMAKEE COUNTY

DES MOINES – Two wild deer harvested during the recent hunting season have been confirmed positive for chronic wasting disease in Allamakee County.

The first case of chronic wasting disease (CWD) in a wild Iowa deer was confirmed in Allamakee County in 2014.

“This is precisely why we stepped up our efforts to increase the number of samples in a five-mile surveillance area around where we found the positive sample in 2014. The more information we have, the better position we are going to be in to implement a strategy to slow the spread,” said Iowa Department of Natural Resources Wildlife Bureau Chief Dale Garner.

“We can’t thank hunters enough for helping us collect the samples we needed,” said Garner.

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is currently working to obtain as much information as possible about the infected deer to implement its CWD response plan. 
Currently, approximately half of the 300 samples collected in the surveillance area have been processed. Once all of the samples have been analyzed, Garner said public meetings will be scheduled in Allamakee County to discuss the results with the local public. DNR plans to collect additional samples.

CWD is a neurological disease affecting primarily deer and elk. It is caused by an abnormal protein, called a prion that attacks the brains of infected animals, causing them to lose weight, display abnormal behavior and lose bodily functions. Signs include excessive salivation, thirst and urination, loss of appetite, progressive weight loss, listlessness and drooping ears and head. The only reliable test for CWD requires testing of lymph nodes or brain material after the animal is dead.

There is currently no evidence that humans contract CWD by eating venison. However, the World Health Organization and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommend that hunters do not eat the brain, eyeballs or spinal cord of deer and that hunters wear protective gloves while field dressing game and boning out meat for consumption.

Prior to the positive detection in Iowa, CWD had been previously detected in every bordering state.

Since 2002, the DNR has collected more than 900 samples of deer from within a five-mile radius of where the deer are believed to have been harvested. Statewide, approximately 57,000 wild deer have been tested since 2002.

Media contact: Kevin Baskins, Iowa Department of Natural Resources, at 515-725-8288.

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's Pray Iowa does not over react.

Post  Willy on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:55 am

it will be interesting for sure.  They show no mercy for high fence places that test positive. I cant see it being any different for wild deer. they require complete extermination of every animal on a high fence when they test positive .
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:43 am

I hope they dont overreact too Barb!   When it was first found up here 10 years ago they basically made it open season on deer in some areas, I know guys who shot 15 deer a year legally. Many areas were wiped out and are just now starting to recover. And guess what, there is still CWD all over Sask! Always will be here IMO.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:33 pm

Have anyone you been keeping up with this?, Sounds like  the  high powered rifles  moved in to  certain area's  today to  start some  killing Crying or Very sad

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:23 am

Alarming!  I'm kinda worried about the fact that there may be hunters out there eating deer eyeballs, brains and spinal cords!  Where are these wackos?
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum