Cape Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cape Question

Post  catfish willy on Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:08 pm

This might be kind of long since I'm not exactly sure how to explain it or if its even an option and its probably gonna be a bunch of questions. After I shot my buck last year instead of taking the time to boil it off like I should've I tried burying it to see how they turned out. I had planned to leave town the next day and should've known I would regret it because it didn't turn out anything like I was told they would. Lesson learned I'm never burying another one and I think when I have the extra money I'm gonna to have him mounted. I didn't take any measurements though before I cut him up so I have no idea what size cape to try to find and I was hoping one of the taxidermists that have done enough of them could maybe get a close estimation from looking at it. The pictures are the clearest daylight pictures I had on photobucket but they are probably the best ones I had anyway. He wasn't a very old buck and it was late in the season when I shot him. I killed him two days after the pictures. Unless the taxidermist happened to save on from a euro mount or something I may have to find a fake one but I wouldn't even know where to look for one. I googled synthetic deer cape but couldn't find much other than how to cape one out. Is this something a taxidermist could order? If so about how much would it cost?

catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Re: Cape Question

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:34 pm

Check your local taxi and ask him. At one time guys around here would buy capes off of guys who weren't getting their bucks mounted. With the cost of everything going up though , not sure how many still do it.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  wihunter24 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:06 pm

I've had to get new capes a couple times due to having deer re-mounted after the originals faded and / or looked like crap.  In both instances my taxidermist had capes on hand and ready to go.  He'd gotten them from locals who'd shot good bucks but weren't going to shoulder mount them.  Maybe I'm wierd and notice it more than others, but deer from different parts of the USA look different, and sure didn't want a cape from something shot in Kansas for example.  As for size of the cape he used.... I just told him the field dressed weight of the deer and when it was shot and said I wanted a good sized cape that was in good condition and didn't make the deer look like a giraffe, while at the same time not looking like had been on a steroid diet.  The cape he ended up using on one of the mounts looked better than the original and combined with a better form, made the deer look great- not to mention a lot bigger body wise.  For cost..... Since my taxidermist was doing the mount he charged me $40 for a cape that was tanned and ready to go.  If you were going to buy a cape from him and go to another taxidermist or do whatever else with it, he said his price would have been a little higher.  Another taxidermist around here always has capes on hand and I think charges $25-30 apiece, assuming he's the one that's going to be mounting it.  

Lots of capes available on Ebay as well- search "whitetail cape"
wihunter24
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:37 pm

Thanks guys. I will need to ride over to the new taxidermist to see what his work looks like and what his prices are and stuff. I will ask if he has any capes on hand.
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:26 pm

It looks like a 17-18" cape Willy. A lot of our deer you can pretty much size the cape by their age. I really wish I would have know this earlier,  I gave away 3 capes back it June because I didn't really have a use for them. I had a September 18", a November 18" swelled, and a 20" swelled November cape and all of them were already tanned and ready to mount. Like everyone else said a taxidermist usually has a few spare capes.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:32 pm

On a side note if you ever try another European mount there are 100 ways to do them. The easiest I have ever found was to skin the hide off the head, cut off the lower jaw, and pressure wash it with a high power tip. It will get it clean as a whistle with no cooking brain smell and no mud covered and stained head full of bugs.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:43 pm

Thanks boss I appreciate it but might already have one found any way. The year I shot my first buck and my dad's biggest we skinned them off and got as much as we could with a knife then simmered them and picked them clean. I might have to try it with a pressure washer if I kill another one I don't plan to mount. That sounds faster and simpler.
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum